We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NY Post today about NYC filthiest hotel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,127 posts
Save Topic
NY Post today about NYC filthiest hotel

The NY Post sent an undercover reporter to the Times Square Inn (voted on TA as filthiest NYC hotel):

nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/the_dirt_o…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NY Post today about NYC filthiest hotel

You mean some place beat the Carter???

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NY Post today about NYC filthiest hotel

The Carter won't take that sitting down. Bet they demand a recount.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NY Post today about NYC filthiest hotel

Here's the only notable part of that article:

"The front-desk clerk told The Post the that Tripadvisor is always asking the New York Inn for money for better placement on its site -- which the hotel has refused to pay."

Read more: nypost.com/p/…ixzz0eDIlHjkM

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,127 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: NY Post today about NYC filthiest hotel

I was hoping for a picture of a mouse (rats are too creepy) munching on a taco as it lounged on the filthy, DNA covered bedspread watching cartoons.

That bit about TA doesn't do this place any favors.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NY Post today about NYC filthiest hotel

The owner must've confused TA with NYC health inspectors he pays off daily.

Edited: 31 January 2010, 19:58
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NY Post today about NYC filthiest hotel

This looks like a good place to send those who ask about illegal apartments!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NY Post today about NYC filthiest hotel

"Here's the only notable part of that article:

'The front-desk clerk told The Post the that Tripadvisor is always asking the New York Inn for money for better placement on its site -- which the hotel has refused to pay.'"

It's notable only because it's such a desperately bogus contention. I have seen nothing here in my years on TA that would prompt me to question TA's response, which Alice did not include:

"Tripadvisor spokeswoman Amelie Hurst said the company charges hotels only if they want to list phone numbers, Web addresses and e-mails on its site. Those fees have no impact on a hotel's popularity, she said."

Given the reviews and pics posted here of the New York Inn (it's in Times Square but there isn't an establishment known as the Times Square Inn) -- and the Post reporter's description -- this dubious honor isn't a miscarriage of justice:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93356-R…

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NY Post today about NYC filthiest hotel

Wow. I've been to the city many times and have never heard of this place. I just had to look at the traveler pics on here. OMG! Why would anyone pay to stay there??? I don't care how cheap it is. That's really unbelievable.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,127 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: NY Post today about NYC filthiest hotel

I just read a few of those reviews and I've gotta say, if I had enough money to fly overseas somewhere, I would sure as heck make sure I had enough money to get out of a hotel room that purportedly had mice and rats in it.

Unclear how this place remains open since it is seem to be pretty notorious and not exactly under the radar. Exposed pipes, critters, etc - I just don't understand how a tidal wave of complaints backed up with photographic evidence doesn't shut this down - assuming that has been tried.

Color me confused.

I think it is a good example of why you shouldn't necessarily travel on your last dime unless you absolutely have to so if you need to get out of a rathole like this, you can.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NY Post today about NYC filthiest hotel

CockleCove, I may be incorrect, but I thought quite a few people have suggested that TA has been a little less than democratic with their ratings/listing format.

Personally, I've just been annoyed that TA makes such a big show of their worst hotels list. I understand the drive for publicity and all, but is anyone really shocked that a hotel under $100 in NYC might be slightly less than stellar?