We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Review My Plans

US
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Please Review My Plans

Hi everyone :)

I'm traveling to NYC mid-april with hubs and our 2 girls (5-6 years). It is like my 5th time but the first one for the girls and my husband. Were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary and my birthday... This is what I have planned as of now, but I accept recomendations.

1 day (tuesday) : arrive at JFK mid-day. Go to hotel at Time Square, leave our luggage. Walk or take a cab or the subway to St. Patricks Cathedral and then start going down the 5th until we reach the ESB before dawn. Eat somewhere nice close to the ESB that is kid friendly {recomendations accepted}

2 day (friday): Subway to battery park, see the SOL from the park and then walk the brooklyn bridge into Manhattan. Then Chinatown, Little Italy, SOHO??? Too much for one day?

3 day (saturday): National Museum of Nat. History and then .... I don't know. How many hours you think will take the museum?

4ht day: (sunday): Central Park - I want to spend the whole day here. My girls love picnics so i want to have one, take the row boats, ride the model boats, see the castle, the fountain, ride the carrousel....

5th day: don't know yet. We leave late at night so we can get good use of the day.

I would like to go to Dylan's Candy Bar but I dont know which day to insert it --- because I want to be in the area that day.

Please feel free to comment or offer advise.

Thanks

Nikka

Mentioned in this post
Time Square Apartments
Time Square Apartments
27 Reviews
New York City, NY
St. Patrick's Cathedral
St. Patrick's Cathedral
11,210 Reviews
New York City, NY
Subway
Subway
6 Reviews
New York City, NY
Little Italy
Little Italy
3,192 Reviews
New York City, NY
SoHo
SoHo
3,677 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
114,454 Reviews
New York City, NY
Dylan's Candy Bar
Dylan's Candy Bar
907 Reviews
New York City, NY
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
818 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Review My Plans

Well, your sense of time is a bit confusing. I'm assuming that "Day 1-Tuesday; Day 2-Friday" is just a typo -- but you're arriving mid-day and hoping to get to the Empire State building before dawn? Do you mean sunset?

Mentioned in this post
Empire State Building
Empire State Building
70,093 Reviews
New York City, NY
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,133 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Review My Plans

I went to the Museum of Natural History on a Saturday once (and it was rainy) ... what a zoo!

I've been there on a sunny weekday andit was much more calm. Although there are school groups there, during the week, I found them easier to deal with. I'd recommend doing the museum on a weekday. Even if it rains, lots of potential customers (kids and parents) are at school and work.

Edited: 30 March 2010, 20:14
Mentioned in this post
The Museum at FIT
The Museum at FIT
184 Reviews
New York City, NY
US
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Review My Plans

Yeap! My mistake. I arrive thursday. And yeah, it's not dawn but sunset...

US
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Review My Plans

Good advice on the Museum. I guess i can change it to friday...

Mentioned in this post
The Museum at FIT
The Museum at FIT
184 Reviews
New York City, NY
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Review My Plans

Just a few possibilities-- to look at

I am assuming that day one is actually a Thursday not Tuesday then the rest of it makes sense -- sort of---

day one looks ok but if you are in Times Square you can walk both to Saint Patricks and Rockefeller Center very easily. If you are not absolutely committed to ESB I would switch this to the Top of the Rock which is at Rockefeller center and there are lots of places in that area to eat. Just avoid chain restaurants.

day two when you get to Battery Park rather than looking at the statue from the park look for the Staten Island Ferry and take this ride for free and it goes right by the statue and then you get off and turn around and come back just follow the crowd and you will see it again on the way back--- out and back takes about an hour. Then when you get off the ferrry take the subway (R line to Court street) in Brooklyn) walk down Montague street to the Promenade for a great view of the harbor and Manhattan. Then walking down the Promenade to Cranberry Street walk out Cranberry street heading towards the stairs leading to the Bridge--- there have been numerous postings on this area which is known as Brooklyn Heights that will help you find your way.--- Once you walk across the bridge you will be able to walk to China Town--- don't worry about Little Italy it really is only one street now (Mulberry Street) and it is more part of China Town than anything else. You should be pretty tired by then but if you want you can keep walking up to SOHO but I might save that for another day. I don't think your kids will be able to do all this walking.

Day 3- I sort of agree that the Nat Hist museum will be crowded but you don't have enough days to be flexible but the good thing is it is right across the street from Central Park so if you hit the Museum when it opens and do a few hours you have the rest of this day for the park freeing up all Sunday.

Day 4--- sunday--- now free I would pick another part of town like the Village to spend the day just wandering around..

Day 5- between now and then you will come up with some more ideas to start filling in.

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
44,176 Reviews
New York City, NY
Rockefeller Center
Rockefeller Center
21,436 Reviews
New York City, NY
Battery Park
Battery Park
2,255 Reviews
New York City, NY
Staten Island Ferry
Staten Island Ferry
18,682 Reviews
New York City, NY
Court Street
Court Street
106 Reviews
Hoboken, NJ
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Montague Street
Montague Street
87 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Cafe Cranberry
Cafe Cranberry
642 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn Heights
Brooklyn Heights
630 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Cafe China
Cafe China
435 Reviews
New York City, NY
Little Italy
Little Italy
3,192 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hotel Mulberry
Hotel Mulberry
620 Reviews
New York City, NY
SoHo
SoHo
3,677 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
114,454 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Museum at FIT
The Museum at FIT
184 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Review My Plans

Let me know exactly when you are going to "ride the model boats in Central Park" that should be a good photo-op.

FYI the model boats are radio controlled motorized (scale model) vessels either wind or motor powered - you do not ride in them.

Just a point of information.

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
114,454 Reviews
New York City, NY
Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
426 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Review My Plans

I spent 6 hours in the Natural History Museum last week.

Definitely lots of school kids but they tend to move on pretty quickly, some older ones really not giving a damn about most things.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please Review My Plans

I don't know.... I don't have children, but none of that sounds like it would be much fun for two girls ages 5 and 6, except for Sunday in the Park and going to the candy store.

US
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Please Review My Plans

Traveling Guy: Ok, thats a good remark. What would you think I can add to the trip to make it more fun for the girls?

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please Review My Plans

Maybe the Circle Line cruise?

You might like to start another thread with a more specific title about traveling to nyc with young children. You'll probably get some good responses from parents who've been there, done that.