We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Day Rooms

Scotland
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel Day Rooms

Can anyone recommend a hotel we can get a day room prior to our return flight to the UK . We land at Newark 07.00 and depart at 20.00

We intend to do some touristy things but would like a room to shower and possible short rest prior to flight

England
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Day Rooms

Not sure why you state your arrival time...7AM, but as for returning at 8 pm, all the times we have visited NYC, we have never bothered with said "day room". Just checked out of hotel and left luggage with them, done last day bits and bobs and then collected luggage and made way to airport. Plenty of time to relax on plane coming home.

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Day Rooms

I read that as them arriving from elsewhere on their journey at 7am, thus giving them one day in New York before going home. Rather than them staying in New York for a length of time. I may be wrong!

Edited: 14 February 2010, 12:01
England
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Day Rooms

Kickice, understand, perhaps clarification required.

London, England
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Day Rooms

I took it to mean that as well kickice, so OP i don't think clarification is needed. I haven't heard of day rooms at any of the NYC hotels i've researched, although you may want to contact the airport hotels directly to check. I think these types of rooms are more common in areas more known for long haul stopovers. You may even find it cheaper to book a room for the whole 24 hours in a cheap motel/shared bathroom hotel if all you want it for is to freshen up/leave your stuff.

Scotland
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Day Rooms

Clarification - on our return leg from LAX, through choice we have a 13 hour stopover. All the hotels I have looked at show check in times around 3.pm, which is to late for us - That’s why the dayroom option looks possible. I am sure they will charge the same overnight rate, but that’s okay.

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,535 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Day Rooms

If you don't mind paying a full day rate, you can just book a room for the night before you arrive and ask for late checkout. If you know what you want to do, you can select a hotel near that. For example, if you want to do a bus tour, most of those leave from the Times Square area. One low priced hotel in that area is the Best Western President. The Westin which is a nicer hotel would also be a good option for it's location and I think they might be more likely to offer the late checkout. For this kind of booking, I'd PHONE the hotel and make sure to get something in writing about the terms. You actually want to book the room for the day before you arrive I'd think and have them not you'll be arriving "late" in the early morning.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,421 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Day Rooms

When is this trip taking place? What you are asking for is not usually done. Whiz suggests one way, let me suggest another. If you are coming during a slow business time a hotel might be willing to charge you for one day beginning in the AM and ending in the PM. Don't forget hotel rooms are a perishable commodity. So, closer to your actual travel date a hotel might be willing to make a deal, rather than have an empty room.

( the only hotels that normally rent by the hour do so for other than the tourist trade!)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Day Rooms

This is not an unusual request -- EWR is, after all, an international airport, a Continental Airlines hub ( flight crew members also need the kind of arrangement you're asking about) and the closest airport to the cruise port in Bayonne, NJ, so there are cruise ship passengers looking for layover rooms before/after their sails.

Continental, however, seems to have contracts with hotels that aren't convenient for your purposes (they have employee shuttle service) and the couple of people who have asked about this in the past & were given suggestions didn't report back re: their success in tracking one down.

I myself would prefer to have a room by EWR rather than schlep my luggage into/from Manhattan. If that's your thought, check with the Marriott that's the only hotel on EWR grounds:

marriott.com/hotels/…

If that's too pricey or they're not amenable, try the Courtyard, Residence Inn and the Country Inn & Suites that are clustered together on a cul-de-sac just down down the road, across from the Jersey Gardens Mall; they all offer free shuttle service. The Country Inn & Suites is the least expensive, so try that one first.

http://www.countryinns.com/newarknj_airport

marriott.com/hotels/…

marriott.com/hotels/…

The Wyndham also strikes me as a likely possibility:

http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/EWRAP/main.wnt

I'd be willing to bet money the Howard Johnson does this, but trust me, you don't want to go there.

Edited: 14 February 2010, 15:47
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,535 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Day Rooms

I didn't register that you were coming and going from Newark. I think I had you confused with someone else who was arriving at Newark but departing from JFK. If you're using Newark for both flights, you can probably find a less expensive option at Newark but I don't think it would be a terrible idea to use a Manhattan hotel if you can find one. That way when you return to the airport, you go straight to the terminal rather than having to backtrack to the hotel. I think there's a Marriott that's the only hotel right on the airport grounds.

www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-hotels.html

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Day Rooms

Again as I have said I would repost on the Newark NJ fourm found here. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g46671-i866-Newark…

new jersey has so much to see as well

www.visitnj.org

www.newbrunswick.com

www.goirnbound.com

www.destinationjerseycity.com

www.redbank.com

www.destinationtrenton.com

www.goelizabethnj.com

www.visitsouthjersey.com

www.stayinthemeadowlands.com

www.ocnj.us