We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Topic
Location?

So we have rebooked for September - We have booked a hotel downtown, but my partner had came across another one - really lovely hotel..... Ravel Hotel in Long Island City.....

He claims this is not too far - we are happy to use the metro (only $27 so great bargain)

You guys who live thier know better. Are we very far out?

Ravel Hotel

8-08 Queens Plaza South, LIC,

NY, 11101

Thanks

Looking at the map - it looks to be at very bottom of central park, but then on booking.com it states long island....

Confused

Edited: 07 January 2010, 23:54
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,417 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location?

A lot of people think the cheaper prices in Long Island City are worth the slight inconvenience. But I wouldn't pick the Ravel. The Country Inn & Suites or the Verve are the best options in LIC. If you haven't already bought plane tickets, go the first week in Sept. when prices are a fraction of later in the month.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Location?

Thanks Whiz... Is the Ravel not great? looks lovely.

Ok fantastic... Will have a look at others.

thank you

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location?

What hotel have you already booked downtown, is it really downtown (imo wall street area), as I would say that's not a great area.

Also, it's January. I've only just booked for March, and won't even start planning my September trip til at least May, and book that in July.. just because there ain't many hotel deals around right now...

M

Edited: 08 January 2010, 00:10
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Location?

Had 3 Italian cousins visiting last March; they stayed at the Ravel. I thought their room was really quite nice and it had a balcony. Great roof top bar (I'm sure it's nicer in warmer weather). The location is fine; you'll be directly across the river from Manhattan. You may not like the look of the area when you first arrive (there is an abandoned building across the street), but it's fine. A short walk down Vernon Blvd you'll find some good restaurants and bars. If you're getting a good price, I think you'll be happy.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location?

Have you seen the TripAdvisor reviews of the Ravel? Even taking some of the negative ones with a hefty grain of salt and discounting comments about the immediate environs, I wouldn't book there... especially since there are better, and usually lower-priced options, in Long Island City.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g48080-d1026626…

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Location?

Thanks folks...

Mark, just looking at the minute as the depression has not yet lifted. We also got good deal on a direct flight, so thought what the hell......

Think we should wait till April. The hotel Downtown is near Chinatown (we stayed close to it our last trip) it is not the best location, but close to metro etc...

Thank you also for review on the ravel - thanks

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Location?

yeah been looking now CC...

I will keep looking - Thanks as always

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location?

Just for the record, Long Island and Long Island City are two different things. The former is not appropriate for an NYC visit, the latter is located in NYC.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,273 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Location?

Splash, no idea what map you're looking at, but th Ravel is in the borough of Queens. Central Park is in the borough of Manhattan. The Ravel isn't near the "bottom" of Central Park, unless you cross a bridge over the East River first.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Location?

The boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens, which comprise part of New York City, are physically located on the island of Long Island (two other counties, Nassau and Suffolk, are also on Long Island but are not part of NYC).. This is separate from the island of Manhattan, which also comprises part of NYC (the Bronx and Staten Island are the other boroughs of NYC).

Long Island City is an area of Queens -- politically part of NYC, geographically located on Long Island. In a nutshell, you can be on Long Island and in NYC at the same time. With thanks to my 5th grade social studies teacher.....