We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days~What to do?

Abbotsford,BC
Level Contributor
118 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
3 days~What to do?

First time in New York. Next weekend (Fri 7am-Monday 7am)

Am interested in doing 3 very busy days.

2 girls~Mid thirties

Staying close to Times Square

Want to see & experience as much as possible.

I don't want to wait in line ups

Is there a particular order that makes the most sense?

Want to see:

*Empire State Building

*Statue of liberty

*Rockefeller

*Ground Zero

*Times Square

*MOMA

*Harlem Market

*Hell's kitchen

*Broadway show

*Greenwich Village

*Little Italy

*China Town

*Central park

*Saint Patrick's cathedral

What am i missing? Any tips,price list,best times,etc. would be greatly appreciated.This is a bit of a last minute trip.

Thx

St. Paul's Chapel
Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
St. Thomas Church
Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Times Square Church
Churches & Cathedrals
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days~What to do?

How about Brooklyn?

Arizona
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days~What to do?

No Museums? The Met and The American Museum of Natural History are both at Central Park. There's also the Guggenheim. Oh, and Grand Central Station.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days~What to do?

good call on the Met - I am not a musuem person but I love it.

Something for everyone.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
11 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days~What to do?

If you plan your day accordingly you might be able to get to do a lot of things, be out of the hotel by 9 am no later than that, tour bus might be a great choise, you can hop on and hop of to all those places that you want to go, some included the attraction, think twice before you buy city passes, even tough math wise is cheap but you can only do so much in one day, for example statue of liberty trip it will take you half a day to tour arround, empire state building long line to get up there unless if you go in the morning, central park is huge, so might not be worth unless if you stay longer that 3 days, good luck with your trip!!

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days~What to do?

Try looking at this for some ideas !!!

frommers.com/destinations/…0021020791.html

new york
Level Contributor
121 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days~What to do?

I am just a frequent visitor so other posters can give more info then me, but a few thoughts...Statue of Liberty was not worth the long wait in line for me (and I am a serious history buff). Tickets should be bought in advance as they often sell out the whole day early. Airport type security and long lines. If weather good and you have time, maybe a Circle Line cruise instead to give you a close up of the statue, get some views of Manhattan? MOMA, Rockefeller Plaza and St Patricks all near each other and 10 min walk from Times Square. There is the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market on W.39th between 9th and 10th on Sat and Sun and an easy walk from Times Square. The market is outside and a fun thing to do on a nice day The flea market has a shuttle bus that will take you to the Chelsea area for $1. I walk to the West Village from there. Ground Zero...do you want to just look or have a tour? You can rent an audio tour or take a walking tour. I would do this first thing in the morning, then visit St Pauls Chapel nearby. You can walk to Chinatown from here. Little Italy is now part of Chinatown. I like to walk and I feel that walking is part of the experience of NY, I have friends who swear by the bus tours that give a whole overview of NY without the walking. Natural Museum of History , you don't have the time, the MET I feel is for serious art lovers and although I love it, I would rather be outside and experiencing NY on a nice day. I often walk to Central Park from St Patricks, a little hike for some, but you can walk up 5th ave, see Tiffany's, Trump Tower, go thru the southern end of Central Park, come out on the west side and walk down Broadway towards Time Square. Wear comfortable shoes.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days~What to do?

There is more to the MET than serious art - I am many things but a serious art lover is not one of them

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days~What to do?

Rachele, the first thing that you have to realize is that in your short period of time, you will just not be able to see and do everything - no matter how busy your days are. Any attempt to do so will result in you rushing around from sight to sight without being able to stop and smell the roses.

Day One: Downtown, Chinatown and the Village.

Take the subway all the way to the bottom of Manhattan and board the Staten island Ferry. Sit on the right side of the boat and it will pass by the Statue of Liberty. On the way back, sit or stand at the front rail for great photos of your return to Manhattan island. After the ferry lands, walk up Broadway. Along the way you will pass: Bowling Green, Customs House, Charging Bull, Wall Street, Trinity Church, Century 21, Trade Center Site, St Pauls Chapel.

Cut through City Hall Park and you will pass the Brooklyn Bridge. Continue north on Centre Street past the courts and make a right on Worth Street. After two blocks you are in China Town. Mott Street, Canal Street and East Broadway are busy streets here.

From Chinatown head west on Canal Street and North on Broadway and you will get right to the Village. Make a right on Broadway and you will come to the east village. Make a left and you will hit the west village. The west is prettier and the east is funkier.

Day Two: Here you have your midtown sights: ESB, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, Hells Kitchen, St. Patricks. Get a map and plot out your route. For lunch, grab some takeout and eat it picnic style in Central Park. At night, take in a Broadway show and have dinner in Hells Kitchen.

Day three: The Met, MOMA. and maybe a trip up to Harlem.

What are you missing. Well, you are missing all two million of us in Brooklyn. You are missing beautiful Park Slope and the nightlife in Williamsburg. You are missing Brighton Beach and Coney Island. You are missing all of Queens including Jackson Heights. You are missing the Bronx, home of the Botanic Gardens, Wave Hill and the Yankees. You are missing the Cloisters and northern Manhattan. But, as it is only three days, I guess that you will have to come back.

9. Re: 3 days~What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2010, 06:24