We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any opinion on Casablanca or Royalton Hotels

London Ontario
Level Contributor
584 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Any opinion on Casablanca or Royalton Hotels

We are planning a trip to NYC this coming August and have narrowed our choice down to the above mentioned two hotels. Both have rates around $240 per night.

Does anyone have any opinion as to which would be better as far as location, overall state of the property, etc.

Your opinions are appreciated.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any opinion on Casablanca or Royalton Hotels

Very different hotels. Have you looked at "travelers photos" here on the review page for each? You might also have a look on

oyster.com

which may have more photos. They're not that far from each other so I'd say locations are very similar. Casablanca is a bit closer to the center of Times Square but they both have the benefit of being on a quieter street so you're not assaulted by a sea of people when you come and go. Casablanca has nice amenities like free cont. b/f and wine and cheese in the afternoon. Rooms are small and furnishings more traditional with a Morrocan theme. Royalton is a hip and trendy place, rooms also on the small side. I think $240 sounds high for both in August unless that includes tax. Check prices on

quikbook.com

London Ontario
Level Contributor
584 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any opinion on Casablanca or Royalton Hotels

Thanks for your thoughts nywhiz.

I guess I thought NYC hotels would be much, much higher as I thought this was a good rate. At the Casablanca, it is a save 20% promo if you pay now...totally non refundable and non changeable.

Do you think I'm likely to see better rates closer to the summer and should I wait? Casablanca's regular rate for this room is $309.00

Thanks!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any opinion on Casablanca or Royalton Hotels

I like both hotels but probably lean more toward the Royalton. I have seen both hotels offered on Quikbook with no pre-payment required.

London Ontario
Level Contributor
584 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any opinion on Casablanca or Royalton Hotels

Thanks for your thoughts, TravelingGuy.

I think I'm going to wait and see for now instead of doing something I can't cancel. Maybe there will be some good deals later. Appreciate your opinion though.

Wales
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Any opinion on Casablanca or Royalton Hotels

Hi,

I stayed at the Casablanca in June 2008 and have to say it was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in for a number of reasons.

The room, whilst not the biggest I've ever stayed in (ok it was quite small) but the bed was fabulously comfortable and everything was spotlessly clean!

The upsides for me were the complimentary breakfast consisting of bagels, croissants, muffins, pastries with all types of cream cheese, jams, butter etc along with unlimited juice, tea, coffee etc etc. This saves you a fortune in not having to buy breakfast each day. The hotel also provides complimentary tea,coffee,juice, pastries, biscuits/cookies, fruit 24 hours a day which is wonderful when you come home from a hard day sightseeing/shopping and just want to sit down with a cuppa! Or last thing at night if you like a cuppa before bed! They have complimentary wines and cheese every afternoon between 5 and 7pm offering white, red and rose wines along with a selection of cheeses and grapes. I found this a great break inbetween sightseeing all day and going back out in the evenings. They also have a lovely outdoor 'terrace' accessed from the dining/sitting room that you can sit out in with your breakfast/wine etc and just relax, you can also smoke out here which saves having to go downstairs and stand in the street!

I would never hesitate to stay here again and the only reason I'm not staying there on my trip in November is cos I'm on a strict budget this time.

Hope this might have helped.

Jules

Wales
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any opinion on Casablanca or Royalton Hotels

Hi,

I stayed at the Casablanca in June 2008 and have to say it was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in for a number of reasons.

The room, whilst not the biggest I've ever stayed in (ok it was quite small) but the bed was fabulously comfortable and everything was spotlessly clean!

The upsides for me were the complimentary breakfast consisting of bagels, croissants, muffins, pastries with all types of cream cheese, jams, butter etc along with unlimited juice, tea, coffee etc etc. This saves you a fortune in not having to buy breakfast each day. The hotel also provides complimentary tea,coffee,juice, pastries, biscuits/cookies, fruit 24 hours a day which is wonderful when you come home from a hard day sightseeing/shopping and just want to sit down with a cuppa! Or last thing at night if you like a cuppa before bed! They have complimentary wines and cheese every afternoon between 5 and 7pm offering white, red and rose wines along with a selection of cheeses and grapes. I found this a great break inbetween sightseeing all day and going back out in the evenings. They also have a lovely outdoor 'terrace' accessed from the dining/sitting room that you can sit out in with your breakfast/wine etc and just relax, you can also smoke out here which saves having to go downstairs and stand in the street!

I would never hesitate to stay here again and the only reason I'm not staying there on my trip in November is cos I'm on a strict budget this time.

Hope this might have helped.

Jules

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any opinion on Casablanca or Royalton Hotels

I've stayed in both and prefer the Casablanca myself, but the web sites for both hotels accurately convey the spaces and "personality" of each. So if what you've seen re: the Royalton appeals to you more, I predict you'll be happy there.

London Ontario
Level Contributor
584 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any opinion on Casablanca or Royalton Hotels

Thanks everyone.

I actually ended up booking at the Westin! Got a great rate and it seems to be in a wonderful area.

9. Re: Any opinion on Casablanca or Royalton Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2010, 06:19