We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with dress code

southern Germany
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with dress code

Hi,

what does "business casual" mean?

What other dress codes are possible?

We do not want to bring extra cloths just for a special dinner or two

as we want to let room in our suitcases for our new buys in the

States...

Q.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,199 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with dress code

Business casual means khakis or slacks with a collared shirt or a sweater for men, with shoes other than sneakers, and the equivalent for women. You could always wear one of your new purchases to a nice dinner.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with dress code

No hard and fast rules, but here is one definition (from wikepedia)

for women: A reasonable length skirt (not mini-skirt) or full-length trousers of a non-jeans material combined with a top (such as a dress shirt, polo, or sweater set) is considered acceptable. An informal dress with appropriate skirt length is also acceptable.

for men: A combination of collared shirt (such as a dress shirt or polo shirt), cotton trousers (such as khakis) with a belt, and shoes (such as loafers) with socks is generally acceptable

Unacceptable for either gender: gym clothes, rumpled or ripped clothing, miniskirts, underwear as outerwear, inappropriately revealing attire such as bare midriffs, and flip-flops.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with dress code

Photos of business casual dress:

middlesexcc.edu/career/control.cfm/ID/3185

Al, you just ruled out most of Lotuspath's wardrobe!

southern Germany
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with dress code

Ok, that´s possible for us if there is no jacket in need (takes to much room).

Thanks,Q.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with dress code

Al's muscle T [often called a "wifebeater" in the US] does not conform to business casual. Maybe if he dressed it up with a jacket or something.

Toronto,Canada
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with dress code

we also use the "wifebeater" term here in Canada

I am always surprised that more woman are not offended by it

my wife, who is very language sensitive and politically correct, uses the term!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,267 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help with dress code

I think its very offensive, yet have been the only person to suggest such a thing when its commonly used on the Yucatan forums. And it goes beyond politically incorrect - its morally reprehensible to make light of wife beating!

There are plenty of great places one can go to casually - even when going to Paris, the dressiest I get is black jeans. Im not packing a skirt, shoes, hose, hand bag on the off chance I may have to dress up. If I had a reservation in advance at L'Astrance maybe, but in a world of amazing casual places, have never felt the need.

New York
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help with dress code

Evening,

I don't disagree, but just to play devil's advocate:

If instead of husband beating a wife, we had a scenario in which a woman beat her boyfriend...with some sort of tool...perhaps a wrench, or maybe a hammer. Would it be morally reprehensible to make light of such an incident over cocktails?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3389544…

Signed,

- Curious

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,199 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help with dress code

I always felt it was insuling to the person wearing the shirt - as in, people who wear things like that beat their wives, which is obviously not okay. It always seemed like a strange term to me, and I've been curious as to where it originated. I guess I'll have to go look it up.

Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help with dress code

So, in the snow and the slush, are the dress expections for something like the Met Opera somewhat relaxed? Do opera goers just wear their Sorrells or Merrells with their suits and dresses or change shoes in the cloak room?