We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Question

stockport
Level Contributor
511 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding Question

We are coming to NYC in April. My OH proposed to me this weekend so we are going to get married at the City Clerks office. I've read all the info on their site. Can anyone tell me, do we have to return the following day, after the very quick ceremony to collect the marriage certificate?

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding Question

You need to go on at least two separate days. The first day you apply for the marriage license. The second day -- and at least 24 hours later -- you have the ceremony. I believe you can pick up the certificate the same day as the ceremony -- but you cannot complete the entire process in just one day.

Edited: 15 March 2010, 16:16
stockport
Level Contributor
511 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding Question

Thanks!

If we get married at any other office, they post the certificate to your home address. If its done at City Hall (City Clerks Office) you can have it there and then

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding Question

The only "office" at which you can get married in New York City is the Marriage Bureau of the City Clerk. There are five offices of the Marriage Bureau, with one in each borough. NONE of these are at City Hall. One does NOT get married at City Hall in New York City, but instead at the office of the City Clerk's Marriage Bureau. The Manhattan Marriage Bureau is in a building at the corner of Worth and Centre Streets, on the north side of Foley Square, about a half mile from City Hall.

Edited: 15 March 2010, 17:26
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding Question

Wouldn't you rather leave the States with the "extended" marriage certificate and Apostille in hand that you need (I assume) since you are not US residents? You'll want to allow time to get that accomplished; info about that on the Marriage Bureau's web site and the site of New York State's Department of State:

…nyc.gov/html/marriage/faq.shtml#certificate

www.dos.state.ny.us/corps/apostille.html

Edited: 15 March 2010, 17:47
5. Re: Wedding Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2010, 06:18