We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi fare from EWR to Upper West Side

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
70 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi fare from EWR to Upper West Side

Does anybody know approximate taxi fare from EWR to Upper West Side. We'd prefer taxi to rail/subway etc because we'll be pretty tired after long flight.

Are there any recommendations about which taxi to take at EWR? I read somewhere thare might be some "wrong" cabs that would cheat, but I did not understand much.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi fare from EWR to Upper West Side

Don't think you'll find a cab from EWR to the UWS. They stay in NJ. Try this car service. Highly recommended.

www.dial7.com/…

Edited: 06 April 2010, 01:54
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi fare from EWR to Upper West Side

Also Carmel gets good reports

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi fare from EWR to Upper West Side

There are three companies we regularly recommend.

My personal favorite is All State. allstatelimo.com

Sometimes you can find discount coupons / codes for All State on the local NYC radio news website - 1010wins.com All State is +1 212 333 3333

Dial 7 is most people's favorite. I don't know exactly why so many people prefer Dial 7 but they're probably the most used and most recommended. dial7.com (+1 212 777 7777)

Carmel is another large one. carmellimo.com +1 212 666 6666

I'd stick with one of the main three outfits.

Avoid the touts at Newark Airport asking whether you need a ride - those are rip offs. Also, avoid the local yellow cabs at Newark Airport if you can - they're not NYC cabs and they don't really know their way around the City (they're also not governed by the NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission). There have been occasional reports of people having difficulty with the cabs they pick up at Newark Airport - therefore I always suggest people prearrange something with one of the three mentioned above (for Newark Airport).

For JFK and LaGuardia - located inside NYC - you can simply get a NYC Taxi.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi fare from EWR to Upper West Side

There is nothing wrong with the cabs at Newark for local trips. The cabs are regulateed by the city of newark and are perfectly safe. I would sugest taking the train to NYC than let More FF guide you.

www.njtransit.com

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28951-i77-k296347…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,261 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi fare from EWR to Upper West Side

A Newark cab will definitely go to the Upper West Side. Not sure where people get their information from! The Newark cab fare to Manhattan is tiered, and I live in the lowest tier so cant help you with the cost, but if you check on the airport site for ground transportation info, it will be there.

I primarily take Airtrain, but if I have to leave in the am before the trains start running, I will take Allstate. Usually I shop too much to take Airtrain for the return trip from the airport. I never take a car service car FROM the airport even when the company is paying - I just jump in a cab. Its too much hassle/stress to find the car and I dont want to pay them extra to come in and fetch me, then have to follow them back to wherever they parked.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,261 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi fare from EWR to Upper West Side

Also, since I live on the grid, Ive never had to give a Newark cab directions to my apartment.

It takes 2 minutes to mapquest directions to the Upper West side location from Newark Airport. I recently had to take a Chicago cab to the burbs, and a suburban cab back to Chicago. I just mapquested it, handed the driver the directions - and it was very simple. There is no reason why a Newark cab cant find their way around NYC, but if you want to be 100% sure, just mapquest it.

7. Re: Taxi fare from EWR to Upper West Side

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2010, 06:22