We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving out of the city

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Driving out of the city

Hi all.

We will be driving out of Manhattan towards Niagara Falls. We are starting at 323 West 34th street (between 8th & 9th). What's the best/easiest way to get out of the city and head west?

Would you recommend going through the Lincoln Tunnel, or north through Harlem and then across the George Washington Bridge?

Thanks! :-)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,634 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving out of the city

I'm glad you reposted. I'll repeat my advice from your other thread, so others can see it:

It is entirely dependent on that day's traffic. There are three main traffic radio stations in NYC: 1010, 880, and 1130. 1010 has traffic on the 1s, 880 on the 8s, and 1130 on either the 5s or 6s, I can't remember. (In other words, at 12:01, 12:11, 12:21, etc., there will be atraffic report on 1010.) Watch a local news channel before you leave the hotel, and then listen to the traffic reports in the car. Use the route with the fewest delays.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving out of the city

Personally, I would never go through the Tunnel. Ugh. Definitely, my choice when driving in and out of Manhattan (coming from a northern suburb) is the West Side Highway (aka Henry Hudson Parkway). Your post mentions "driving through Harlem and across the GW Bridge"....just wanted to mention that you don't actually drive through Harlem, but instead are on a highway on the western-most part of it. In fact, the West Side Highway to the GW Bridge is one of the most beautiful drives in the world!! You are on the banks of the Hudson River, looking across to the magnificent Palisades cliffs that make up the most of the west side of the river. I've taken dozens of tourists on this drive, and it's never failed to leave them speechless. Not to mention, that when you drive past the 77th Street exit, you can look out into the river and see where Scully put that plane down! So...definitely, my vote is GW Bridge! Good travels!!

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving out of the city

Oopsss...... TYPO...... I meant to type "Sully", as in Capt. Sullenberger, the amazing pilot who made an emergency landing of the US Airways plane in the Hudson in Jan. 2009....without any loss of life!!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving out of the city

I use the Lincoln tunnel all the time, and don't have any problem with it. As it is, if you will already be on 34th Street, you just turn right out of that garage and go over to Dyer Avenue, which is the tunnel access road and which you enter on 34th Street between Ninth and Tenth - that is, one block from where you start. Nothing could be easier.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving out of the city

Okay, thanks everyone.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,393 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving out of the city

Considering where you are starting from, it would be foolish IMO to NOT use the tunnel. You are right there!

BTW do you know you can go to mapquest.com and have them plan a route for you?

Edited: 28 March 2010, 15:53
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving out of the city

Having been burned more than once by MapQuest directions (e.g., told to turn left when I should have turned right), let me recommend anything other than Mapquest. GoogleMaps is now my personal fave, but you may prefer the format of MapBlast (MSNMaps) or YahooMaps.

8. Re: Driving out of the city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2010, 05:18