We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in Jamaica versus Long Island City?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
299 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation in Jamaica versus Long Island City?

I am planning to travel from Australia to NYC in November 2010 and will be on a budget. I notice there are good budget hotels in Jamaica and Long Island City. eg: The Ramada or Best Western. Which area is better for atmosphere, convenience, safety and transport and maybe food. I am a reasonably experienced traveller and don't scare too easily.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Accommodation in Jamaica versus Long Island City?

You'll have to ask them, JP, none of us works for Expedia or has any inside pull with them ;-) Maybe if you wrangle with them a bit, they'll agree to book you into another hotel for a modest change fee.

Edited: 08 March 2010, 05:00
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,751 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Accommodation in Jamaica versus Long Island City?

If you find you can't change your hotel--the sky has NOT fallen. You are some distance out BUT you are not on the other side of the world One thing to remember is that posters who LIVE in Manhattan don't understand how those of us who LIVE in Queens actually commute to Manhattan daily. Is it the closest location--NO, but to sit and feel that your vacation will be ruined is not accuate either re: rebooking to a more expensive Manhattan hotel--only you can decide which is more important--extra cost or extra travel time.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Accommodation in Jamaica versus Long Island City?

I don't live in Manhattan but lets be honest with the poster--- this is an absurd insane choice for a hotel given all the choices available. You may have to live with it but getting a hotel for holiday is very different than living in a section of town. You are downgrading your holiday to a point that will come close to ruining it. Change hotels if you can. For vacation purposes it is indeed on the other side of the world.

34. Re: Accommodation in Jamaica versus Long Island City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2010, 05:20