We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pan American hotel?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
348 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Pan American hotel?

Im coming to new york for 5 nights. May 14th to May 19th.

I have been looking about for good hotel deals approx $150 per night for three adults sharing. In previous years I would have been able to get this rate but I can't find anything suitable.

I can get the Pan American for $330 including taxes for 5 nights which im tempted to book as a back-up while I keep looking for something better. I am very comfortable with the subway and I believe there is a station very close by.

I only intend booking it as a back-up but if nothing else appeared would it be that bad a choice.

Thanks

James

EDIT: I intend to buy a 7 day metro pass regardless if I stay in manhatten or anywhere else.

Edited: 20 March 2010, 10:36
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
348 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pan American hotel?

Sorry getting my currencies mixed up it should be £150 / $105 per night.

The Pan American is still $330 for five nights

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pan American hotel?

The Country Inn and Suites Long Island City is well within your budget and a much better location than The Pan American. On your dates they have a fully cancelable rate of $110 per night (before taxes) . Also a nonrefundable rate of $82.50. Long Island City is a neighborhood of Queens and just across the East River from Manhattan. There is an adjacent subway station and it's a quick ride to midtown. A continental breakfast buffet is included in the rate and many rooms have Manhattan skyline views.

Forest Hills, New...
Level Contributor
377 posts
503 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pan American hotel?

The PAN AM Hotel is on Queens Boulevard and isn't exactly right next to a subway station, but the GRAND AVENUE subway station is about a 10 minute walk down Queens Boulevard, easy to find since it's on the same Boulevard as the hotel. The PAN AM Hotel is a good way to save money.

There is a large all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet restaurant called EAST directly across Queens Boulevard from the hotel. EAST caters mainly to Chinese immigrants (like my wife), although there are usually a few White people there (like me).

On your way to the subway from the hotel, you'll pass the "Pop Diner" and a "Wendy's". Just past the subway entrance is the "Georgia Diner" and a mall with a "Red Lobster" and "Outback Steakhouse", in addition to a DAFFY'S, TARGET and BEST BUY. A few blocks beyond that, in between the "Grand Avenue" and "Woodhaven" subway stops is one of the largest Malls in New York City, the QUEENS CENTER MALL, with a MACY'S and a JC PENNEY, and a large food court, in addition to dozens of other shops:

http://www.shopqueenscenter.com/home.asp

If you're staying at the PAN AM Hotel, you might want to check out the shops, restaurants and bars on or around AUSTIN STREET in Forest Hills. You take the local train from GRAND AVENUE four stops in the Forest Hills-Jamaica direction to "71st Avenue - Continental" and walk one block south to Austin Street. If you walk two more blocks south, you get to FOREST HILLS GARDENS, one of the most beautiful residential neighborhoods in the US.

Forest Hills, New...
Level Contributor
377 posts
503 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pan American hotel?

Make sure you check out the reviews of any hotel here at Trip Advisor first. You can usually get a good idea about the hotel and area from reading the reviews.

Here are the reviews for the PAN AM:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g47681-d126259-…

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pan American hotel?

JamieNYC sums it up pretty well. I think the Pan Am is a decent choice in Queens, but, as was said, there are few more (and newer) Queens hotels closer to Manhattan.

Jamsieboi - have you looked at the La Quinta in Sunnyside? That might be a better Queens alternative, since it is right by the #7 train and a very short trip to Manhattan.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pan American hotel?

"Sorry getting my currencies mixed up it should be £150 / $105 per night.

The Pan American is still $330 for five nights"

You still have them mixed up. £150 = $225 a night

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pan American hotel?

I consider the Pan Am hotel marginally adequate...nothing decent around there except for two malls. You're better off looking at the suggestions already offered for Long Island City.

8. Re: Pan American hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 05:18