We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking the bus & subway to/from LGA - am I crazy?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
606 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Taking the bus & subway to/from LGA - am I crazy?

I am only thinking of doing this, haven't made my mind up yet. We're staying at the Embassy Suites in the Financial District. Arriving this Friday at 11am, leaving Sunday at 6:30 p.m.

It looks fairly easy to get a bus to a subway stop, then subway down to Chambers St and walk to the hotel from there. Taking a taxi would be $40-50. I'd really like to save money on this trip, but if it's going to take us an additional 2 hours travel time, I'd just as soon pay for a cab.

We will each have a carry on bag, no checked luggage, so I think very manageable in that respect.

So, give me the pros & cons!

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking the bus & subway to/from LGA - am I crazy?

Money versus time, your choice !!!

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking the bus & subway to/from LGA - am I crazy?

I do it all the time. I've been doing this since I was a kid. Cabs are expensive.

There are a lot of people on this forum who clearly do not have the same appreciation for saving money and will simply tell you to just take a taxi.

I take the Q.33 bus to the E train regularly and it is quick, easy and painless.

You can take either the Q.33 or the M.60 but the Q.33 will be best for you. It runs every ten to fifteen minutes and takes 20 - 25 minutes. It is clearly marked and easy to find on the Baggage Claim level. You're going to the very last stop where the bus pulls in underneath the overhang on 75th and Roosevelt - the driver will turn the lights off.

Simply go downstairs and get the E train to the last stop, World Trade Center and then walk to your hotel. It will take about an hour. A cab may take the same amount of time if you have to stand in line and if there is any traffic.

I don't know what pros and cons you are looking for but the bus to the subway is $2.25 and it is fast and efficient. What are you worried about?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
606 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking the bus & subway to/from LGA - am I crazy?

Not worried, but I just don't want to waste a lot of time. The flight is 2 hours, I don't want getting to the hotel to take as long as the flight. We have so little time and there's so much we want to do that I would hate to waste any of it.

When you say it will take an hour - is that total from the airport to the hotel or is the time on the subway an hour which would be 1 1/2 hours if you add in the bus ride?

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking the bus & subway to/from LGA - am I crazy?

Time and convenience versus money, no schlepping bags, door to door !!!

your choice.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking the bus & subway to/from LGA - am I crazy?

Moreffmiles always argues for the bus-subway combo but remember he is a native and i think that makes a world of difference... given the times you are coming and going I would opt for the taxi only because of the bags and the unfamiliarity of the area.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,747 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking the bus & subway to/from LGA - am I crazy?

If you order a car service, it will be a fixed price and likely less than the taxi to get to the ES. Book online for pickup for $29 plus tip. There are no tolls on the downtown bridges.

dial7.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking the bus & subway to/from LGA - am I crazy?

>>When you say it will take an hour - is that total from the airport to the hotel or is the time on the subway an hour which would be 1 1/2 hours if you add in the bus ride?>>

The subway ride from the Jackson Heights / Roosevelt Avenue stop to the WTC stop on the E is scheduled to take around 30 minutes.

www.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/tecur.pdf

Edited: 29 March 2010, 13:13
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking the bus & subway to/from LGA - am I crazy?

The Q33 buses pull up to the LGA terminal every 10 minutes at that time of the morning; the E trains are just 4-6 minutes apart at that time; and the subway ride itself to the World Trade Center station is 30 minutes. So shouldn't be much more than an hour door-to-door.

Edited: 29 March 2010, 13:21
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking the bus & subway to/from LGA - am I crazy?

Exactly - as CockleCove said. Exactly.

In my experience with the prearranged sedans like Dial 7 - it has never ever saved me any money over a taxi between Manhattan and either LaGuardia or JFK Airport (in either direction). Dial 7 and All State are excellent if you need a sedan to / from Newark Airport however in my personal experience it hasn't driven any cost savings to / from LaGuardia / JFK.

Further - when you prearrange a sedan with Dial 7 or All State (I prefer All State) - you have to ring them when you reach the Baggage Claim area. Sometimes it is ten to fifteen minutes before you connect with your driver. If you call too far in advance and you miss the driver it takes even longer. I've always found, especially coming in from the airports, it is quicker to get a yellow taxi than find the prearranged sedan driver. This may be just my experience and may not be a fully representative sample.

As far as the Q. 33 bus to the E train - it is incredibly well marked and you don't have to worry about traffic on the Grand Central Pkwy, the BQE and getting through the tunnel or over a bridge and then through Manhattan traffic.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
606 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking the bus & subway to/from LGA - am I crazy?

FFmiles, you've convinced me to give it a try. I'll do it and see how it works out and depending on that and how Sunday goes, I may take it back to the airport for our departure, or I may just get a cab.

Thanks for all the replies!