We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dollars

manchester
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
dollars

I've seen various posts regarding best way to bring currency, are dollar traveller cheques still as good as cash for payment in restaruants etc, we used these last time we were in Florida.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dollars

Many places take traveler's checks, including hotels and tourist attractions. Not sure about restaurants, but you can change them at most banks. Some banks will require you be a customer, but some banks will change them for you.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dollars

You might like to check out this thread from yesterday:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k34887…

Personally I never had problems changing or paying for things in TCs (even in Century 21!) but that was in 2005 and I think things have moved on. ATMs offer a good alternative where you get a very good exchange rate,

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dollars

In a restaurant if your server is under 30 they may say "what is that" they are used very infrequently here anymore but many places will accept them including hotels.. the most common method these days is to use an ATM to take money out of your home bank. Just be mindful of the charges imposed by your local bank. Sometimes they are nothing and sometimes they are quite hefty.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
596 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dollars

I've never had a problem with TC's anywhere in America but you do have to show photographic id in most shops/restaurants and I now look nothing like my driving licence or 9yr old passport so usually get a few raised eyebrows - banks insist on a passport for id. Have you looked at using a zero credit card - Santander are offering one at the moment and I think Nationwide are doing something similar. You also need to bear in mind in NYC there are lots of small cafes/shops that only take cash.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dollars

We took some cash in dollars and then just used atm's

check with your bank to see what charges you are liable for

manchester
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dollars

Thanks for all replys

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dollars

Go with a Prepaid Credit card like FairFX or Caxton, I'm sure you'll get a better rate and Mastercard is probably accepted more widely than a travellers cheque.

M

manchester
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dollars

not heard of farfx or caxton are they linked to Mastercard if so you just put an amount of dollars on at a predetermined rate and use as a normal credit card?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dollars

"I've seen various posts regarding best way to bring currency, are dollar traveller cheques still as good as cash for payment in restaruants etc, we used these last time we were in Florida."

Any place that's not a chain is unlikely to accept them. They're definitely not "as good as cash." That phrase keeps popping up again and again. Is that how they're advertised or something?

stockport
Level Contributor
507 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dollars

Nationwide charge 1%. If you use a credit card, bear in mind that Visa charge for conversion, normally 2.75%. We are going soon and have a Caxton Card, pre loaded with $'s. Today is 1.50 to the £. If you want cash take a look at 'Change Group' delivered free