We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York spending money & trips

UK
Level Contributor
286 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
New York spending money & trips

Hiya

We are thinking of visting next year (around September) and at the moment am trying to figure out costings etc. We are hoping to stay for 4 nights and was wondering approx what sort of spending money we should look at taking. Me and my husband youngish couple, we want to do the sites SOL, Times Square etc and will maybe take home a couple of souvenirs but am not too bothered about clothes shopping.

Any help on what we should approx budget for and approx costs (GBP) of trips would be great.

Thanks

x

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
596 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York spending money & trips

A lot will depend on the exchange rate at the time of your visit - if you are talking about Sept 2011 who knows how the £ will compare at this time. We've been lucky enough to visit when it was $2.05 to the £ but on our next visit it was only $1.46 so big difference in our spending. Most sites give prices so for instance SOL cruise $12, ESB $20 (double for express pass) so you should get a good idea when you decide where you want to go. If you are going this Sept have a look at Crown Currency to buy your dollars in advance, its gambling on whether you think their rate is good but so far we've been lucky and haven't lost out - and since our bank interest rates are rubbish at the minute, you wont lose anything by spending your cash in advance.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,124 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New York spending money & trips

I wouldn't bring all your budget in cash - what if you were to lose it somehow? You should consider using your ATM card and credit cards while here - you get the best exchange rate that way.

Your request is very vague - what are your interests? There is something for everyone here - and you could start with reading your guidebook and getting a map so you know where things are. The itineraries on the right side of this forum will also give you a good idea where to start.

As to what kind of money to budget - it all depends on what you want to spend on food as I am assuming your hotel is not part of what you are asking about. You can eat here for a wide range of prices. From inexpensive diners and many ethnic restaurants to very high end. Only you know what you want to spend.

The metrocards for the subway/bus are $27 for unlimited rides for a week. The subway and buses (the subway in particular) are the best, most efficient and fastest way to get from place to place.

UK
Level Contributor
286 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York spending money & trips

Thanks for the replies. It will be Sept 2011 when we are looking at visiting.

We are really looking at eating mainly fast food when we get there though we will very likely go to a restaurant at least once but arent looking for too fancy.

Trip wise we both want to visit the must sees like Central Park including a horse carriage ride, Times Sq, Grand Central, Statue of Liberty etc Nothing too major trip wise. I believe you can also do movie/tv show trips so may give that a go. We have been told a must do is a night time trip on one of the tour buses so we will be doing that but I can see us walking a lot to get around as this is what we are used to as at home we dont drive. Other than that we will prob use cabs if we need to get somewhere. Oh and another thing I wanna do is a show!! :)

Thanks again for the replies.

x

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York spending money & trips

use the subway much better than cabs

Would strongly urge you NOT to do the carriage rides - they may not be around if you are not coming for 18 months in any event

UK
Level Contributor
286 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York spending money & trips

Ah right okay. Someone I know has just come back and went on one and recommended it. Why would you urge NOT to do the carriage ride?

Thanks

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York spending money & trips

its not good value also the welfare of the horses is an issue

Virginia DC Girl where are you?!?! ;-)

Bath, England
Level Contributor
125 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York spending money & trips

Take as much as you can afford. New York will eat your money away.

Don't deny yourself experiences because of budget, this is a treat and shouldn't be an economy drive.

I'm not suggesting you stay at the Four Seasons, but don't be cheap.

And I suggest that you dont take cash. Use an ATM to access your cash, then you can benefit from a better exchange rate (much better than M&S or the Post Office). Everywhere takes cards, but remember that many places consider UK debit cards as credit cards.

UK
Level Contributor
286 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York spending money & trips

Ah I see about the horses!!! I love animals so wont waste my money then!

x

UK
Level Contributor
286 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York spending money & trips

I have seen a few hotels I like which arent too expensive, somewhere that is clean and to lay my head and I am happy.

We want to go next September as time is getting on and we may never get round to it. I will see what we can save by then and it it isnt a huge amount we wont be too fussed, we are happy as long as we can eat and just take in the New York air and atmosphere :) Lol

I am not too sure about using debit/credit cards because isnt this when the huge charges kick in? Are there any other safer but less expensive ways of keeping our spending money while there?

Thanks

x

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York spending money & trips

What hotels do you like?

Whats your nightly budget?