We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doubletree Suites Times Square New Year's Eve Experience?

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Doubletree Suites Times Square New Year's Eve Experience?

I have booked a room, with award points, for the Doubletree Times Square for next New Year's Eve 2010/11. What can I expect for the New Years Eve experience? We wish to be in Times Square and experience all New York Times Square New Years Event.

I understand revelers must get there early, and are herded into pens. I've read that at some hotels, like the Marriott Marquis, guest wishing to go in and out to use the restroom not easy. However, I am only interested in the Doubletree Suites TS, and if guest there are able to go in and out. Do Doubletree guest also have to get herded into a pen early in the day?

Is there anyone who was a guest of the doubletree this year who can share their experience or advice?

Simply, we would be happy to be in a "pen" at/near the Doubletree, but able to go in an out for restroom breaks. Any and all information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Doubletree Suites Times Square New Year's Eve Experience?

During the month of December there were tons of threads on this subject.

I think one is called "wrap up" or something.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Doubletree Suites Times Square New Year's Eve Experience?

One thing I am sure of... you will have a blast

You do have to arrive early if you plan to be penned in all day.... However we noticed that the local hotels had people at every window... lucky enough to watch it all unfold from thier hotel. I would check with your hotel on their policy. I am sure the NYPD have a say though....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,686 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Doubletree Suites Times Square New Year's Eve Experience?

Once you are in a pen you cannot leave to use the restroom and return to the same spot - you will not be allowed back into the spot you had.

Your best bet, in my opinion, is to ask the hotel these questions directly.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doubletree Suites Times Square New Year's Eve Experience?

I know you're looking for very current NYE info on this hotel, swdke, not experiences from years gone by at a different place. If no one on the forum can give that specific feedback, keep your eyes on the formal hotel reviews posted for the Doubletree:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93352-R…

Hopefully, one or more guests who were there on 12/31/09 will recap what it was like... although that will not be an iron-clad guarantee of what 12/31/10 will be for you.

Edited: 08 January 2010, 16:15
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doubletree Suites Times Square New Year's Eve Experience?

I answered this on the other forum you posted the question and my short answer is I would not depend on it and my past specific experience was with the Marriott Marquis and some time ago but we could not leave the pen and the doors facing the square were locked. The Doubletree is the same set up but on the other side of the square... Bottom line is that each block is in the control of the NYPD and if they say no then it is no. I would not trust anyones stated experiences on this or any other forum on this topic it really is a night by night thing and next year everything could change

dublin
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Doubletree Suites Times Square New Year's Eve Experience?

We stay at the Double Tree this year from the 27th till the 2nd!

You will have access in and out of the Hotel no problem all night BUT you will not have access on to times square! When you leave the hotel you are ushered straight around the corner on to 46 street (if my memory serves me correctly!) coming back you come at the hotel from 46th and 6th. only people with a double tree pass were getting in this way but again you are ushered straight into the hotel not standing around!

Rooms with a view of Times Square will run at about $3000 so don't expect to be given one on your rewards point :)! they run whole VIP package around these rooms for the great views!

You get no special treatment at Times Square apart from being allowed through the barriers to the hotel if you want to be out in the pens you have to que from early like everyone else!

There was also a private party on the sixth floor that the hotel we're not running but it didn't seem to effect the smooth running of the Hotel in any way!

In Short its a wonderful hotel but just because you are staying there you will not get special treatment on the whole times square experience! The cops control that!

Hope this helps let me know if you want anymore info!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doubletree Suites Times Square New Year's Eve Experience?

THANKS for this, ross!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doubletree Suites Times Square New Year's Eve Experience?

Ross's experiences this year sound just like mine in a past year. Thanks for that report Ross. i would use this as the gold standard for all questions about how access is handled in hotels surrounding Times Square. This is what the hotel means when they say "oh sure you will be let back into the hotel" what they don't tell you is that it will be through a side door-- same with the Marriott

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Doubletree Suites Times Square New Year's Eve Experience?

ross-dunne, thanks for the information, that's what I wanted to know.

To clarify, so if your in a pen area, and you decide to leave to use the restroom in your room at the Doubltree, then when you return, you're guided way from Times Square. But, what if you want to go back to Times Square? What/where do you have to do/go?

Also, if you have to get herded in a pen along with all the revelers, what's a good time to be out in Times Square?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,686 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Doubletree Suites Times Square New Year's Eve Experience?

If you leave the pen you are in to go for any reason, including going to the bathroom, you will not be allowed back to your spot. You will have to enter into whatever pen is available. NYPD will guide you.

As mentioned above, people who want to be very close to the whole thing start getting there as early as 2 p.m. - people who don't care if they are further away from the whole ball drop thing, get there later.

What has been made clear is that there are no special access perks just because someone is staying at that particular hotel. You will need to go through the same process of the other million or so people who will be coming there.