We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm visiting on my own in March for 10-days... Suggestions

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
I'm visiting on my own in March for 10-days... Suggestions

Hi

I'm visiting NYC for my 30th birthday in March on my own for 10-days.

I plan on going to Atlantic City for a couple of days, however what else can anyone suggest to do/see whilst in NYC?

I've got a budget of $500 per day for entertainment, shopping & food... Is that enough cash?

Thanks.

J

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm visiting on my own in March for 10-days... Suggestions

what are your interests? Have you read the FAQ'S?

$500 should be more than enough!!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm visiting on my own in March for 10-days... Suggestions

As we have no information on who you are, or what you like to do, it is difficult to answer this question. There are many different New Yorks for many different types of people. There is the cultural New York with its museums and galleries. There is entertainment New York with Broadway, music and comedy clubs. There is shoppers New York with its stores. There is foodies New York with both expensive restaurants and cheap ethnic food. There is a historians New York with its interesting architecture - from our early days and onward.

For everyone who comes to see the glitz and glitter of Times Square, there is someone else who prefers the quaintness of Greenwich Village, the funkiness of Williamsburg, or the solitude found in Central or Prospect Park.

There are tourists who wish to do the "standard tourist things" - Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty. There are other tourists who seek the off the beaten path experiences in Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx.

WHO ARE YOU?

I would suggest that you do research into what your New York would be. There are some great posts on the right side of this page that will help get you started. Buy a guidebook or two. When you have some general ideas, get back to us with more pointed posts and we'd be better able to help you plan .

In my view, the glory of New York lies in its neighborhoods. Make sure that you leave plenty of time to just wander around with no set agenda, just discovering the City on your own.

Welcome to the Forum.

Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm visiting on my own in March for 10-days... Suggestions

Good post BrooklynMel! I think I'm all of the above! ;-)

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm visiting on my own in March for 10-days... Suggestions

Hi BrooklynMel,

I'm planning to do as much as possible, not just the tourist hotspots... I would like to see great shows, maybe comedy/stand up, Jazz/Blues clubs, visit a great deli or the best pizza parlour.

Shopping... I plan on doing plenty of shopping, however where are the best bargains. I've heard that Woodbury Common is cool, but cannot find that much info.

Food... I'm planning on eating light during the day, pizzas, hot dogs, bagels etc.

I'm staying at the Novotel in Times Square, so hope to explore that area quite a lot.

Cheers,

J

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm visiting on my own in March for 10-days... Suggestions

Hi LMVManchester. I'm gonna have a good look through the other forums now.

Cheers.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm visiting on my own in March for 10-days... Suggestions

Hi LMVManchester. I'm gonna have a good look through the other forums now.

Cheers.

Edited: 31 January 2010, 11:45
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm visiting on my own in March for 10-days... Suggestions

Woodbury Common is not worth the trip in my view - there is plenty of shopping in NYC.

For food, try www.menupages.com or www.opentable.com.

The Times Square are isnt great - try other places! Im sure Mel will rightly plug Brooklyn. Try Harlem, Village, Queens, Brooklyn, Soho as well - the choice is endless!

Edited: 31 January 2010, 11:48
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm visiting on my own in March for 10-days... Suggestions

You're going to explore the Times Square area a lot? Dude, it'll take 15 minutes to explore Times Square, so get a subway card, and get out and about.

Buy a guide book (I'm assuming here you haven't yet, because at the minute you don't have much of a clue what to do), but your current plan of action really won't fill up 10 days, or even 7, as you might head to AC for a few days.

Don't bother with Woodbury Common, it's hours there, hours back, and it's boring. There is nothing to do apart from shops. I always say, why not merge shopping in with the culture, rather than dedicated a whole day to just doing the most mundane task in all of the worlds existence. Gah, Shopping...

You want to do some things that are not the tourist hotspots, but what do you like. You're on your own, so you can do whatever you want! I could recommend things, but you might just turn your nose up at them, cos you don't like that idea, because it isn't you.

Oh and $500 a day is plenty, I take $200 a day and drink lots of beers.. mmm tasty beer...

Being vague isn't cool, because all you get is a vague response..

M

Edited: 31 January 2010, 12:47
England
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm visiting on my own in March for 10-days... Suggestions

ST, whether 7 or 10 days, you will get to cover alot. if it's your 1st time, dare say you will end up doing usual touristy things...ESB, TOTR,Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge etc etc. Methinks you will have plenty of time left over to explore the neighbourhoods and different districts such as Brooklyn. New York is (for its size and population) probably one of the easiest cities in the world to get around. As for your daily budget....as they say here ( In England) "you're quids in ".

Edited: 31 January 2010, 12:59
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm visiting on my own in March for 10-days... Suggestions

Here's a link to the FAQ for the forum. I know it looks like too much to read, but skim the headings. You'll see a whole section on shopping and specific threads on pros and cons of Woodbury vs. Jersey Gardens. Another section on museums and another on theater. Towards the bottom is even trip reports divided up by who travelled and whole section on solo travelers' trip reports. Read a few.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1948627…

When you've had a read, come back with SPECIFIC questions you have and try to break them up into different threads. The more specific your question, the better the answers you'll get.

I'm still waiting to figure out if you're male or femal. That' how little we know abouyt you. ;)