We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affinia Dumont or other?

BCA
usa
Level Contributor
510 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Affinia Dumont or other?

I've booked a $219 studio suite for two nights in February. We need two beds since there are 3 of us ( teen daughter and my mother) traveling together. I've never stayed at an Affinia before but read some reviews here. Any other suggestions or should I just stick with the Dumont. The location seemed good and central.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
85 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affinia Dumont or other?

I have only stayed at the Affinia Dumont, so I dont have anything to compare to, but my stays in May 2009 and September 2009 were both really enjoyable.

In May I stayed for five nights with my sister and neice in a one bedroom suite (which we got for a steal just by luck) on the 19th floor.

In September I went with my other half for four nights (flying in from California on a red-eye) and we had a junior suite on the 34th floor.

The rooms are clean, modern (although no flat panel tvs) and the kitchen area is really convenient. I found the staff to be polite and helpful. I was particularly impressed with the fact that they got us into a room early on the day we arrived (we landed at JFK at 7 am).

I like the location as its not too touristy yet there are still great places to eat nearby if you dont feel like venturing too far at the end of a long day sight-seeing. The 34 and 16 buses which run across town are right outside on 34th and its just two short blocks to the subway (Park Ave) for the 6 train.

If you stay at the Affinia Dumont ask for a high room - from the 34th floor I had a great view of the Chrysler Building and I could actually see the NYE ball at Times Square!

Enjoy your trip to NY.

BCA
usa
Level Contributor
510 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affinia Dumont or other?

Thanks. The reviews all seem good. I just wonder if there isn't any other comparable priced place that might be better. Anyone else? Grandma is treating for the weekend for my daughter's 18th birthday.

Any advice on a show? We will probably choose between In the Heights and Fela. I think my daughter would love Fuerza Bruta but I think that would be too much for Grandma.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,650 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affinia Dumont or other?

Have you used the Find Available Hotels feature here on TripAdvisor? It's a quick and easy way to shop for hotels, prices are from a number of booking agencies and increasingly often from the hotels themselves; you can refine/sort the results using the categories will appear in the left-hand sidebar & at the top of the results pages -- and unlike, e.g., Expedia, you'll have immediate access to the traveler photos and trip reports here on TA :-)

Hit the green Hotels tab towards the upper left-hand corner of your screen.

Edited: 12 January 2010, 03:04
Toronto
Level Contributor
360 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affinia Dumont or other?

We (grandma, grandad, me (50) and teen daughter stayed in a 1 bedroom suite in August. We ere on 32n flr,and asked for and were given a room with a great view.

Really liked this hotel and area. Not fancy but comfy, with some space (for 4 people we need this, otherwise we get 2 rooms), 2 tvs, small kitchn area-wld not want to cook a meal but fine for brfskt etc.

what i really liked:

1.location-lots of restaurants nearby, we prefer to sometimes stay close to hotel after a long day for dinner;

2. transportation- very near subway, 34 bus, lexington and 3rd streetbus, all of which we used a lot. Can walk easily to Herald Square, Maceys, ESB. We walked from hotel all the way to Central Park and Columbus Circle. This is a longer walk (not sure as we stopped lots along the way, maybe 30 mins with no stops?), easy walk to Grand Central Station, Bryant Park.

3. we found the staff very helpful, and friendly

We would stay there again, but it is not FANCY

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,920 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Affinia Dumont or other?

The studio suites at the Dumont I think have 2 queen beds so that's a good thing and you could likely get a view, another good thing. But it's not a fancy hotel, it's not the most up to date, and the location is not that close to the theater district. I would be more enthusiastic if you were getting a 1 bedroom suite for that price. What are the 2 nights?

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
707 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affinia Dumont or other?

BCA - if you do decide to stay at the Dumont, check their rates online. I just paid $200 for their largest one bedroom suite with two queen beds and pullout sofa, which is a little less than you are paying for a studio. The rate I am paying was not available on the phone, only on their website.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,920 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affinia Dumont or other?

I agree with MML, the rate you're paying for the studio sounds too high but if it's President's weekend/Valentine's Day, it may be that's the reason.

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
131 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Affinia Dumont or other?

If you can, stay the next weekend. I am and hotel rates are dirt cheap. Even the Ritz Battery Park is 245 PLUS a 50 dollar credit. You can get suites at the Affinia for the same price then!

Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Affinia Dumont or other?

I am staying at the Affinia Dumont then, and got a MUCH better rate calling getaroom.com phone # with a $25 rebate, however, you have to agree to that rate BEFORE knowing what it is (non-published), but I was VERY happy indeed with it (comparable to someTravelZoo rates that are impossible to get IMHO). In addition, though there's a $25 non refundable cancellation fee so you have to be pretty sure you are staying there! Hope this helps! (We got a Junior Suite for 3 of us).

BCA
usa
Level Contributor
510 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Affinia Dumont or other?

Very interesting.....I had checked a bit online and then called the hotel as well and the better rate was the $219 from the hotel. I will go back on line to look. I guess it would be nicer to have a larger room but we won't be spending much time there. We don't need fancy but we do want nice. The location is important. We haven't really thought of what we are to do but we usually do a show (thinking In the Heights or Fela) but we don't mind taking the subway or cab if needed.

I'll check out the Affinia Dumont for a better rate but any other ideas?

Our nights are February 19 & 20 (Friday and Saturday)

Thanks!!