We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice for weekend getaway to NYC

PA
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice for weekend getaway to NYC

My husband and I are looking to get away for a weekend while my parents are visiting and can watch the kids. We are looking at going Saturday March 27 - 28. We would like to go see a show, have a nice dinner, and whatever else...so any recommendations for the following would be appreciated:

Broadway shows - thinking Wicked if I can get tickets, but any other recommendations?

Hotels? We won't have a car and don't want to spend more then $200 for the night, but want some place nice and in a nice area...anything reasonable by the theaters?

Dinner? Any suggestions for a nice but not crazy expensive dinner?

Any other suggestions for what to do for a short weekend trip?

Thanks!

cape cod ma
Level Contributor
367 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice for weekend getaway to NYC

Check travelzoo for nyc hotel deals, kayak is also a good search engine. Wicked is a great show, but also check broadwaybox.com for a list of discounted shows. There's so many good ones!

Mystic, CT
Level Contributor
112 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice for weekend getaway to NYC

try Priceline for Hotels. Pick area you want and then pick a 4 star hotel - probably start at $150. We are going this same weekend and this worked well for us in battery park area. We booked Millenium Hilton for $150 - but I understand there may be construction noise for WTC construction, so pick the area by Times Sq. - this has worked well for us many times.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice for weekend getaway to NYC

You need to be more specific about your likes and dislikes in order to get recommendations for theater and restaurants. Do you want to see a play or a musical? Drama or comedy? What sorts of food are you interested in? What is your budget/person for this nice meal?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice for weekend getaway to NYC

Wicked is still the most popular show on Broadway, never discounted and hard to get. With such short notice you may not find tickets at all unless you're willing to pay a high premium through a broker. If you can't find tickets on the official website, you might check the sold out section of

broadwaybox.com

or

www.applause-tickets.com

There are plenty of other good shows, many of which are discounted on the left column on Broadwaybox. In the Heights is wonderful as is the revival of South Pacific at Lincoln Center.

Lots of restaurants do good value prix fixe dinners before the theater. Pick a show first and then we can help with a nearby restaurant.

menupages.com

will be a big help. The theaters are in the west 40's-50's. ViceVersa is an Italian I like in the 50's that's nicer than the average theater district place. There's also nice ethnic food like Toloache or Hell's Kitchen for Mexican, Akdeniz for Turkish...what kind of food do you like?

As for hotel, while I think the concept of using Priceline for a 1 night stay is a good one, it's sometimes hard to get a win for a 1 night Sat,. night stay and a common win in the TS area is the Sheraton which is really not very good right now (and will be renovated shortly). I'm not seeing a lot of great options under $200 for that night near the theaters. The Distrikt is a new hotel that's $199- 219 plus tax (15%) on the hotel's own website and should be very nice.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d1503474…

Yes, you can find some budget hotels like Radio City apartments or the Hotel at Times Square for a few dollars less, but it seems very little more to spend for a more enjoyable and luxurious feeling stay.

What else to do depends on your interests. A museum? A stroll through Central Park if it's nice weather? Maybe a cruise in the harbor

nywaterway.com

does a nice one. Brunch on Sunday?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice for weekend getaway to NYC

I would try Priceline for hotel. I bid on 4* times square and got the Hilton Times Square for $150/night + taxes for Mar. 19-21. Have stayed there before, it's in a great location.

6. Re: Need advice for weekend getaway to NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2010, 07:16