We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC taxes

uk
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NYC taxes

Hello!

My Fiancee and I are travelling to NYC to get married in central park in May 2010. We have booked 7 nights at the renaissance time square.

However, some people have told us that on check out we will need to pay state, city and occupancy taxes. Is this correct? Other people i have asked have said they never paid them.

I phoned the hotel and the chap i spoke to seemed to be very vague with his answers, so I'm still none-the-wiser!

We have booked the hotel and our flights through virgin holidays.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!!

N

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,386 reviews
from US$36.00*
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,850 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC taxes

You'll need to ask Virgin Holidays if they've already paid your taxes or not. All we can tell you is that yes, there are taxes on hotel stays in New York City: only Virgin can tell you if they were included in your rate.

Ireland
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC taxes

It depends. If you have booked directly with the hotel, you will pay taxes that equate to approx 15% on top of the price listed for the hotel room. However, if you have booked through a travel agent, they are usually included in the total you paid. Check with the agent you booked with.

Edited: 02 February 2010, 17:02
Algarve
Level Contributor
171 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC taxes

Packages that I have booked thru Virgin Hols to other US cities have always included the hotel taxes - cannot see why NYC should be any different.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,947 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC taxes

You should have a written receipt of what you paid (and bring it WITH YOU) which should indicate what was included and what wasn't. If you don't, contact Virgin holidays and get one.

Separate issue is every hotel will ask to "swipe" a credit car for "incidentals" regardless of whether you prepaid or not. This is for security (theirs) against damages or any extra charges you might incur. So don't be surprised if they ask for a card. If you give a debit card, be warned they may block a certain amount per day for this and you won't have use of it. If you don't have a credit card and don't want to use a debit card, you can contact them about how much they would ask for in cash for incidentals.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC taxes

Trust me the people who say they never paid them had the taxes built into the rate up front. Just for your own satisfaction and protection you should do as Whiz says and examine your travel documents from Virgin so you will be prepared to either show you have paid or be prepared to pay upon check out.

stockport
Level Contributor
513 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC taxes

We've booked our package through Virgin Holidays. I can clearly see in the breakdown that we have been charged the taxes.

uk
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC taxes

thanks everyone above who has replied :)

It would seem that these taxes have indeed been paid within the cost charged by virgin for the holiday.

One less thing to worry about....now just need to figure out how to fill our days before and after the wedding! its not that i cant think of much to do - more that there is so much i want to do but cant fit it all in!!

stockport
Level Contributor
513 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC taxes

Dont forget to do your ESTA!

9. Re: NYC taxes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2010, 05:18