We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Trip: 2/13-2/18

Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Our Trip: 2/13-2/18

Visited NYC with my 74 y.o. mom for 5 days, as a Christmas present to her. Her interests are mainly in fine art, music and theatre, mine in same areas plus food, so that was our focus. We had the most marvelous time. Can't wait to go back, like everyone else. The time I got to share with my mom was an absolute treasure. It was a (compared to many others) fairly low key pace, due to her health issues, but that made for a pretty relaxing time. And boy, I loved the snow!

I will break my "report" up into little bytes, so as not to have a really long initial submission, but did want to say that many of the recommendations we got from the NYC forum were incredibly invaluable and really contributed to a magical trip. Thanks to all!

Sarah

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,115 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
999 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,388 reviews
from US$36.00*
Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Trip: 2/13-2/18

Our Hotel: Sheraton NY Towers

During the Christmas holiday, we were looking at hotel websites and TA reviews, trying to plan our trip and choose a hotel. Came across a "Mystery Midtown 4Star Hotel" on BookIt.com. Well, we'd had a few glasses of wine and were feeling giddy with the plans, so decided, what the hey! I actually called the website and asked 1) about the possibility of getting a double-bedded room (yes, was the answer) and 2) if he could give me any info as to the east-west orientation of the hotel. I knew it was between Times Sq and Central Pk, but didn't want to end up way over on one of the rivers. The kind contact person told me that the hotel was on 7th Avenue so we went ahead and booked.

Got a double-bedded room for $170 per night at the Sheraton NY Towers. 50th floor with a fabulous view, and we were given Club status, so free breakfasts and afternoon hors d'oeuvres, and computer access. The rooms were small and as reviews state, hallways and carpeting was a bit tired, but bathroom was clean, noise wasn't an issue at all, food was good, and the beds and linens were incredibly comfortable. The location for us was very convenient to everywhere we wanted to go. My mom was having some mobility issues, so we literally couldn't walk more than an avenue block...this location was great in terms of subway access and relatively central with respect to cab rides. Nothing we wanted to go to was far, e.g. expensive.

Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Trip: 2/13-2/18

Best Restaurant Finds

Our Valentine's Day brunch at L'ECOLE, the restaurant attached to the French Culinary Institute in SoHo, was incredible! It is such a lovely space, beautiful table settings and light from big windows. Wonderful service, lovely music. And the food! We got to choose 2 courses from an extensively delicious menu. Everything we ordered was fabulous. And the price--$20 each for the 2 course prix fixe. Wow! I had pear and gorgonzola soup and eggs florentine, mom had a beautiful arugula salad and hanger steak and eggs, and my cousin the soup and a burger. Lovely bread basket, teas and interesting cocktails available. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

We had a great night at DIZZY'S CLUB COCA COLA/Jazz at Lincoln Center--thanks to those who helped recommend. We had the best time sitting at the bar; I think a first for my mom! Food was fine, nothing to knock your socks off, but tasty. Very engaging bartender who offered us tastes of several different gins and comped us a round of drinks. The music was delightful--Freddy Cole and his quintet, playing a set of romantic jazz standards. The musicians were huge talents, some quite young, others old pros known to my mom, and we had great seats for watching them.

Other hits were La Boite en Bois (French bistro on Central Park West near Lincoln Center), Becco in the theatre district (great prices--I had a mussels appetizer as my entree, and I swear I had 1.5 lbs of mussels in my bowl), the Cafe Sabarsky at the Neue Galerie for a light lunch and Viennese pastry, 5 Napkin Burger for a late night knock your cholesterol out of the park delicious burger, and Tramantine (sp?) in theatre district for great pizza.

Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Trip: 2/13-2/18

Theatre

We saw Ariadne auf Naxos, by Strauss, at the Metropolitan Opera. Wow on many levels! Got to see all the main performers as those who'd been sick the previous time were back in role. Nina Stemme, lead mezzo-soprano was unbelievable. Kind of outshined her co-star (could have used a stronger lead tenor). Most fun part was that one of the lesser-role tenors is a guy I grew up 2 doors away from in good old Wauwatosa, Wis. Local boy makes good!

Billy Elliot was outstanding. Better than I expected. I didn't want it to end, and will definitely try to see it again sometime. Who are these kids who can sing and dance like this??

Time Stands Still with Laura Linney, et al, was also wonderful. Very different crowd than at Billy Elliot--fun people watching. Highly recommend seeing this if you can catch it.

Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Trip: 2/13-2/18

Museums

We visited the Whitney for the very interesting biennial retrospective; quick run in to the Guggenheim; battled crowds at MoMA (what is with all the photo taking??) and ran out of time--could have spent another whole day there. My kind of art. We ducked into the American Museum of Folk Art as the line to get into MoMA was really long first thing in the morning--we thought it was worth a quick trip, but wasn't our favorite. HOT TIP: if you do visit AMFA and check your coat, leave it there when you go to MoMA. We must have spent an hour in a very hot line to check coats and another 20 minutes to retrieve them.

Spent a great day at the Met seeing (among many other things) the Bronzino drawings--a beautifully curated exhibit of Florentine art: sketches this post-Michaelangelo artist did before painting his larger frescos, murals and canvases. You really got a sense of his craft and how they "work".

Loved the Neue Galerie. I could move in! We caught the last day of the Sabarsky collection of German and Austrian expressionists. So worth the whole trip.

And the little gems that are the Frick Collection and the Morgan Library--together these make a great day. (Just know there is no cafe at the Frick, but a lovely one at the Morgan). Loved the Catherine of Cleves illuminated Book of Hours exhibit and the Jane Austen show.

Wish we had more time at MoMA and the Met, and wish we'd made it to the Rubin and the Cooper-Hewitt. Hey--another reason to go back!

Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Trip: 2/13-2/18

Final Word--leftover metro cards:

As we were at LaGuardia getting our boarding passes on our ways home, I came across our Metro cards in my pocket.. Mine still had a couple bucks on it, my mom's probably about $4. I almost tossed them...then I asked the ticket agent at the airline counter if he could use them--and his face totally lit up. He then suggested we give one of them to one of the other women working down at the next counter. They were all so appreciative. It got us wondering how many people leave the city with bits of unused money on their cards. Too bad there is not some sort of "unused metro card" receptacle at the airport.

Just something to think about--we felt like we had good karma after that! (and lo and behold, our planes were on time and uneventful!)

Okay--all done!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,847 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Trip: 2/13-2/18

Sounds like a really lovely trip and you also seemed to have really fulfilled your wish list of places to go - theater and art.

Glad you enjoyed it...

Level Contributor
2,863 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our Trip: 2/13-2/18

Glad you enjoyed the Wooden Box near the Lincoln Center. It is a

favorite of mine and good value.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
28,838 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our Trip: 2/13-2/18

Good TR nice to take your mom glad you had a good time.

Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our Trip: 2/13-2/18

SoBeAddict--of course, it IS a Wooden Box, but doesn't the French version sound so much more inviting? ;-)

We really enjoyed it, and went, in part, due you your's and others' recommendations. The staff was incredible. Perfect distance from Lincoln Center and a lovely walk in the snow!

They (along with many others, I'm sure) have had slow business this winter--so GO!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our Trip: 2/13-2/18

Very enjoyable report. Did you wind up making it to any of the galleries on the LES?