We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Guardia to Times Square - Bus or SuperShuttle?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
La Guardia to Times Square - Bus or SuperShuttle?

What is the easiest way to get from LaGuardia to our hotel in the Times Square area? From what I can tell, we have to start by bus from the airport, and then transfer to the subway - is that correct? If so, it makes the SuperShuttle seem like a better way. What do you prefer?

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Guardia to Times Square - Bus or SuperShuttle?

Super shuttle gets very bad marks here and is unreliable... How many of you are there you can also get a private car or taxi. Lugging luggage on the buses and subways can be a challenge especially with little kids.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
125 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Guardia to Times Square - Bus or SuperShuttle?

Just take a taxi. Avoid the super shuttle at all cost. It's sorry service.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Guardia to Times Square - Bus or SuperShuttle?

There are two of us traveling together. It looks like taxi fares are around $25.00. Would that rate be per person, or for the taxi?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Guardia to Times Square - Bus or SuperShuttle?

That will be for the 2 of you. That estimate seems a bit low to me since you do have to get cross-town... don't forget the tip (figure 20%) and the toll for the Queens-Midtown Tunnel, if you don't opt for the free bridge into Manhattan (usually much more of a back-up).

Another option: the express motorcoach from LGA to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, just west of Times Square. Unlike the SuperShuttle or Airline that (eventually) deliver you to your hotel, the NYAS express bus stops at just 3 major points in midtown; we've heard no complaints about their service, at least so far as I can recall. Cost: 12 for 1 person, $19/2 people, $25 for 3 people.

www.nyairportservice.com/page.php?id=81

Edited: 12 January 2010, 02:31
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Guardia to Times Square - Bus or SuperShuttle?

The taxi rate is per ride not per person . Just walk outside baggage and get a yellow cab ONLY. do not listen to the people inside offering you a discount ride.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Guardia to Times Square - Bus or SuperShuttle?

Thanks! The info for NYAS looks pretty straighforward - I think we'll give it a try!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Guardia to Times Square - Bus or SuperShuttle?

New York Airport Service is perfectly adequate but I find it doesn't really save a great deal of time.

Depending on where your hotel is, public transportation is not a bad option. It is how I go to and from LaGuardia.

Depending which hotel you are staying in you may be just steps from the 49th Street station on the N/R/W trains. The M.60 bus connects LaGuardia Airport with the N and W trains at 31st Street. Half the bus gets off here and you'll cross under the elevated subway as the bus pulls in to the stop (you can't miss it - even at night). Alternatively the Q.33 bus goes Jackson Heights where you'll have a multitude of trains to choose from. At least one of those trains will likely get you to within a block or two of your hotel. This will cost a total of $2.25 per person and MetroCards can be purchased at news stands inside LaGuardia Airport.

My experience is a taxi to Times Square usually costs within the $30. - $35. range. You can use a credit card in the taxi. Do not accept rides from people who ask whether you need a ride / need a taxi, etc. If taxi is the way you plan to go - use only a licensed yellow taxi from the taxi line where the uniformed dispatcher is stationed.

Super Shuttle is terrible. Avoid Super Shuttle like the plague.

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Guardia to Times Square - Bus or SuperShuttle?

Since you say "Times Square area", it will all really depend on the hotel you are staying in. Which one and what is the address, with cross streets? Some places that advertise as or are named as being in Times Square can be several blocks from the Port Authority Bus Terminal where the bus will drop off. You will then be burdened with walking or taking a taxi to the hotel. For the small difference in cost, I would rather take a taxi that will drop me off directly at my hotel.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Guardia to Times Square - Bus or SuperShuttle?

I'd book a car service (OUTSIDE PICKUP - they will give you instructions, but basically you just call when you have your bags and they will meet you outside your terminal in 5-10 minutes) in advance for about $40-45 total cost including tip and toll, or take the aiporpt bus to Port Authority Bus Terminal if the $20 you save is important to you. A taxi is on the meter and can cost from $25+tip+toll to 45+tip+toll (or more depending on traffic and time of day) If your hotel in on the east side of times sq the bus to Grand Central may be better, so let us know where the hotel is for better info.

10. Re: La Guardia to Times Square - Bus or SuperShuttle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2010, 06:17