We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

got the bug,want to come back in nov

northern ireland
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
got the bug,want to come back in nov

after all your great advise for my last trip to NYC in nov,ive come back for more,though it maybe alittle more difficult as the funds are low after my last trip.

I really want to come back in nov 2010,flights are working out about £400 return(same as last year)now the difficult part(though the great NYWHIZ might be able to help) i need a hotel for 2 possibly 3 adults(all women) for around 250 dollars.Stayed at the garden inn on 35th street and liked the area as we could walk pretty much anywhere.We are staying for 3 nights(hoping to stay 1 night in boston too)and can come anytime in nov

thank you in advance

Elaine

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,032 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: got the bug,want to come back in nov

1) If you're planning on going to Boston, you'd do better to fly into one city and out of the other I think to save both time and money. Very often doing that is no more than traveling in and out of the same city. Kayak.com has a multi city form you can use to test prices.

2) I think it's way too early to commit to airfare now for Nov. and there sure aren't any hotel bargains now for Nov.

3) $250/night for 2 people in Nov. is not so bad, esp. if you're willing to share a big bed, but for 3 people needing at least 2 beds, you'll struggle unless you find some special sales. The only thing I see that comes close to what you want is a double double at the Holiday Inn 6th ave. on 26th st. but to come in at budget you'd have to pay in advance. I'd rather see you wait or book something that's cancelable.

Which 3 nights can make a big difference in Nov. You probably want to avoid the first weekend of the month which is the NYC Marathon. The last weekend of the month is Thanksgiving and sometimes you can get great deals then but other times it's pricey. I think staying over a Sat. night will make prices a lot cheaper.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: got the bug,want to come back in nov

If you don't feel you have to be in midtown, you could get a room with 2 doubles or 2 queen beds, even a junior suite with 2 queen beds and small parlor (lounge) for 3 people @ $250/night or less (before taxes) at the Hotel Newton, on the Upper West Side, for most dates in November via the hotel's own web site. No matter which unit you choose, you'll get a microwave, small refrigerator, and coffee maker.

Those rates require no advance deposit/payment and can be canceled, without financial penalty, up until 2 PM the day before your scheduled arrival date.

http://www.thehotelnewton.com

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d112039-…

Looks like you can get non-stop flights from Dublin to Boston and then NYC to Dublin for the same price (even a bit less) money-- at least during some time frames in November -- than round-trip Dublin-NYC tix in November. And that price compares very favorably for the cheapest air fare I've seen via a quick run-through for flights in the next couple of months. 400 GBP doesn't seem startlingly high to me -- what did you pay for air fare for your trip this past November?

P.S. One night in Boston will give you precious little time to see much of anything there, after accounting for time zone differences (and jet lag?) plus the time you'd have to leave to get to NYC for the following night. If your schedules do not permit you to spend more time in Boston, I'd think about ditching the idea altogether (even tho' I think you'd really like Boston) and save that for another trip.

Edited: 30 January 2010, 20:00
northern ireland
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: got the bug,want to come back in nov

decisions decisions,thank you for all your advise cocklecove and nywhiz,ive alot of thinking to do,i was originally going to wait until my 20th wedding anniversary in march 2011,but my sister has put the idea into my head about going with her in nov 2010,if i wait til march i can save extra and go for 7 nights in NYc then 2 nights in boston,decisions decisions,

Cocklecove I flew from belfast last november prices where about the same £400 but Dublin is only about 2 hr drive so that is an option too

thanks again

Elaine

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: got the bug,want to come back in nov

I used Dublin because there don't seem to be any nonstop flights between Belfast and Boston.

FWIW, I'm thinking that, so long as you're spending the money on air fare and no less than 14 hours in a plane, it would be nice to have more time on the ground. Plus, I think you can anticipate that your hotel dollars will go further in NYC in March than November. But maybe you just can't wait 14 months ;-)

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: got the bug,want to come back in nov

Adding to what CockleCove said, the Upper West Side is a very different place from Herald Square, and you might use the subway more to get places, but that being said, the Upper West Side is a great neighborhood. It has sights of its own (it contains the Musuem of Natural History and Lincoln Center, and is close to Central Park) and has a VERY different feel from 35th Street: much more a real neighborhood, with local shops and restaurants, and less traffic (including tourist traffic.) I am a Queens boy born and bred, and cannot for the life of me personally imagine living westt of Flushing Creek, but I have friends on the Upper West Side and have often thought to myself when visiting them that if I had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, out of Queens to live in a Manhattan neighborhood , the Upper West Side might be a very pleasant place to live indeed. You might therefore try it to get a very different feel for New York -- and one you might like very much. Try searching this forum for "Upper West Side" to see what previous visitors have had to say.

northern ireland
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: got the bug,want to come back in nov

thanks again,everyone,im going to take a few days to decide,on one hand my sis really wants to go in nov,and my head is telling me to wait til march as im going to tuscany in june.

Cockle cove i think id fly from belfast to NYC,then return from Boston to Dublin,thanks for the idea.

Greenwhiteand blue i will certaintly have a look at upperwestside,it might be nice to spend a few days there as i did nt get up that end at all on my last trip

thanks again folks,you ve given my food for tthought

7. Re: got the bug,want to come back in nov

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2010, 05:17