We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any help/advice on my itinerary would be much appeciated...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Any help/advice on my itinerary would be much appeciated...

Hi. We're coming for a weeks stay on Feb 4th, staying at the Grand Union and was wondering what peoples thoughts are on my itinerary. I am the dedicated organiser (the bf said he will do whatever I plan, lol):

Thursday

Land Newark @ noon

Dial 7 car to Hotel - check in and unpack

Times Square

Evening meal @ Rosie O’Gradys

Friday

Breakfast at local diner

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island from Battery Park @ 11am

WTC site afternoon

Evening meal @ Steakhouse

Sat

Breakfast

Man Utd Game @ Nevada Smiths @ 10am

Shopping afternoon

Shopping at Century 21 next to WTC site.

Evening meal @ to be decided

Sun

Brunch at Ellens Stardust Diner

Central Park and Zoo afternoon

Watch Superbowl Final @ Nevada Smiths or ESPN bar (?) in Times Sqaure - eat wherever we watch game

Mon

Breakfast

Empire State Building

Grand Central Station Terminal

Circle Line cruise round Manhattan?

Evening meal @ to be decided

Tues

Breakfast

Coney Island in the morning (bfs only request)

Walk over Brooklyn Bridge

Evening meal in Chinatown/Pizza @ Grimaldis

Weds

Breakfast

Shopping – Macys, Bloomies, Tiffanys, FAO Schwarz

Man Utd game @ 5.00pm Nevada Smiths

Evening meal in Little Italy

Thurs

Museum of Natural History

More shopping

Dial 7 car to Newark

Fly home late evening

Does this seem too scattered? Any other tips/ideas would be greatly appreciated....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any help/advice on my itinerary would be much appeciated...

The best time of day to go to SOL/Ellis Island is FIRST thing on the first ferry. You should buy tickets in advance online. Since you'll probably get up very early that first morning anyway, I'd do it on that day but not at 11 by which time it's packed.

The WTC is a constructions site. Go to St. Paul's chapel and/or the Tribute museum instead. By evening you'll be shattered. Forget the steak dinner on that night. Have something casual like pizza and make it an early night. Save steakhouse for another night when you're fresher.

Sat. afternoon is the absolute WORST time to go to Century 21. Go on a weekday morning when it first opens (very early like 7:30).

Ellen's Stardust food is no great shakes. Go for a weekday b/f or lunch and pick something nicer (and downtown not Times Square) for a Sunday brunch. Artisanal is very nice, near your hotel and has a good brunch. Or head downtown to the village. You can do Ellen's on Mon. or Wed. when you plan to stay in midtown.

I assume you realize Coney Island is NOWHERE near the Brooklyn Bridge? You can certainly go to Coney Island by subway and then subway back to the bridge and walk over it but Coney Island will likely be desserted on a Tues. morning in Feb. Maybe consider doing Coney Island on the Sunday morning if the weather's ok. You could even have brunch in Brooklyn. Maybe head to Williamsburgh or DUMBO or Brooklyn Heights for brunch after Coney Island (or eat in Coney Island). You could stop at the Brooklyn Flea Market too on a Sunday.

I think the Circle Line cruise in Feb. is not a great idea. If you want to do a cruise, I'd do

nywaterway.com

which is nicer boats with nicer inside if it's cold. It covers the same distance in a shorter time (90 min).

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any help/advice on my itinerary would be much appeciated...

One thing that i've noticed is that you're cramming all your shopping into one day.

I agree with nywhiz that Century 21 shouldn't be done on the saturday, but also, as the other stores you've listed are scattered around the whole city, wouldn't it be easier to add in some stores while you're doing some sightseeing..

I'd move Macy's to Monday, after you've done Empire State, then head to grand central terminal..

I'd google maps things and you can create a map with what you want to see, then you'd see where they all are around the city... Personally, it'd make me crazy having a day dedicated to shopping, so I would split that up.

M

England
Level Contributor
180 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any help/advice on my itinerary would be much appeciated...

have fun I would skip the man u game !!!!

New York, New York
Level Contributor
9,422 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any help/advice on my itinerary would be much appeciated...

Hey nicv08,

It doesn't appear that you've made your plans with a map.

Thurs.: You could unpack, get on the subway and shop at Macy's (34th St.), then head back up for Times Square. Not sure what you want to do in Times Square if you're not buying tickets...looking about will take about 15 minutes. Rosie O'G's is a tourist place. I don't know if you'd really be experiencing New York there. It is close to the diamond district, however--(W. 47th St. between 6th & 7th) so you may want to look at some bling while you're there! Just window-shopping.

Friday: I would definitely incorporate a stop at Century 21 with SOL, Ellis, Battery Park, and Ground Zero. You'll be just a couple of blocks from there anyway, and if you're not going back downtown for any other reason than to visit Century 21, it's not worth it. If you don't have enough energy to shop after all the sightseeing, I would bag Century 21 and instead try to Daffy's in midtown (either at 335 Madison Ave. bet. 43rd and 44th Sts., or a little further up at 125 East 57th St. between Park and Lexington Avenues); and also I highly recommend SYMS, 400 Park Avenue (entrance on East 54th St. ).

Sorry to say it, but Ellen's Stardust Diner is really the quintessential, overpriced tourist trap. I went there just once when I worked in the area and found it very unfriendly, and paid about twice as much as I should have for a burger. It may be convenient, but you might want to do a little more research on TA, if you have the time and/or inclination.

Re: Steakhouse -- Definitely DO NOT recommend Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. If I were a tourist I would be terribly disappointed. It's just not all that. The food may be good but the atmosphere is ... okay, I'm going to say it, don't hurt me out there people.... pathetic! It's really pathetic and ugly. And the focus was on "How much are these people spending?" vs. "How can we give these folks the meal of their lives for all this money?" Here's a link to my review:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60827-d45…

That said, I'm not a steak lover, so I would definitely research other steakhouses here.

Museum of Natural History -- just curious, why this one and not any of the others?

I hope this is helpful.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any help/advice on my itinerary would be much appeciated...

Hi. I picked the Museum of Nat Hist for the blue whale exhibition but it's still not a definite AND I have just noticed this morning that I copied and pasted my original itinerary draft onto the Forum, it has changed slightly now. Am not doing Century 21 now, we're not eating in Little Italy and have spread my shopping trips out (M4RKM). Am also going to book the SOL tickets for 9am and look at the the nywaterway web page (thanks nywhiz). Also want to visit Magnolia Bakery, Katz deli and if we can, we want to catch a basketball game at Madison. Will skip Sunday brunch at Ellens (LizzieandIzzy, nywhiz) and leave it for a visit one day in the week (if at all). Am going to find somwhere else for Sunday brunch, or perhaps we will find it on the day? Thanks so much for all your help. Will show my other half the revised plan for our trip later. Am so looking forward to this trip, this is definitely the most excited I have been for a holiday ever, lol.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any help/advice on my itinerary would be much appeciated...

I am gonna recommend BLT steak again although BLT Prime is highly spoken of as well

www.bltsteak.com

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any help/advice on my itinerary would be much appeciated...

Re Steakhouses, we have budgeted for $25-35 for a main course - is this being a bit cheap?? Can go a bit higher if I know the meal will be worth it...

Leicester
Level Contributor
208 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any help/advice on my itinerary would be much appeciated...

Definitely agree with your revised plan to do SOL at 9am - that's what we did and with the crown access and audio tour, even though we're not great lingerers over every tiny detail, we still weren't back at Battery Park until 2.15pm. (Note: we bought 9am tickets and this was actually the check in time for the airport style security. Our ferry left just after 9.30am. Also note - we booked crown tickets online which had to be collected at Battery Park and found out when we got there we needed ID to collect them! Guess it must have told me when I booked but it definitely didn't day it on my confirmation email so it was only by luck we had any id with us)

Also totally agree with NYWhiz about WTC site. St Paul's is an amazing moving, inspiring and positive tribute and I would recomend you visit, likewise the memorial preview on Vesey St as this shows the plans for the memorial along with video of some survivors and family of victims which while terribly tragic is also very positive and inspiring.

Not sure about steakhouse prices. I'd say you're about right but probably depends how upmarket you want to go? We went to Rare bar and grill next to Affinia Hotel on Lexington and East 37th (I think!) and that came to $113 inc tax, minus tip for 2 glasses wine, 3 beers, 2 main courses and 2 desserts. Mains were $21 each but one was a special which came with very skinny fries, and the other didn't so we ordered a side of fries on top for that one at additional $4. That was more burgers than steaks though so probably a little different to steakhouse prices.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any help/advice on my itinerary would be much appeciated...

A couple of observations.

On the Monday I would do one of two things. Either get to ESB for about 07:45 so that you're first in the queue (or at least, very near the front) or delay your visit until about 16:30. That way you'll catch sunset from the top and get some great photos. You'll also be able to watch the city turn from day to night - always a spectacular sight!

The Aston Villa v Man Utd game starts at 19:45 which is 14:45 in New York. Are you sure about the 17:00 time you quote? I'd hate to see you miss them getting their revenge!

Leicester
Level Contributor
208 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any help/advice on my itinerary would be much appeciated...

Yes good point - I'd do ESB early. We got there for a couple of minutes before 8am and there were only about 7 other people there waiting for the observation deck to open. We were on the 86th floor by 8.10am and it was lovely and quiet. Also - wrap up - it was so windy! I had 2 pairs of gloves on but holding the audio tour (which I do reccommend) made my fingers hurt. We were up there about an hour.

Also as the gentleman says, seeing the city from that height at sun set is also spectacular - we did this from Top Of the Rock at Rockefeller Centre as we learned on here that there are rarely any queues. And there weren't! We got there about 4.45pm on our first evening and went straight up. Missed the actual sun set but still got to see the city in dusk light and falling into darkness which was fantastic.