We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for good area to stay IN New York with teenagers

st julians
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions for good area to stay IN New York with teenagers

have been told that Soho is a good funky area to stay in with teenagers, however have come across some negative comments so am in a dilemma, we will be there in July and am open to suggestions. Have also been told to stay as close to Central Park as possible as that s where is all happens

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for good area to stay IN New York with teenagers

what have you heard negative about soho - its a fine destination but far from the only one. Subway is great as long as you are near a subway line you are fine.

What do you mean by "all happens"? What exactly are you looking to do?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for good area to stay IN New York with teenagers

There is no one BEST area for everyone. With teenagers, your first priority should be finding a hotel that will comfortably sleep you all in however many beds you need on the dates you're here for a budget you can afford. It sounds like a suite hotel with some more space and more than 2 beds would be a big benefit and there are none of those in Soho anyway.

affinia.com

beaconhotel.com

embassy suites

Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square

are places I'd consider assuming you have 2 or more teens.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
6,568 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for good area to stay IN New York with teenagers

Manhattan is "where it all happens" and Manhattan is huge. But however big it is, in NYC proper we have over 8 million people. So it happens everywhere!

According to the Manhattan Borough President's office, "Manhattan island [is] 23.7 square miles in size .... [and] over 1.4 million people reside [there]. That doesn't include the millions that flock here to work every day.

There is almost no "bad" place to stay. And staying close to Central Park is almost misleading or meaningless, if you'll forgive me for using those words, because Central Park itself is huge, covering 50 blocks North to South (59th St. to 110th St.) , and approximately 3 blocks West to East. If you want to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, they are accessible DOWNTOWN at the most southern tip of Manhattan, as are Wall Street, Ground Zero, Trinity Church, Fraunces Tavern, Century 21. If you want to see Columbia University, that's on the extreme Upper West Side at 116th St. & Broadway, near Harlem. If you are interested in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Whitney, Guggenheim, Sotheby's, they're all on the Upper East Side, way above where Central Park begins at 60th St. If you want to see the Lion King on 42nd St., that's 18 blocks and 1-2 over from where Central Park begins. If you're a fan of Project Runway and want to see where Parson's is, same thing--it's close to the Lion King, as is Mood Fabrics. Ditto Bryant Park.

So please help us out by specifying what "where it all happens" means to you.

Edited: 17 January 2010, 20:26
st julians
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for good area to stay IN New York with teenagers

Thanks for your comments. Well we will be coming in mid july. I am not so phased about hotels as there are so many with so many different budgets, its the area that is puzzling me. Some people tell you...oh you must stay in Tribeca/Soho area, so trendy, and others opt for upper east. I've googled/tripadvisored both but have not really come to any conclusion, so i guess i need some more suggestions. Thanks all.

Seattle
Level Contributor
906 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for good area to stay IN New York with teenagers

I have a couple of teens, and know that no two are alike....but in my experience, they often like the chance to blow off some steam and have some independence. And, being able to see familiar landmarks in between discoving new things is a plus.

Therefore, I'd recommend something like the Embassy Suites in lower Manhattan. They would have great access to bike and roller skating paths that lead all around the southend, and up to Chelsea Piers, Battery Park, etc. Great views and great people-watching. Google "bike paths Battery Park". Easy access to subway for quick ride uptown. AND free breakfast!

Besides the active pursuits, Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, and WTC site, my teens also really enjoyed the Tenement Museum in the LES (make a reservation to see one of the immigrant "enactors" in her/his apartment)

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for good area to stay IN New York with teenagers

I think I am seing some interesting and unhelpful info that that the OP has received from "have been tolds". "central Park as that's where it all happens"? What? Squirrel Feedings?(Okay, I know there are museums and outdoor concerts, etc). I still would think teens would find Union Square much more exciting. "Upper East Side"? Although many families raise their kids there, it is certainly more residential than trendy. I would recommend that Alba examine a full map of Manhattan, locate the activities the teens might enjoy and start from there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,494 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for good area to stay IN New York with teenagers

Have you noticed the sidebar to your right that's captioned TOP QUESTIONS ABOUT NYC? One of them is "Which Area Should I Stay In?" Click onto that and you'll be taken to a page which thumbnails the various areas.

Because our transportation system is extensive, safe and inexpensive & the sights aren't all clustered together so you won't be be limiting yourself (we hope!) to the immediate environs of your hotel anyway, geographical locale is less important here than perhaps in other places you've visited.

I'm with whiz, I think scoping out hotel accommodations that are a good fit for your family should "drive" the hotel shopping more than location. That said, I'll nudge you to look beyond midtown. The Embassy Suites' location alongside the Hudson River is definitely worth considering -- good hotel and in much less of a "concrete jungle" in July than, e.g., Times Square or the Penn Station/Garment District area.

If having the extra space of a suite isn't important to you, take a look at the Best Western Seaport Inn tucked in by the Brooklyn Bridge. Many locals roll their eyeballs at the mention of South Street Seaport because they consider it to be a tourist trap, but it is an intriguing district... and what the heck, you are tourists & your teens will doubtlessly like the mall & shops. You'd be in close proximity to downtown sightseeing attractions, Chinatown and the Lower East Side, multiple subway lines to anywhere else. AND unlike the vast majority of Manhattan hotel rooms, the BW's standard rooms for 3-4 people are equipped with queen beds [akin to UK kings], not the smaller double/full mattresses that are found in the great majority of 2-bedded rooms here in NYC.

Unless your teens are extremely world-weary and jaded, I'm willing to bet they'll be excited to be in NYC, period. So don't put more pressure on yourself than need be :-)

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for good area to stay IN New York with teenagers

The experts will probably disagree, but I think most teens love the Times Square area. I know my daughter was always happiest there!

Toronto
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for good area to stay IN New York with teenagers

I have to agree that the Times Square area is great for teens - lots going on - in summer there is often concerts in the Square - my teen saw The Roots there last year - also not my idea of great shopping but there is a lot of teen friendly stores - Element etc. - it is very safe and I let my son roam free during the day down there - he was interviewed for Peoples Court!! He loved it! Times Square area is also close to Central Park - my son took his roller blades and loved it - he ventured into a few close by museums and also saw Jason Mraz at Rockefeller on The Today Show - Good Morning America also has concerts in the Park.

I love the Times Square Area - I sort of hate Times Square - but there is new "green" areas along Broadway (less cars) and the bleachers in the Square are great for sitting back and watching all the world go by.

Anywhere in NYC is FABULOUS but I would recommend the Times Square area - we are staying at the Radio City Apartments in July - you should check this suite hotel out - it is great for families! Have a great trip!

ca
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for good area to stay IN New York with teenagers

We are in NYC all the time, I think near to Time Square 42nd street is best, near Lowes Amc, all the touristy stuff and you can walk from there to Central Park. The more eastern side of 42nd st is best, more safe.