We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel near Penn Station?

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
359 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel near Penn Station?

I'm looking for the best hotel for the buck near Penn Station. We need to have 3 beds as my teenage boys will not share a bed anymore. :) And bringing in a rollaway is just too cramped. So it seems that we need either a suite-type arrangement or 2 adjoining rooms.

Right now I've booked a 2-room "family suite" at the Hotel Metro for $245 a night. If anyone has a better suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks!

Nina

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Best hotel near Penn Station?

You're right, Voy--we do seem to have alot in common! But, alas, that was not me auditioning with you. It would seem that I just missed you at BU---I'm 5 years older. So I graduated probably a year before you got there!

To Shezzac---I hope you read all the reviews posted on the Hotel Pennsylvania. If you have and still want to stay there, I also hope that you get one of the few renovated rooms. It seems that from reading the reviews that the hotel often promises people that they'll get one only to deny it to them when they check in!

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
310 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Best hotel near Penn Station?

to SueFe

Its really hard trying to find something from over here. Everytime I find one that is under AUS$100 per night and then read the reviews there seems nothing but bad ones about them, not sure what else to do. It is really starting to put out our fire of excitement.

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Best hotel near Penn Station?

Keek,

Thanks for letting me know that the "family room" at the Metro is good. It seemed like the best deal I could find for the 4 of us. I figure the boys can have the room with the 2 beds, and hubby and I will be cozy in the double bed in the other room (we're used to a CA King).

Everyone,

Didn't mean to start such a squabble!!! :)

Nina

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Best hotel near Penn Station?

Shezzac---Don't despair! Have you tried looking at staying in Jersey City? There is a Hyatt there that is steps away from the PATH train. It is cheaper than the NYC hotels and the PATH train costs $1.50 each way and takes 15 minutes to get into NYC. Other people have recommended staying in Seacaucus since there is a bus that takes you into the Port Authority Bus station on 8th Ave., not too far from Times square.

Also, consider trying to bid for a room through priceline or one of the other discount sites. Others point out that priceline will only guarantee a room with one bed so if there are more than 2 of you or you want 2 beds, there are no guarantees. If you are willing to live with that, then go ahead and try. Read up on the hotels on this page to get an idea which ones are the good ones and then try to bid on them. Plus, keep in mind, if you are willing to stay in a Manhattan hotel that is not close to the subway, it will likely be cheaper.

By answering your question, it will move up in the forum and I'm sure others will pick up on it and give you other suggestions.

Last thing---if it comes down to choosing a fleabag dump in Manhattan or a nice hotel in Jersey, go with Jersey!

California
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Best hotel near Penn Station?

Hi Shezzac,

Sorry it took me so long to answer you, I've been gone. Anyway I'm glad I didn't ever read the reviews on this web sight before I went to NYC the last few times, because I also would have avoided the Hotel Penn. I'm glad I stayed there and like I said the people were very polite both times I stayed there.And also the rooms were nice to, the carpet was vacuumed, the private bathroom was clean, no problem with the windows not closing either. We had plenty of hot water, no noise, and we also had a small refridgator in the room.And the tv worked and so did everything else. The doors outside the room did need some paint and the halls could also use some fresh paint to. Also the hall carpet could use a cleaning to. But other than that who cares what the outside of the room looks like your not sleeping outside your room. And if you ask to stay in one of the rooms from the 10th floor on up, the newly renovated ones, and also book through the hotel only. And tell them your concerns they will take care of you. It makes a big difference. You see the hotel gives out a group of rooms to expedia, travelosity, etc. And they get the lesser desirable rooms, the ones not yet renovated. So it's up to you to take a chance to be in Mannhattan or go to NJ. I would't want to be so far away because your really tired after all the walking you've done all day, then to have a 15-20 min. travel time back to just rest your head to do it all over again the next day.

Also if you do the priceline thing you will get less desirable rooms no matter what hotel you get. Anyway let me know what your doing in the end. Especilly if you stay at the Hotel Penn. I would like to have your opinion on the Hotel Penn. after your stay.

Best of luck on you decisions. Have a great time, don't stress on the hotel, don't let it ruin your trip.

Nina, You didn't cause a squabble, the truth is very important.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Best hotel near Penn Station?

Shezzac---What is Aus$100 worth in US dollars? BTW, a person who stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania recently and posted a review said to the effect "hooker in next room wins an Oscar". Personally, I wouldn't want to stay in a place like that. Also, from reading the reviews, it seems that they often give out room keys to rooms that already have occupants. Someone else talked about finding used needles in the stairwell. Doesn't seem like a safe and secure place to me. Again, just note that the hotel often promises renovated rooms to people and when they get there, they are denied one. It seems to me that you take a chance by booking there. While it is good that they are starting to renovate the place, it sounds like it is only skin deep. If they are sincere, they would close down the place and do a complete overhaul including new heating and a/c, new plumbing and new electric wiring, for example.

In the end, it's up to you where you want to stay. Just note that a bad hotel experience can ruin an otherwise nice vacation. You may get lucky and get a renovated room at the Penn and it may be halfway decent, but do read the reviews posted here---too many people end up in ones that aren't renovated and have a miserable time.

New York
Level Contributor
717 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: Best hotel near Penn Station?

Shezzac, I'm going to tell you what I would tell a close friend:

UNLESS THERE ARE MATTERS OF HEALTH DON'T LIMIT YOUR HOTEL OPTIONS BY LOCATION.

New York City's transit system is exceptional and you'll master the subway system in no time at all--and you can always ask directions.

Given your budget which translates to about $75.00/night I would strongly recommend that you call the people at this website:

http://www.affordablenewyorkcity.com/

Tell them what you need and what you can afford and they will help you out.

There are all kinds of possibilities but this is the place to start.

These folks have a vested interest in seeing that you are a satisfied customer.

Carpenter

California
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: Best hotel near Penn Station?

Hey SueFee, have you ever stayed at the Hotel Penn yourself???? And bye the way the last time I stayed at the RITZ It was deffently an oscar winner hooker without a doubt in the next room. So does it mean that because there was a hooker in the Hotel Penn. that it's a lower class hotel. So I guess the RITZ must have higher class hookers then. Or maybe some newlyweds were in the room did your friend ask??? Who are the people who can say that anyway, unless they ask. Just like me in the RITZ CARLTON how do I know it wasn't newlyweds just having a good time. Get the picture???

Just rumors, don't believe everything you hear, check it out for youself. And I guess your thinking the needles were from drugies right, maybe it was from someone with diabetes. Or maybe someone thought they saw needles. What a bunch of rumors. How aweful to say things like that. It's people like you who ruin reputations.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Best hotel near Penn Station?

BJoy---The needles are not rumors. Read the reviews posted by people who stayed at the Penn. Someone who stayed there actually saw that. Why would a diabetic be giving themselves insulin in a hotel stairwell? If they were going into insulin shock, I doubt that they would be in a stairwell giving themselves insulin. I'm not ruining the Penn's reputation, they've already done that for themselves. If it were a great hotel, then the vast majority of posters on this page would be saying that. BTW, I'm glad to hear that you had a great experience there but it's obvious that most people don't. Also, it wasn't my friend who mentioned the hooker, it was a reviewer. Have you read the reviews posted here?

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Best hotel near Penn Station?

Shezzac---Carpenter has given you excellent advice. I have come up with 5 hotels in Queens that may fit your budget, also. If you are interested, please post back.