We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alice's Tea Cup

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
581 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Alice's Tea Cup

I've been researching places to have afternoon tea while there next weekend and Alice's seems to be the place with the best price and location for our needs. Am wondering what kind of dress code there is, if any, as well as how the food/tea is.

My 18-year old daughter and I would like a place where we wouldn't be out of place in very casual clothing. We'd be spending time at Central Park afterwards, then walking down into midtown & Times Square area.

It looks like they have a good assortment of teas/sanwiches/sweets, and for both of us it would be under $40.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alice's Tea Cup

No dress code at all. I have to say I think these places are totally overrated and better for kids than adults. Where will you be and which location where you considering?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
581 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alice's Tea Cup

We're staying at Embassy Suites downtown and I was thinking of the W. 73rd St. location for the tea since it is so close to Central Park.

Is it too much a kid's place? Daughter is 18, but half the time she acts a lot younger LOL.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alice's Tea Cup

It is not a kid's place at all and my wife and daughter (lots older than your daughter) go there all the time. I am not a big tea drinker at all but for what it is it is fine. I have been in both locations and I like the one on W73 better but what do i know. Perhaps Whiz has never been there but i have rarely seen a kid in there and I don't think the menu would lend itself to kids.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alice's Tea Cup

It's just not that special. It's more like a tea room or sandwich shop with cute stuff painted on the walls. I find the staff unprofessional and the food just ok. There's something about the formality and "specialness" of afternoon tea that's totally lacking at these places (which makes them fine for kids. They do a big business in kids' b'day parties). In that particular location you'd get a lot of young Mothers with children.

A nicer spot that's also kid friendly but feels special is Bemelman's bar at the Carlyle hotel (on the east side of the park but actually closer to the park than Alice's). Their trad. tea is $40.

www.thecarlyle.com/i/pdf/madeline_menu.pdf

The Petrie Court inside the Met Museum also serves tea and is inexpensive. The Museum is closed on Mons.

metmuseum.org/visit/dining/petrie_menu#tea

And at the south end of Central Park, a number of the hotels along Central Park South (Ritz Carlton, Essex House, Mandarin Oriental in the Time Warner buiding) serve afternoon tea. In fact, the restaurant in Bergdorf Goodman also serves tea but I don't know the price.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
581 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alice's Tea Cup

I looked at the links, but I think I will still go with Alice's. They have an advantage over the others because there isn't a set time for tea. Most of the others I've seen the tea starts around 3pm and is available until around 5:00. Also, Alice's is cheaper - I don't want it to be all about money, but that is a consideration. We can both have tea, sandwiches, scones & a dessert for under $40.

If I had to rank it, I'd say food quality/choice would be our first concern, price second and atmosphere last.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alice's Tea Cup

Alice's will be fine for you . Their scone selection is pretty good.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alice's Tea Cup

We visited Alices Tea cup! it was a cute little place and good food not bad prices.

8. Re: Alice's Tea Cup

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2010, 07:17