We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel surcharges and taxes

Belfast
Level Contributor
506 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel surcharges and taxes

I'm a bit shocked to read about the extra charges hotels add to your bill. I got a really good deal for September but apparently hotels can add up to $100 a night for taxes and incidentals.

Is this normal? I don't mind having to add a little but $100 a night almost doulbes my costs.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Best Seller
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,374 reviews
from US$36.00*
England
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel surcharges and taxes

Expect approx 15% extra on your bill, unless you have booked an "all in rate", ....some sites do this. If you book direct with hotel, the tendency is to be quoted net of taxes. It is something you have to be aware of when comparing rates.

Without knowing your fuller details, not sure where $100 per night is coming from ?

Edited: 15 April 2010, 13:34
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel surcharges and taxes

I think you may also be referring to something besides taxes. Most hotels will ask to "swipe" your credit card for "incidentals" (ie minibar, phone calls) and as a security prcaution in case you cause any damage. If you don't have a credit card, you can ask what they'd want per night in cash or you can let them swipe a debit card but this is not a good idea as they may block a certain amount per night from your account that you won't be able to use. Sometimes they take their time in crediting it back to you. But if you do have a credit card and don't use the minibar or phone etc., there's no problem.

new york
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel surcharges and taxes

Taxes should not double your bill. Are you booking through a third party site that charges a big fee?

Belfast
Level Contributor
506 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel surcharges and taxes

Hi

I am staying at the Strand Hotel and am basing the costs on review of the hotel (see link below). I booked through a travel website which didn'ttindicate any extra costs but as I say it was very reasonably priced and am now concerned they could add more to this. I doin't mind a standard 10-15% but any more seems extortionate.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel surcharges and taxes

That post makes no sense. If somebody charged you and extra $100 per night over and above what you booked (excluding taxes which must be charged) why would you write such a glowing review? That person marked that hotel as high as he/she could.

I agree w/ NYWHIZ, it was probably the hold on the card, "just in case" sort of thing.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel surcharges and taxes

Many, but not all, hotels AUTHORIZE additional amounts at check-in for incidentals. The norm is about 20-25% of the base cost of the room. Some hotels do a larger amount, some smaller. Some do a flat amount a night. Since every hotel is different, only your hotel can tell you the amount. BTW the amount is based on the hotels experience with past guests. For example, for some hotels guests might order room service, movies, use the mini-bar make long distance telephone calls, etc. For that hotel the average amount might be $80, or 17% of the room rate. That hotel would probibally authorize $100 a night or 20%. At another hotel the only extra charges might be phone calls. That hotel might authorize $25 a night or just 10% if the room rate (not saying 10%=$25, both are just examples)

At check-out you will only be charged for the room, tax, and any incidentals you have used. The remainder will be released. but that could take a few days.

If you have an AMEX card use that, as the hold does not affect your available credit. If you have two cards try using one for just the hotel. Otherwise, you could talk to the hotel manager and explain you don't want to use the extras, and ask if they could the authorize less. Some, but not all, will do this. However if you then do that and then use any of the amenities the will probibally authorize the full amount.

Now, because most people have cell phones, authorizing money for telephone calls is, IMHO, kind of overkill, but many hotels still do that.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel surcharges and taxes

The review says it's an incidentals fee which is what I was talking about. If you don't have an amex card or other credit card with a high limit, contact the hotel and ask how much they'd want in cash as an incidentals deposit. That may be a better way to handle it and you'd get the cash back on checking out.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel surcharges and taxes

BTW this happens at hotels all over the world. it is not unique to NYC

Belfast
Level Contributor
506 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel surcharges and taxes

Thanks everyone.

I guess I'm just used to only paying for extras I used at check out(usually nil in my case). All hotels take a swipe of your credit card just in case but I've never experienced them actually adding charges to your card for services I won't use and then having to refund after.

Anyway at least I'm prepared now and still looking forward to it immensely.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,170 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel surcharges and taxes

I never knew an AMEX card never actually blocked it off against my limit..

Thanks Al for that one.. I'm always gonna pre auth with my AMEX in future now, just for the sake of it.... and annoy the check in desk people by checking out with a different card.. .muahahahah. :)

M