We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did the Ball Drop?? in Time's Square

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Did the Ball Drop?? in Time's Square

Is it just me ... did I miss it? I watched the countdown live from New York. But, it showed the Ball at the top. The countdown started. The Ball did some flashing. Below the Ball in lights was "2010" TOSHIBA "Happy New Year" TOSHIBA. Some other various advertising below. BUT it didn't show the Ball actually drop.

Did it drop? Because, it didn't show it on TV. I thought it was pretty anti-climatic looking and with all the advertisement below the Ball . . . . Ho Hummmm looking.

Just seems like from years past everything under the ball was dark and it followed a track that went down. I didn't see that this year. Just advertisement below the ball.

Just curious. Not going to lose sleep but was wondering.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Did the Ball Drop?? in Time's Square

Hi elizzie,

I thought the exact same thing. We decided to avoid the craziness of Times Square to watch it on TV but I was so disappointed as there was no ball drop from what I could see, just advertising as you said.

Afterwards, someone on the TV said "There's no better place to be in the world on NYE" (or words to that effect). I turned to my family and said I think I'd rather be in Sydney because you can at least see the fireworks on the Harbour Bridge (ha, ha). All in all, very disappointing television. Still, I'm very glad to be in NYC for the new decade.

Happy New Year,

Dee

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Did the Ball Drop?? in Time's Square

Hey Dee - I certainly didn't expect to get a reply from someone in NYC tonight! It's only 10:30 p.m. here in San Diego and I've now seen a rerun of the so-called ball drop and well, it didn't drop on the rerun either. It was nothing more than just a bunch of advertisement. It looked Really Cheesy to me.

But, like you said, 1) Good you didn't go to TS. I saw the tape of the Fireworks in Sydney Harbor and WOW!!! Much better than Times Square any day!! Even the Fireworks in London were fantastic!

2) BUT you are in New York City !! Yeah!

Enjoy your time in great New York City and HAPPY New Year!

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Did the Ball Drop?? in Time's Square

The Ball did drop. Here's a replay for you.

http://newyears.earthcam.com/ts/

Philadelphia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Did the Ball Drop?? in Time's Square

Maybe it's my computer, but I didn't see the stupid ball drop on your video stream either. What's the real story?

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Did the Ball Drop?? in Time's Square

Maybe the ball was playing a trick.

ny1.com/1-all-boroughs-news-content/…

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Did the Ball Drop?? in Time's Square

couldnt see it either :o(

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Did the Ball Drop?? in Time's Square

The ''ball'' dropped - it;'s 2010 - get on with it - Happy New Year!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Did the Ball Drop?? in Time's Square

Happy New Year Poppa!

TS looks FAR too crowded! Wouldnt catch us there!!

LMV - 2009 Mellie Winner

9. Re: Did the Ball Drop?? in Time's Square

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 January 2010, 19:59
Edited: 01 January 2010, 19:59
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,350 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Did the Ball Drop?? in Time's Square

Not sure how you could not see the ball in the video clip - it's the GIANT GLOWING THING on the stick. AT the count of zero it stops glowing and the 2010 sign lights up.