We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is wine sooo expensive in NYC??

southern Germany
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Why is wine sooo expensive in NYC??

While still searching for a nice restaurant I went through several menues and winelists. It´s just terrible to pay for a glass of

plain red wine $ 12 - and "a glass" does not even say how much it is. I do not understand why we can get wine from california here

in German restaurants for half the price and it is usually 1/4 of a liter. Does this make any sense??

Q.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,350 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is wine sooo expensive in NYC??

Because the cost of real estate in New York is six times higher than it is in Germany, and they have to make enough profit to stay in business. The margins for the restaurant business are incredibly slim - very few turn much if any profit. Alcohol and drinks are one place where most restaurants try to bring in some money.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,799 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is wine sooo expensive in NYC??

I agree a glass of wine here is pricey. Restaurants make a much bigger profit on liquor than food. Perhaps the Calif. wine there seems cheaper because of the favorable exchange rate? I don't know. I do know it's always a pleasant surprise to see how much less expensive alcohol in general is in Europe.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is wine sooo expensive in NYC??

Yeah, it stinks.

However, rest assured that most bartenders and waiters have quite a "heavy hand" when pouring wine. Let the wine snobs scoff about pouring the "proper" amount in the "proper" glass! It's not unusual to get a big globe glass that's 2/3 full at many restaurants.

Also, some restaurants offer half-carafes, which are slightly better deals.

www.drinkdeal.com

Use this website to find happy hours and drink specials.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is wine sooo expensive in NYC??

Read this:

oregonlive.com/foodday/index.ssf/2009/03/why…

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is wine sooo expensive in NYC??

*** Because the cost of real estate in New York is six times higher than it is in Germany, and they have to make enough profit to stay in business. ***

That may be true for retail space on Park Avenue or Madison Avenue ...... but parts of Berlin also have uber-expensive retail space that make other places in NYC like Roosevelt Avenue in Queens look like a downright bargain ..... but still I bet the wine in Queens is more expensive.

I think the answer may partly be ..... America is not a big wine culture like you'll see in most of Europe. BTW ..... you can $3 dollar bottles of 'chuck' wine in Trader Joes.

Edited: 11 February 2010, 21:24
southern Germany
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is wine sooo expensive in NYC??

Alice, that was interesting to read! Well, but I do not drink wine daily at home- it is still a special treat with a good dinner. But in France and Italy (and I guess in more country in the south)

wine is popular with everyday dinners.

BB, real estate in Berlin went up milehigh, but wine in restaurants is still

affordable....

Nevertheless.... I will have a glass or two while over there and of course it should be a "local" one from CA. The Chiantis, Montepulcianos and

Rieslings I can have back in good old Europe.

Q.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,350 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Why is wine sooo expensive in NYC??

What, no YouTube clip? :)

Berlin certainly also has high real estate prices, but the OP is from Stuttgart or Munchen or somewhere else in southern Germany. I'm guessing real estate plays some factor in the prices.

But yes, you're right that the fact that we just don't drink as much wine as a culture also factors into the price.

southern Germany
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why is wine sooo expensive in NYC??

Hey, lotuspath, that brings me to a new question. Please my next post.

Q.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Why is wine sooo expensive in NYC??

Wow wee ..... you know you're right .... I almost forgot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH3JAp7vMuo

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,274 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why is wine sooo expensive in NYC??

There are some places that dont goudge you on wine by the glass... Like Ed's Lobster Bar has Laurent Perrier Rose for $12 a glass when its $18+ anywhere else. Landmarc has decent wine prices. Its much more economical to buy a bottle in most cases, but always worth doing the math. Sometimes a 1/2 bottle is 5x the cost of a glass, when its only 2.5 glasses. Casa Mono is expensive for food, but the wines can also be reasonable. Most wines at my neighborhood French "bistro" are $8/glass.

I was shocked the first time I went to Boqueria - and havent been back since. Both my date and I felt weird (because it was a 1st date) but it popped out of our mouths simultaneously "where's the rest of the glass?" The 21 year old looking American waitress poured 1/3 of a glass of a regular sized glass of wine for each of us. Snotty girl said "well, if you've ever been to Spain, you know they like to swirl the glass." In that case, use a larger glass! Ive been to Spain and never felt so cheated.