We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report jan 15th - 20th

dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
trip report jan 15th - 20th

Friday 15th Jan.

We arrived to a very warm New York City,checked in to the Wellington Hotel,871 7th Ave. & 55th St.

Had already decided to have lunch in the Brooklyn Diner 212W 57th St.,enough food to feed a small army and all we ordered was soup, and shared a sandwich(everything is bigger in NY).We walked around Macy's and Times Square for a while. That night we walked over to 5th Ave.,It was so mild.After reading about Junior's on TA we tried it for dinner,we don't go to fancy restaurants to eat,we're more into sight seeing and some shopping. About 10.30pm we went back to Rosie O' Grady's, 800 7th Ave. for a beer, at 11.30pm we were up 24hrs.luckily we slept a bit on the plane,but still decided to go back to our hotel so we could get a good nights sleep and start the next day fresh,It was to be our dedicated shopping day and we would need all the rest we could get.Earlier in the day J went to the subway station and bought two 7 day unlimited travel tickets $27ea,probably the best thing we bought that week.

Saturday 16th Jan.

We went to Jersey Garden's about 10am,taking the bus from the Port Authority,which we took the subway to,another warm day.Did some shopping,tax free,Osh Gosh has the best prices if your looking for children's clothing.We had lunch in Jonnie Rockets,I had a grilled chicken and bacon salad it was lovely,fascinated by the way all the restaurants refill soft drinks and coffee.We got back to our hotel around 5.30pm.That night we walked over to Arriba Arriba,762,9th Ave. for dinner as recommened on TA but it was packed,so we went across the street to El Azteca it was very enjoyable,I had my first frozen Margarita-very nice,J sticks to a beer.We both find the size of the food portions very big,(not a complaint)so we don't order starters and very rarely eat dessert.After a walk down around Times Square its back to Rosie's for a beer,we go there because its close to our hotel and its one of the few places(that we know)where I can get bottled Magners.

Sunday 17th Jan.

I like to go to 10.15am mass in St.Patrick's Cathedral 5th Ave. I love all the pomp and ceremony of this mass.J went over to MoMA to try get a particular art book for our eldest son,no luck there,but we got it in Barnes and Noble.We then went to B&H superstore 9thAve.J loved this store,and could have spent days wandering around it.The staff were great and very helpful,would recommened this store to anyone.I got a camera,which I'm thrilled with.It started to rain then and got cold,so went to Grand Central Station,which was on our things to visit list.A beautiful place to visit,took some fab photo's.I love to photograph landscapes and architecture.We had a sandwich in Junior's at lunch time.Then we went back up to 5thAve to the NBA store,our son asked for a Lakers hoodie.We walked around for a while visiting Tiffany's,Tommy Hilfiger and a few other places along the way.It was raining quite heavily and we were cold,so we went back to our hotel about 6pm and stayed in for the night ordering Take Out.In Grand Central Station we came across a shop 'Pylone's',it was brilliant,all sorts of fun gadgets for all ages,give yourself plenty of time to look at everything,the colours are amazing,definatly one of my favourite store's.

Monday 18th Jan.

We took the subway to City Hall and then walked to Foley Square,I got some great shots of the Court House,it was Bank Holiday monday so there was very few people about.After that we walked over to J&R(another fav of J's)We then went to St.Paul's,it was the first time there for both of us,even though we paid our respects at Ground Zero on a previous trip to NY,it was very emotional,but amazing that no damage was done to the church. The 'C' train then took us over to Brooklyn and we walked back over the bridge to Manhatten,we both really enjoyed it,stopping to take loads of photo's along the way,the weather was great so we took our time.Later that evening we went to Mac on 22nd & broadway(I think that's right),the lad that served me was very patient and helpful,I was buying a gift for my niece.That night we went to Patsy's Pizzeria,206 E 60thSt,we were there last year with our teenager so we knew it was a nice place.

Tuesday 19th Jan.

This morning we took the subway down to the Lower East Side to the Tenement Muesum on Orchard St.and took the Irish tour(there are other choice's).It was really good,and seeing how people lived then was quite an experience.The camera was well used again(though not in doors).Would recommend this trip,it was a guided tour and only cost $20ea,it took a little over an hour.After that we went to Union Sq.,and walked all around that area,ended up in Adorama 42 W.18thSt.(another camera shop)once again we found the staff very polite and helpful.After a late lunch we went for a walk around Central Park,the weather was lovely and mild so it was very enjoyable,I love the Carousel in the park.That night we went to see Wicked, We have never seen anything as spectacular as this,ever,it was amazing,we had great seats, 3rd from the stage,I could go on about it for hours(but I won't)it was that good,everyone should see this show at least once.We went to Ribeye on 7th Ave after the show,the food was lovely,but once again portion size meant we didn't finish it,but it was lovely.

Wednesday 20th Jan.

Our last day,after breakfast we went over to the CBS store,could have gotten tickets for the Letterman Show but didn't have enough time.We then walked over to the Rockerfella Centre,and went to the Sony Experience and NBC store we love walking around these store's some of the gadgets are brill.We had lunch in Le Bonne Soupe,48 W 55thSt.,we read about it on TA ,the food was fab,delighted we went,and will go again.After lunch we went over to Nintendo World,my 3yr old nephew is mad about Mario so we got him a pressie there,and then for the last time this trip we walked down to Times Sq.We really had a great time and I hope you enjoyed reading about it.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report jan 15th - 20th

Loved your trip report! Hadn't heard of Pylones before -- thanks for the tip, it looks great. Will also check out la Bonne Soupe.

Edited: 25 January 2010, 21:41
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report jan 15th - 20th

Pylones is FUN!! Great for gifts for all ages.

www.pylones-usa.com/pylones/indexpylones.php

They have a new location near St. Paul's Chapel, on Broadway near Fulton Street.

klaneletters, thanks for the happy recap! Have you ever managed to have Junior's cheesecake? That would be a whole meal for you!

Also, since you seem like seasoned visitors, I reco exploring more nabes and locations next time you're here. You will find AWESOME photo opportunities in areas such as Harlem, West Chelsea's Highline, Long Island City (Queens), Flushing (Queens), Brooklyn Heights, Williamsburg (Brooklyn)....and more.

Edited: 25 January 2010, 22:28
new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report jan 15th - 20th

Great trip report! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I would love to attend Sunday mass at St. Pats. Was the choir spectacular?

There is also a Pylone's on Spring Street off of Broadway in Soho. It is across the street from Kate's Paperie (great stationery and gifts) and down the street from Rice to Riches (yummy rice pudding done any way you like!) Moms

dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report jan 15th - 20th

Thanks for your tip about Pylones and about photo opp's for our next visit.Neither of us like cheesecake, but I convinced hubby to try some, after all we were in Junior's, sadly even there we didn't like it but it did take a good photo :)

dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report jan 15th - 20th

The choir is amazing,they give you the music going in so you can join in the singing.Will check out Rice to Riches next time we're over.

New York
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report jan 15th - 20th

Nice Trip report, and glad you had a good time.

Quick question. I rather like Rosie O'Grady's myself, and it is one of the few places in Midtown I patronize intentionally. Good atmosphere, interesting clientale.

However, do the prices not bother you? I refer specifically to the $7 "pints"? Coming from Dublin, I'd imagine you'd find them to be less than a great value. I feel compelled to point out that in more southerly parts of Manhattan one can easily find establishments pouring "true" pints (16 ounces, or even 20) for $5.50- $6.00. For all its charms, the prices Rosie's charge are typical of midtown tourist traps, rather than indicative of NYC as a whole.

dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: trip report jan 15th - 20th

We go to Rosie's because its close to our hotel and we like the atmosphere but I have to agree we do find it a little expensive. Apart from the Blarney Rock on 33rdSt. its the only place that we know of that sells bottled Magners which is what I like to drink while J likes a pint.

Bristol
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip report jan 15th - 20th

Heya, great TR! You mention the weather was warm!! We go on 3 Feb and have packed what looks like skiing clothes lol, what clothes would you recommend, layers as opposed to jumpers?

Thanks!

dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: trip report jan 15th - 20th

Hi,I think we were just lucky with the weather last week,its usually quite cold or snowing,check their tv weather stations they're usually right. Bring layers that way if it is warm you can peel off if you have to.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip report jan 15th - 20th

I like to drink beers, but when I'm in NYC i have to sample the local brews, and drinks.. I'm sure if you had gone to Mudville 9 and sampled the Original Sin Cider there, you would have liked that just as much as your bottle of magners.. oh, and saved some money in the process..

Maybe I just don't understand the idea of going on holiday, just to eat and drink the same as I eat and drink back home...

M