We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Empire Hotel

Seattle
Level Contributor
621 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
The Empire Hotel

Just got this Hotel on Priceline for July 14-19. I read some of the reviews which are kind of mixed but can't beat the rate I got. Will it be easy to get to & from Penn Station? Any suggestions for great restaurants close to the Hotel? Any tips for using public transportation to & from this Hotel? Thanks in advance for your help

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Empire Hotel

Consider yourself very fortunate. I don't want to say you've hit the lottery but you've done extremely well.

The Empire Hotel has a beautiful rooftop terrace and you'll absolutely love that location in the summertime with all the restaurants and their sidewalk tables. The hotel has charm and character. It isn't super / ultra modern. It is an old building but it is well-maintained. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the location.

People say unfavorable things about the Mandarin Oriental, Ritz Carlton, etc. I don't know what people are expecting when they come to New York - this isn't an Arizona resort with large villas and people who are thrilled to have a job. You get a clean, safe, moderately comfortable place to sleep and a functional staff.

The Empire Hotel is a short walk from the 59th Street / Columbus Circle subway station where the A, B, C and D trains stop. You can enter near 61st Street and Broadway. You've also got the 1 local train directly across the street. The 1 local train stops at Penn Station. Penn Station is four quick stops on the 1 train from the Empire Hotel.

Dovetail is one of my favorite restaurants. They do an amazing Sunday Suppa - it is just $38.00. Great value. Lots of great places in the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle including Landmarc and Bouley Bakery. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the Empire - especially with your close proximity to Central Park.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Empire Hotel

Haven't stayed at the Empire, but am very interested. Great location, easy access to subway lines and buses. I love the Upper West Side for the great neighborhood feel, plus easy access to Central Park, midtown and other areas. Have a great visit and let us know what you think after your visit.

Seattle
Level Contributor
621 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Empire Hotel

Thanks for the responses. I will for sure post a review of the Empire Hotel when we get back & also a full trip report of our trip in each of the forums. This year is our trial run to practice being gone longer & travelling lite between several cities through airports & train stations. This year we will do Seattle-Atlanta-Philadelphia-Atlantic City-NYC-Canada-Seattle. We will be gone 17 days & it will be a good practice to get ready for our 3 weeks trip to Italy next year =)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Empire Hotel

Hey mjoe:-) You can't go wrong w/that location..smack on Lincoln Square..subway, buses..all at your doorstep along w/loads of great restaurants! PJ Clarkes right on the corner of the building makes a great spinach salad;-) Have fun and EnjoY!

5. Re: The Empire Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2010, 05:19