We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary- Work In Progress

North Attleboro...
Level Contributor
260 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary- Work In Progress

My friend and I are traveling to NYC April 21st through April 24th. We are staying at The Hotel at Times Square. Below is a tentative itinerary (still quite a few things up in the air) so we'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Wednesday 4/21

Arrive at hotel late afternoon- check in, park car, etc.

Possibly walk to Times Square to check it out

Other suggestions?

Carnegie Deli for dinner?

Thursday 4/22

7:00 am Head to Rockefeller Plaza- head towards Today Show area? Not sure what else to do in this time period

11:00 am Statue of Liberty- earlier tickets were sold out :-( We will be taking the subway to Battery Park so planning on being there (meaning physically in Battery Park) around 10:15 Does that make sense?

Ellis Island

Tribute World Trade Center Museum (we won't be able to do a guided tour since Ellis Island may conflict, but hoping to do an audio tour on our own)

St. Paul's Cathredal

Friday April 23

Live! with Regis and Kelly (Arriving there at 7:45 am for check in via subway)

Empire State Building (weather permitting)

Sex and the City Tour??? 3:00 or Museum of Modern Art late afternoon

Saturday April 24

Probably heading home around Noon- not sure what to do in the morning

Comments? Suggestions? Let me know if you need more info...Thanks in advance.

North Attleboro...
Level Contributor
260 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary- Work In Progress

Bump

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary- Work In Progress

How about a Broadway show?

North Attleboro...
Level Contributor
260 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary- Work In Progress

I'm from the Boston area so I actually have been to my fair share of shows- have seen Wicked, Lion King, Mama Mia, etc. Thanks for the suggestion though.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary- Work In Progress

Are you wedded to the idea of doing the Empire State Building? If not, Top of the Rock -- the observatory atop 30 Rockefeller Plaza -- opens at 8 AM so you could easily do that Thursday morning before heading for Battery Park; that would also free up more time on Friday.

www.topoftherocknyc.com/welcome/default.aspx

I prefer TOTR (less expensive than ESB, shorter lines, much more pleasant ambiance) & they offer a nicely priced combination ticket: TOTR + Museum of Modern Art for $30, which is an excellent value, and you don't have to do both on the same day. I recommend that you avoid MOMA after 4 PM on Fridays, when admission is free and so it gets *really* crowded.

topoftherocknyc.com/specialoffers/…

If you're not entirely certain that you two will visit MOMA, here's a discount coupon to use at the TOTR box office:

www.theatermania.com/extras/TopOfTheRock/

I like the Carnegie Deli's cheesecake, but it wouldn't be my choice for a meal. I'd like to see you two spend some time in the Village, the Lower East Side -- and NYC offers so much more, and more diverse, theatre possibilities beyond the usual Broadway fare :-) Look at all the discounts available in the left-hand column here [ignore the High Demand Shows -- there aren't discounts on those]:

http://www.broadwaybox.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary- Work In Progress

P.S. Take a look at what discounted tix for harbor cruises, comedy shows, other performances, etc. you could get through Goldstar:

http://www.goldstar.com/events/browse/10112

You have to be a Goldstar "member" but it costs nothing to join AND they cover Boston as well:

http://www.goldstar.com/events/browse/02206

North Attleboro...
Level Contributor
260 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary- Work In Progress

Thanks so much for the feedback CockleCove. I will definitely look into Top of the Rock further- I had actually researced both TOTR and Empire State Building, but couldn't find significant details between the two. Are there any? I like the sounds of that combination pass with the MOMA...it's so close to our hotel we could even consider going there Saturday morning before we head out. Thanks for the Goldstar suggestion too!

Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary- Work In Progress

ChrissyRob,

7:00 isn't quite early enough for the Today show. If you get there around 6:30 AM, you should be able to get a spot on the barricades surrounding the outdoor portion of the show.

Today runs to 9 AM. 30 Rock, home of Top Of The Rock, is directly across the street. Walk in from Rock Plaza, into the door overhung by a bas-relief of an angry god Jupiter. Head down the right-hand hallway to the TOTR office. It's exactly the same price as the Empire State Building, but there usually is much less time spent waiting in a crowded, stuffy second-floor hallway. I'm a tourguide who has spent far too many hours in that hall.

But in case you have second thoughts about going up the ESB, I'll privately email you their phone number.

TourguideStan

Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary- Work In Progress

Last Friday there was an immense line of people waiting to get into MoMA for free. But then it was Good Friday and many thousands of people were in town for Easter/Passover. Still, expect a (smaller) line.

When at Battery Park, there are nearby museums such as the Museum of the American Indian (look for a grand stone building with a pink/green roof), and New York Unearthed, a tiny archeological museum tucked between the "tin can" building on stilts and the Chapel of Mother Seton, which is across the street from the Staten Island Ferry. It centers mainly on the Dutch/English colonial period.

Just up Broadway from the American Indian Museum is Bowling Green, an oval park. At the far end is the Charging Bull sculpture, which people like to be photographed with.

Farther away in Battery Park City, but still walking distance, are the Museum of Jewish Heritage and the Irish Hunger Memorial.

The WTC is a good 10 blocks up Trinity Place, and KUDOS TO YOU for wanting to see St. Paul's Chapel! It's worth the trip.

TourguideStan

North Attleboro...
Level Contributor
260 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary- Work In Progress

Hi Stan,

So it sounds like you think that going to SOL, Ellis Island, WTC Museum, and St. Paul's Chapel is doable in that time frame? I thought it would be wise to see all of those sites on the same day.

Christine

North Attleboro...
Level Contributor
260 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary- Work In Progress

If we end up going to TOTR on Thursday instead of the Empire State Building on Friday what should we do on Friday instead? Not sure about that SATC tour...is it worth losing 3 1/2 hours in our day?