We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve Party Cruise (2009/2010)

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve Party Cruise (2009/2010)

I am posting this review because it is a question that seems to come up a lot and I was one of those people agonising over what would be the best value for money without being too crowded.

I am 52 (male) and my partner is 55 (female). I booked the Circle Line Cruise, which included free bar and canapés with party favours and champagne toast for $120 per person. Being considerably cheaper than a lot of other choices I was slightly apprehensive about what to expect but what the hell, fireworks over the Statue of Liberty while drinking champagne, what more could I ask for.

I have to say that I was extremely impressed. Numbers were just right and even though it was sleeting most of the time thus encouraging everyone to stay inside until midnight, it definitely did not feel too crowded. The guests were a mixture of all ages and nationalities; the staff were very welcoming and friendly. The canapés were constantly being offered around and were a very impressive selection of hot and cold food including seafood. After the initial queue for drinks went down there was never more than a 5 minute wait and the staff actively tried to reduce waiting times by offering bottles of beer and wine down the length of the queue. All types of alcohol appeared to be available and there was never a shortage of anything even at the very end of the cruise.

There was also a DJ playing really good, classic dance music (although this is obviously very subjective).

Everyone was well behaved, good-natured and had a marvellous time with no obvious drunkenness.

I can fully recommend this option for the future and would not hesitate to book it again.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve Party Cruise (2009/2010)

It's always good to hear that someone's New Year's Eve - or other special day/evening went off really well and you were pleased.

Did the fireworks go off near the Statue of Liberty at midnight? earlier? could you see where they were being shot off from? I've never even known that fireworks were set off near the statue so I'm just curious.

Happy new year.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve Party Cruise (2009/2010)

Thanks for this! I've declined to recommend the Circle Line's New Year's Cruise here because of reports (albeit somewhat outdated) that it was over-booked with looooong lines to get drinks at the bars, no room for dancing whatsoever, etc. Glad that your experience last week was much more positive!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve Party Cruise (2009/2010)

The fireworks appeared to be set off from Ellis Island. Our boat was one of many that were spread out in front of the Statue of Liberty.

Due to low cloud and sleet, we could not see any fireworks over Manhatten but we did notice some over Brooklyn. The Brooklyn fireworks started a few seconds before the others (obviously they forgot to syncronyse watches)!

Neutral Bay...
Level Contributor
252 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve Party Cruise (2009/2010)

Your review is fantastic! Based on this I think I will go ahead and book this thankyou!

5. Re: New Years Eve Party Cruise (2009/2010)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2010, 05:15