We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Continental or Virgin from london to nyc- your experiences

njh
uk
Level Contributor
389 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Continental or Virgin from london to nyc- your experiences

Hiya

looking to decide between continental ro virgon..virgin are a bit more expensive but its a long flight-- is it worth the extra....what are peoples experiences? i ahve flown continental from bristol and it wasn't great- had wing level seats which didn't recline as exit seats and same movies there AND back plus no free drinks..but then you pay for what you get I suppose?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Continental or Virgin from london to nyc- your experiences

What are the price difference between the two? All I can say is free drinks on Virgin with 50+ movies on demand and reclining seats in whole economy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Continental or Virgin from london to nyc- your experiences

Flown with both numerous times, economy class on most trans atlantic carriers is about the same. Price would be my only concern. Unless you are desperate for "free" booze.

I flew Continental last month (from Birmingham) and each seat could recline and had AVOD with about 40 or so films and dozens of TV shows.

njh
uk
Level Contributor
389 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Continental or Virgin from london to nyc- your experiences

not a huge price difference really..inflight entertainment when i flew from bristol was there but the sound quality was so bad I couldn't hear the films- neither could my partner and the touch screen entertainment meant you had someone jabbing you in the nack of the headrest the whole flight-- wasn't sure if different from heathrow as might be a diff plane..hmm virgin it is I think!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,273 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Continental or Virgin from london to nyc- your experiences

that sounds pretty subjective. Some seats will have bad systems, others work perfectly. If I get an older person behind me, they tend to have a heavy hand on the AVOD controls, if I have a kid, he's kicking my seat... And, the exit row is the best place to be - your flight from Bristol isnt a red eye - you leave and arrive during the day, so sleeping/reclining isnt so necessary. Next time, just dont get the exit row (leave it for people like me who would rather have legroom than recline).

Some Continental flights have AVOD, some of the older planes may not. I was just thrilled that we had the same movies going and coming to Mexico City on Delta, so I could see the end of Inglorious Bast-rds!

the ticket cost is based on how many seats are sold at any given point - not which is the better airline. While you make up your mind, the ticket price is probably rising.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Continental or Virgin from london to nyc- your experiences

Continental uses a mixture of B757 and B777. The B757 is a narrowbody with a single aisle whilst B777 is a widebody. All Virgin aircraft are widebodies either A340 or B747. I am sure CO would put their most updated aircraft on the LHR route due to the intense competition compare to the Bristol route. However it is a long way to fly in a narrowbody aircraft.

Newcastle Upon Tyne...
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Continental or Virgin from london to nyc- your experiences

We flew with Continental when we visited and the flight to New York was horrid, the seats were ok very narrow walkways and we only had 1 movie played during the whole flight which was a childrens movie. There was 1 monitor per every 4 or so rows so viewing was not great

The flight back however the seats were terrible but we had our own monitores with a huge selection of entertinement to choose from.

I have booked with BA for my next trip in June :-) If it were me I would go with Virgin

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Continental or Virgin from london to nyc- your experiences

I'll throw a spanner in the works here..

Delta.

By far the best US Carrier transatlantically that I've flown with, Don't charge for beer/wine on the flight, so you're getting the same kinda level of service as Virgin/BA, Have good flight times (early out, late back), and have great IFE, with interactive seat back headrests.

Also, you can book online, and reserve your seat, so you know damn well you won't be sitting at the back of the plane, etc etc, and will be able to recline the nice leather seats that they have.

I wouldn't spend more flying BA or Virgin, and I've never found them cheaper than Delta.

Delta fly 757's from MAN/EDI and they fly a widebody 767-400 from LHR (2 flights daily)

M

M

UK
Level Contributor
176 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Continental or Virgin from london to nyc- your experiences

Hi, we flew Continental from Bristol in december 2008. Excellent in all respects, individual monitors with multi media. There was no problem for us with leg room . If you check on seatguru it gives details of each plane with every airline so you can compare details for when you choose your seat.

I would choose Continental above BA or Virgin. We are going back to NY in a few weeks and yes again with Continental!

Good Luck!

Chrissie

icf
stoke on trent
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Continental or Virgin from london to nyc- your experiences

We have flown with continental twice from manchester to newark and both times never had any problems whatsoever,Pleasant staff ,great seat back systems,

Enjoy your trip,

Darren

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Continental or Virgin from london to nyc- your experiences

I like Virgin, have flown to Vegas twice with them and am booked to fly to New York with them in August. Always felt very looked after with Virgin but then I've never flown with the others mentioned so have nothing to compare it to.

Join there flying club and you accumulate miles with can be used as discounts on future flights.

Clare

Edited: 02 March 2010, 19:08