We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discounted hotel rooms: how are you treated by hotel?

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Discounted hotel rooms: how are you treated by hotel?

If you go through PriceLine or BookIt for discounted hotel rooms (e.g. "4-star Mystery Midtown Hotel for only $170 per night" or whatever)--how are you treated by the hotel when you actually are there? Do they know you didn't book through their reservations? Do you get put into smaller, older rooms?

I'm trying to find a good deal on a 2-bedded hotel for a trip with my 75 y.o. mom, and just wondering what happens if we go for one of these "great deals". I don't want to end up being treated like a 2nd class citizen for the sake of saving some money, yet saving $50 per night is no small matter.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discounted hotel rooms: how are you treated by hotel?

Since you need 2 beds, forget Priceline. A Priceline "win" guarantees you only a room with 1 bed that sleeps 2 people. You can ask the hotel for a different kind of room (or a rollaway), but they're not obliged to honor that request from a Priceline customer. And if they are unwilling or unable to do so, you're not entitled to a refund from Priceline.

I've not used Priceline or BookIt because I don't like that much uncertainty. I have, however, used Hotwire on occasion and even been upgraded on a Hotwire reservation.

Yes, the hotel knows you didn't make the reservation through them. I've seen few complaints on this forum about a difference in service per se at NYC hotels. But yes, it's possible you won't get as desirable a room as someone who's paid more. That's scarcely unfair ;-)

Edited: 15 January 2010, 16:46
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Discounted hotel rooms: how are you treated by hotel?

One thing you need to know is that, with Priceline, at least, you cannot guarantee that you will have 2 beds in your room. Priceline only guarantees to be able to sleep two people, not necessarily in two beds.

Chicago
Level Contributor
733 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discounted hotel rooms: how are you treated by hotel?

In the past five years, I've only used Priceline or Hotwire to book hotels. I tend to stay at four star hotels or better and for the most part, I've never been treated differently because of my booking method. I'm always very, very nice to the front desk staff and never hesitate to ask for an upgrade. There have been times when the upgrade was an addition $10-$20 per night but most of the time it's been free.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discounted hotel rooms: how are you treated by hotel?

Note: I work at a hotel

There is no simple answer to your question, but here is what happens at my hotel, and at most others I'm familiar with

1) the hotel knows that you booked thru priceline, orbitz, or some other site

2) Because hotels allocate rooms to those sites to sell unsold rooms they are happy to have you

3) If there are lots of empty rooms and you ask for an upgrade you might get it for free or for a small additional charge

4) If the hotel is almost full those paying a higher price will often, but not always, be allocated the better rooms

5) We, and most hotels, will give you the same service, mainly because once you have checked in no one will remember how you booked.

6) Because the third party sites often don't "know" the hotel, and most don't guarantee your special requests will be taken care of, if you have any special requests call the hotel, Most are happy do accomodate you if they can.

One suggestion, if you travel to a destination often and usually stay at the same hotel try to develope a relationship with them and book directly.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discounted hotel rooms: how are you treated by hotel?

I'll also hypothesize that the power of the Internet has changed the Priceline landscape. Years ago, if you were treated curtly/disdainfully by hotel staff because you were a Priceline customer, no one outside your circle of friends & family would hear about it. Now, there's an audience around the world who's privy to such complaints. "Word of mouth" -- both good and bad -- has much more impact than once was the case.

If you're having trouble, Badger, finding suitable accommodations, feel free to start another thread with your dates, budget & bedding needs and ask for assistance.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,043 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Discounted hotel rooms: how are you treated by hotel?

Also, I strongly recommend that once you have booked you contact the hotel a day or two later and confirm the reservation and be sure to take your booking confirmation with you.

I've read about people who have shown up after having booked through various booking sites and had the hotel tell them they didn't have the reservation - may not happen too often, but having your confirmation with you will eliminate any potential problems.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Discounted hotel rooms: how are you treated by hotel?

I've used priceline....I even got an upgrade (for free) one time. The hotel has allowed their rooms to be discounted, so I cant see why there would be any problems.

I've gotten 6 Columbus and Hudson Hotel on priceline - they are "pod-type" hotels - VERY small rooms...and VERY SMALL TVs.....but more than adequate.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,400 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Discounted hotel rooms: how are you treated by hotel?

If you need a room with 2 beds, the only way to be assured of 2 beds is to book a room on Hotwire for 3 people. OR, see if you can find a sale price on quikbook.com that specifies 2 beds or find a sale on the hotels' won website. Using Priceline and expecting to get 2 beds is not a good idea.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Discounted hotel rooms: how are you treated by hotel?

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Times Square last August and won it through Priceline and i was a bit unsure how i would be treated as i had heard stories about Hotels putting you in the crappy rooms and service not being great to priceline/hotwire customers

Thankfully i can report that i received excellent service and they knew that i had booked via Priceline i had a fabulous time and the room was amazing will be booking with priceline again in the future

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Discounted hotel rooms: how are you treated by hotel?

I think it very much depends on the hotel