We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York in Spring - Sure Thing vs. Priceline

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
New York in Spring - Sure Thing vs. Priceline

Heading to NYC for 10th year anniversary for 5 days beginning 5/6/10.

Found what I feel is a great deal at the "yet-to-be-opened" Staybridge Suites on 40th & 8th at around $170 plus tax. Deal includes bfast, internet, evening cocktails. HAS to be prepaid and is not refundable.

The other side of the coin is to wait and bid on Priceline as the date gets closer.

Now, I need you awesome & experienced Trip ADVISORS to guide me - is $170/nite prepaid a good deal for the location? My dream location would be to find a hotel for $150/night in Central Park South or the east/west sides within 15 blocks of the south entrance. But then again, it is a dream.

Book the new hotel (which no one has even reviewed due to its delayed opening) or take my chances?

Thanks for your help!!!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,058 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,418 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Seattle
Level Contributor
707 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York in Spring - Sure Thing vs. Priceline

Just got 4* The Empire Hotel http://www.empirehotelnyc.com/home.php for $120/night through Priceline for 14-19July 20010. Looks like a great location in Upper West Side about 5 minutes walk from Central Park South.

Never too early to try bidding. I looked at last year reported winning bids on Priceline for the same dates & even people that waited to the last minute before bidding didn't get any lower than $110/night for any 4* in Manhattan. So to me not worth waiting at the last minute & go through the anxiety just to save $10. Make sure to check http://betterbidding.com/ before placing any bids on Priceline.

Seattle
Level Contributor
707 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York in Spring - Sure Thing vs. Priceline

Look at the reported winning bids for your dates last year:

www.betterbidding.com/index.php…

Click on the number of winning bids for a certain day on the calendar & you will see what was reported. Click on any of the reported winning bids & you will see when the person won the bid & usually what strategy they have used. You can also change the year of the calendar & see what has been reported so far this year for your exact dates.

Seattle
Level Contributor
707 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York in Spring - Sure Thing vs. Priceline

Just tried the link I posted & saw that it doesn't bring you to your dates. Still use the link but enter the dates yourself but look at 2009 instead of 2010 & select "New York - Priceline" before clicking on "submit" .

Let me know if you have any trouble

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,429 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York in Spring - Sure Thing vs. Priceline

Staybridge

If you want to be near Central Park, this location ain't it. It's a pretty unattractive block at the back of the bus terminal, but there are several other new hotels on the block and it's convenient to Times Square & theaters.

There's a rate of $167/night advance purchase rate on the hotel's own website. You could book a flexible rate of $189 so you've got something.

Other options

There's a "secret" bargain hotel on quikbook.com for your dates in Central Park South area for $159/night plus tax for your dates that I believe is the Hudson. Standard rooms there are quite small but if that's your preferred location, that's not a bad deal. It's also not cancelable and requires prepayment.

I do think you can probably get a hotel on Priceline for $150/night or less but you should know what hotels you're likely to get before you start bidding. Look at the lists carefully on betterbidding. If you don't mind the possibility of a really small room, bid on Central Park South (4*). The Parker Meridien is one option but that area also includes 6 Columbus, a very nice hotel but their smallest rooms (pods) are really too small for 2 people and probably the room size you'd get on a Priceline bid.

You also run the risk of getting what I consider some "dogs" if you're not careful. A frequent win in midtown west is the Sheraton which is in dire need of renovation (and that may have started). In midtown east, the W New York has teeny tiny rooms and the Waldorf has some real war weary rooms.

Bidding 4* upper west side might be your best bet as that can only be the Empire and would be a great location for you.

Mentioned in this post
Hudson
Hudson
New York
5. Re: New York in Spring - Sure Thing vs. Priceline

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2010, 06:16