We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report April 2-4

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
592 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report April 2-4

Just back from a weekend trip with my 18 year old daughter. Had a great time, as usual. Just a few highlights:

Friday, April 2nd - arrived at 11:00 a.m., taxi to Embassy Suites in Financial District. Left our bags at the hotel and took off to find the subway. Ended up walking to Chambers & Church, took the subway up to 72nd St and Central Park West. Beautiful day. Walked to 73rd & Columbus to Alice's Tea Cup - had an hour's wait for a table, so put our name in and headed to the park. Stopped at a street vendor on the way and had a hot dog - we ere famished! Walked around the park a bit - remembered I had my pedometer with me, so I put it on. Got our call in about an hour that a table was ready so headed back to the restaurant. Had a very good afternoon tea with 3 kinds of scones, sandwiches, cookies, cake & of course, tea for under $40. Loved it & will definitely go back!

Down to 50th St to Top of the Rock where we found a 2 hour wait and hordes of people on the streets. We got tickets for Sunday morning and left, walked down 5th Ave to the library, sat awhile & people watched. Over to Times Square, walked through that mess for a bit (I'm not a TS fan, but it was daughter's first time and she had to see it - she agreed it was a mess, but enjoyed having her picture taken with Spiderman on the street!). Walked more going toward 34th St. Went to Macy's and a couple of other stores. We had tickets to the 7:30 p.m. show at the National Comedy Theater on 36th St. between 8th & 9th Aves. Wonderful show - highly recommend it for families, and very cheap too - $27 for the two of us!

Back to the hotel after the show, via subway. Got a bit lost after coming out of the station, it sure looks a lot different in the dark! Finally found our way, got out baggage & keys, up to room and collapsed. Checked my pedometer: we'd walked 7 miles since being in the park!

Saturday, April 3rd - Up at 6am, let daughter sleep until 7:00. She is hard to wake up, by the time she was ready and we'd gone to the free breakfast buffet at the ES, it was 8:30. Had omelets and fruit for breakfast, then to the subway. Took it to 34th St, headed west on foot for 12th Ave. We were going to Pier 78 at 38th & 12th for NYC Waterways 90 minute boat tour - made it there at 9:55 a.m. only to find out they had changed the time of the tour to 11:00. Lots of other people in line thought it was 10:00 as well. So we sat for an hour waiting, finally got on the boat and took the tour. Very nice, as usual. This was my first time taking it with NY Waterways, I've done Circle Line 4 times. Liked this one because it was a bit shorter, but you stil saw the same sites. It was so cold out there, glad they had plenty of seating inside & turned the heat on!

We were supposed to meet a friend at 12:30 at Union Square - texted her to let her know that wasn't happening due to the time change. Tried to work out a different meeting time, but she had other obligations so it didn't work out. Disappointing, but thought we'd try to see her later in the day at the hotel she works at. We caught the NY Waterways free bus down to Greenwich Village. Walked around, found a couple of bakeries where we bought black & white cookies and a loaf of bread & a few other items. Had lunch at Bleecker St. Pizza - the sign out front said it was voted best pizza in NYC by Food Network 3 years in a row . We decided they were right - fabulous! Definitely one to put on the list of places to always visit while in NYC! We each had a slice, then split another slice. I could have had another, but decided to stop while I still had room for my black & white cookie! I've had both John's and Grimaldi's on past visits, and this one was better than either of those!

Got the subway from there to Union Square - stopped by the Strand and attempted Max Brenner's, but it was a madhouse so we left. Took the subway & went back to the hotel to drop off our purchases & rest a bit. Ended up both of us fell asleep, next thing we knew it was 6:00. We left to get something to eat - had dinner at Chevy's at the hotel. The plan was to eat then go up to Soho to see our friend we had missed earlier. But, daughter wasn't feeling great, so we went back to the room after dinner & had an early night in. Watched some tv and fell asleep around 10:00.

Sunday, April 5th - Last day! Both of us are feeling very tired by now. We'd walked 5 1/2 miles on Saturday and more was planned for today. We had our tickets for Top of the Rock for 11:00, so after our breakfast buffet, we headed there on the subway. Views were great, as usual, but it was very crowded, so we left and were on the way down at 11:45.

Took the subway down to Broadway/Lafayette St, then transferred to the #6 to City Hall Park. We were wanting to go to J & R, which we found with no problem. Went into the camera store first, where I purchased a nice new camera for myself. Got a great deal so I was happy! Then went into a couple of the other stores, and decided to sit at the park awhile and play with the new camera.

While sitting in the park, we helped some people find their way to Columbus Park and felt pretty good about being able to direct them. We rested there around half an hour, then decided to walk over to Vesey and go to St. Paul's, which we could see from where we were sitting. As we rounded the corner there on Broadway/Vesey/Park Row, we saw the J & R Computer store, which we hadn't seen since we hadn't walked that far on the street before going to the park. Daughter is a computer nut, so she went in. I walked around the area while waiting, & took a few pictures.

We got a hot dog (dirty-water dog, as a friend likes to call them), then over to St. Paul's. They've changed it around a bit since last time I was there, the pews were all gone, replaced by chairs. But all the memorabilia remains. Very solemn place, and lovely old church too. After viewing the memorabilia from 9/11, we went outside and sat on one of the benches on the Vesey St. side. Just enjoying the day and resting. Talked about what to do next. It was 1:30 by then, and we needed to leave for the airport by about 3:30 or 4:00. I wanted to walk the Brooklyn Bridge, daughter was tired of walking. She wanted to go to South St. Seaport, but not badly enough to walk there, so we decided to head toward the hotel and stop along the way at a few places.

We walked toward where Century 21 is, not with the intent of going there, but just to see what was over by there. Century 21 was closed, due to Easter, and we saw some people who weren't too happy about that. Walked back along the front of Ground Zero, back to Vesey. Along Vesey over to the skywalk across West St, then stopped at Pick A Bagel and got a couple of bagels to take home. Over to the Irish Hunger Memorial, that we'd seen several times coming and going. Very nice and not crowded at all.

We got our bags and headed for Laguardia in a cab by 3:30. Figured out pretty quick, but not soon enough to stop him, that the cabbie was going the long route. The ride ended up costing $50 with tip compared to $40 on the way in on Friday when the driver took a shorter route. Daugter was outraged by this and wrote his name & number down wanting me to complain. I didn't feel that he did anything wrong, just took a longer route. We should have been on the ball and told him which way to go to save some money.

Got to the airport and checked in and through security very fast. We were at the gate at 4:00 and the plane didn't leave until 6:15. We got a seat, kicked off our shoes, and both of us read and people watched. Around 5:40 we decided to get something to eat before boarding. We were gone 10 minutes, came back and the waiting room was clear and everyone was on the plane! A little surprised they boarded so quickly, but at least we made it back in time!

Had a great time and can't wait for the next trip! Daughter liked it, I was afraid she wouldn't care too much for it. She didn't like the crowds, but loved the quieter places with less people. Her favorite things were the boat tour and the tea, followed by the parks. She liked seeing the Statue of Liberty more than she thought she would, and Top of the Rock, while too crowded for her, had awesome views that she was glad she got to see. At first she didn't like the subways, but grew to like them after time and was pretty proud of herself that she could figure out which one to take where by the second day.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
251 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report April 2-4

Great trip report, makes me excited for my upcoming trip in May!! I have been hearing lots of good reports for Alice's tea cup, will have to try it when we get there. Thanks for sharing.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report April 2-4

>> Down to 50th St to Top of the Rock where we found a 2 hour wait and hordes of people on the streets. <<

This is the first time I have seen someone write about queues at TOTR. I don't blame you for coming another day.

Thanks for the report.

Edited: 05 April 2010, 13:57
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report April 2-4

So glad you liked Alice's-- my wife and daughter are sort of semi regulars there. Not as fancy as some but it does the trick. Your pizza story is repeated time and again as there are so many places that have good pizza here compared to most of the country that sometimes the unmentioned ones taste the best mostly because you are hungry and thinking about it. That's why i am always amazed at the line at Grimaldi's where I agree it is not all that

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,456 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report April 2-4

Thanks for a great trip report.

Question about that TOTR ticket ... when you came back with your ticket, did you need to wait long or are the times on the ticket honored?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
592 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report April 2-4

<<Question about that TOTR ticket ... when you came back with your ticket, did you need to wait long or are the times on the ticket honored?>>

The time on the ticket is honored. I asked for 2 tickets for 11:00am - the tickets said we had entry from 11:00-11:15. When we got there it was just before 11:00 - above the doorway was a lit up display that said "all tickets before 11:00". Since ours was for 11:00, we couldn't go in right away. You aren't allowed to stand there and wait, so we walked around to a food court and sat a few minutes, then went back. There is someone at the doorway and they look at your ticket to make sure you have the correct time and if you do, you are allowed in. Once you are inside, you are routed onto an elevator, then in line for a photo, then herded into a room with theater screens where you stand and watch a brief movie while they let groups go up. All in all, it took us about 20 minutes from the time we went in until we were at the top.

Not sure what happens if you arrive after the designated time on your tickets though. I would think if it were just a few minutes they would let you go on up, anymore than 15 minutes or so they probably wouldn't.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
592 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report April 2-4

Alice's Tea Cup was very nice. Just can't say enough good things about it. I even did a review on here, which I normally don't do! If you look for it, it usually takes a few days to show up.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,930 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report April 2-4

But what about THE big question????? How much was the trip? ;)) Btw, what was the "long" route? Different bridge?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
592 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report April 2-4

<<But what about THE big question????? How much was the trip? ;)) Btw, what was the "long" route? Different bridge?>>

I haven't figured it out yet, but I know I went over the $1000 mark - just cabs to and from and the tea did that! Oh well, we had a good time, great weather, lots of exercise and I got a new camera - snagged a great bargain at J & R, and did almost everything we wanted to. When I figure it out, I'll post the total.

As for the long route, I'm not sure. I don't know the route names or the bridges other than the Brooklyn Bridge. I know the driver on the way to the hotel on Friday took us into Brooklyn - and the one going back yesterday went past the BB and through a tunnel, then over a bridge with a toll. Before we were even all the way to the airport the meter had hit $39 - so when he stopped at the terminal, it was $42 and some change - with a tip it was $50.

9. Re: Trip Report April 2-4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2010, 07:15