We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

broadway with 16 and 11 year old

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
363 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
broadway with 16 and 11 year old

planning on seeing one or two shows during our 5 1/2 day stay.

the kids don't want to do mary poppins for some reason, and we've already seen wicked here on the west coast (loved it).

i saw the lion king a few years ago on broadway.

we are now thinking 'phantom' and a couple night later 'memphis'.

has anyone seen memphis and liked it?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,374 reviews
from US$36.00*
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
970 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: broadway with 16 and 11 year old

I was just in New York last week with my fifteen year old. She loved In The Heights which we have seen two times. We also saw West side story. She really liked the dacing in it.,but i have to warn you the rape scene is quite violent.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: broadway with 16 and 11 year old

I am not really a theatre goer - only ever been in NYC & London, but I have seen Phantom twice and love it! It is utterly fantastic - highly recommended even though it was been running forever!

It is also heavily discounted!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: broadway with 16 and 11 year old

The two best things on Broadway for kids of these ages are actually not really on Broadway, but off-Broadway.

The first is Blue Man Group which is playing on Lafayette Street in Greenwich Village. If you do not know what blue man group is, they are an intense trio who mix comedy, satire and physical comedy. The first three rows are called the "poncho section", as these are provided to protect you from the shows messy proclivities.

The second is Fuerza Bruta which is playing in Union Square. This is a mix of Blue Man Group, Cirque du Soleil, and an anger management class. Lots of music, lights and colors. Running around the walls of the theater. Swimming - yes swimming- above your head. You are moved about, you get somewhat wet, you break things. Note that there are no seats and that you are moving or standing throughout the performance.

http://www.fuerzabrutanyc.com/

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
363 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: broadway with 16 and 11 year old

Thanks Mel! I was actually looking into Fuerza Bruta last night, it looked interesting (different!) Still thinking about that one.

I saw the Blue Man Group in Vegas and absolutely loved it.

Decisions.....

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: broadway with 16 and 11 year old

We saw Memphis and really enjoyed it-great music and dancing, some fun set features. The plot has been "done" a bit lately-think Hairspray, race relations, interracial love, but still a lot of fun.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: broadway with 16 and 11 year old

I saw Memphis and thought it was terrific but not sure the teens would appreciate it as much. I strongly second the recommendation of "In the Heights". I think it's just a great show for their age and yours. I think the world is split b/w Phantom and non Phantom lovers and I fall in the latter camp. It's visually stunning but I'm not into the music at all. Haven't seen Fuezer Bruta but the teens and young adults just love it. Know you have to stand through the performance. I'll also point out "Promises Promises" is opening March 27 with Kristin Chenowith and I think will be a hilarious show.

The current production of South Pacific just gets raves. It's playing at Lincoln Center (although considered a Broadway production) and that would be a different experience. There are also a lot of excellent non-musicals on depending on when you're coming.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: broadway with 16 and 11 year old

I know my 18 and 16 year old would love Memphis. I did waver a bit over the fact that you have an 11 year old, but you have to know your kid to know if they would like it. For example my 12 year old son (typical middle school boy;) enjoyed Finnians Rainbow! Go Figure.......

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
363 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: broadway with 16 and 11 year old

nywhiz, thanks for the info on promises promises. my kids love kristin chenoweth and we ended up getting tickets for that show. really looking forward to it :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: broadway with 16 and 11 year old

I think it will be great. Sean Hayes should also be very good. The story is a bit dated, but the music is very good. You might get a recording of the original for them to familiarize with the songs.

USA
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: broadway with 16 and 11 year old

Taffey--when will you be going? is it soon? looking for a parental opinion about the new production.

NYWhiz, I've been looking into Promises for my wife as a birthday present, as she is a huge kristen fan. I was hoping to bring my stepdaughter, who is very into musicals and has been to many local productions. She's 5, although she's a bright, savvy kid. We sometimes let her watch things that others might consider appropriate for say 8 or 9 year olds. I'm still concerned about the two major themes--sexual content (beyond kissing or making out) and violence, particularly the suicide attempt. I'm a musical theatre novice and I haven't seen "the apartment", but I've been trying to research. However, an email to the contact at the show's website hasn't been replied to. Do you have any thoughts as someone who seems rather familiar with the show? She behaves well and would have no problem sitting quietly, and can follow adult conversations well, so it's just how those themes are presented that concerns me. Any info would be appreciated, so I could ensure my gift is appropriate before purchasing. Thanks in advance for any answers, links to helpful info, or better contacts at the show.