We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 11th - 18th March 2010

Liverpool
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 11th - 18th March 2010

Hi everyone. This is my trip report; I used this forum to help plan what we were going to do. We are two early 20s, never been to NY before. I did plan what I wanted to do but didn’t have a strict plan as I don’t think I would have enjoyed it as much if I thought I had to be in places at times and fitting things in. The weather whilst we were there was mad; we had pouring rain the first 3 days and blazing sunshine at the end!

I thoroughly enjoyed my time and cannot wait to go again-I have given a rough guide of what we did for our week there and thank you everyone for your contributions to this forum although I didn’t post and ask questions I picked up a lot of information from reading everyone else’s postings!

Day 1

Arrived into JFK at around 12:30 in the afternoon, got a yellow cab for the flat rate to our hotel (Roosevelt Hotel) and whilst waiting for check in had a wander into Times Sq and was completely amazed by the size, colours and people!

Once we had checked in we went to the Empire State Building. That was amazing, you can see for so far and I got all excited as I could pick out some of the buildings I had been reading about on here and in books for the past few months!

A quick meal and happy hour beer in TGIs and then we were in bed for 8pm, tired!

Day 2

Walked up 5th Ave taking everything in, had a proper diner breakfast near Central Park. Went to the National History museum and went Home Alone location spotting! Saw a dancing policewoman directing the traffic and was amazed at the dogs for sale in shop windows!

Another walk around Times Sq (I am sorry buy I have read on here quite a few times people avoid it but I can honestly say we went every day just to look and take it in again!) Had tea in Virgil’s and then went to see Mama Mia.

Day 3

Started out with a walk to Times Sq! Had a walk around the shops there, and then had lunch at Gordon Ramsey’s Maze restaurant. Went back to the hotel to dry out (it was POURING down with rain!) Then we went to the Comedy night at the National Comedy Theatre, it was a truly brilliant night and foe around $8 I fully recommend it!

Day 4

Had breakfast in Grand Central Station and then had a wander around the food market in there which was lovely! Got the underground to Times Sq (still raining!) and went to Toys R Us, ESPN zone etc. Had a visit to Madame Tussauds and then went to see Mary Poppins (we got tickets on the day from the theatre, asked for the restricted view tickets and got the private little boxes in the balcony- they were $23ish each and we had our own armchairs in the little balcony boxes on the sides of the stage!) Mary Poppins was AMAZING, I absolutely loved it!

Walked up to Bloomingdales and got some Uggs, very pleased! Then went back to the hotel for a freshen up and out to Bubba Gump Shrimps for tea (which was another great night, the food was lovely and I was really taken with the set up and the feel of the place).

Day 5

Got to subway to Downtown, had a walked around Wall Street, WTC, Little Italy, Chinatown, Soho and Tribeca. Watched the Liverpool match in Nevada Smiths and then spent the evening getting rather too tipsy in the bars around there.

Day 6

Walked to the West end of the Island, had breakfast in a lovely little diner where it appeared the whole of NYPD were having theirs too! Got the cruise around half of the island and saw SoL and Brooklyn Bridge. We then went to an Irish bar to watch more football.

Walked towards Macys and I had a quick browse (I was in awe and frozen to the spot as couldn’t even decided where to go first!). Then we were off to Madison Sq Gardens for the Ice Hockey it was exactly like you see on films and we really got into the chants and cheering!

Day 7

St Patricks Day –we had breakfast and went to watch the parade for an hour. We then spent the rest of the day in many bars where there were full bands and pipers walking in and playing at the top of their lungs! We finished the night off with a trip to TotR which looked lovely all lit up across the city.

Day 8

Our last day so we had a mega lie in before we checked out. Had another look through the shops on 5th Ave had a walk through Central Park and watched the ice skating. Had a sunbathe in the park and then went to FAO Swartz to look at the BIG piano. Back to Time Sq to say goodbye and then headed off to the airport!

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 11th - 18th March 2010

Hi Stacey !!!

You sure like those bright lights of Times Square, so do I.

I watch England games at times in Nevada Smith's, great atmosphere.

You sure had crazy weather when you were here, but St Patricks Day turned out OK.

Glad you liked the Rangers game, it is a lot of fun. Enjoyed your comment about Macy's, it is BIG !!!

Come back soon, and enjoy NYC again, and remember that in NYC, like in Liverpool,

" You'll Never Walk Alone ".

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 11th - 18th March 2010

Thanks for posting, sounds like a fun trip!

How did you find Virgil's we are thinking of going there for dinner on our first night?

Clare

Liverpool
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 11th - 18th March 2010

Virgil's - I must admit it was a great atmosphere and the drinks were good. I wasn't too taken with my food but that was my own fault as I ordered sea food platter and didn't realise it would all be deep fried!! So the shrimp just shrivelled into a lump of batter!!

My BF loved it, he had the steak and said it was lovely. The starters were cool too!

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 11th - 18th March 2010

Great TR, Stacey, thank you for posting. I am curious how you liked hockey compared to football? I think they're similar (put the ball/puck in the net, offsides,...) but hockey is much faster and more exciting! And I love the sound of the blades on the ice.

-Dee

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,608 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 11th - 18th March 2010

Loved your TR navigated Times Square and the rest of the city very good thanks for posting your journey.

Edited: 18 April 2010, 16:50
Wilts
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 11th - 18th March 2010

I'm a Stacey too :) Cheeky question but just wondering how much you got your Uggs for? They are high on my shopping list when I go, did you find them a lot cheaper than over here? x

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 11th - 18th March 2010

Thanks for the report and congrats on a successful and fun visit! How did you like Mamma Mia? Glad you enjoyed the Rangers hockey game! How did you buy your tickets? That's a popular question here.

Next time you come (and you will), we'll have to get you to eat somewhere besides Times Square touristy places!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 11th - 18th March 2010

I will try and answer the questions...

I really enjoyed the ice-hocky, I haven't ever been to a game before so I wasn't too sure of the rules, but I was so impressed with the pace and skill involved! I will definitely be looking into going to a game in the UK now.

I got my tickets for the hockey on Ebay - I paid around $15 more than the face value and had seats in the middle section. I only got them two days before we flew out, so the price remained reasonable and they were electronically sent so I had them instantly after the auction ended.

Mamma Mia - It was a good way to spend the night but I wouldn't recommend to people. The singing was good but the dancing and the set didn't do it for me (that said I have read many people who enjoyed it so please don't let my response put you off).

Uggs - I got them in Bloomingdales and that meant I didnt get the reduction of the sales tax. They worked out about £60 cheaper than buying them in the UK but I couldn't actually get tall grey classics at home, so I was pleased with getting them!

As for going back, I really cannot wait as there was so much I didn't get to see. Plus I am sure I could spend years exploring all the smaller streets with restaurants and things to do!

I forgot to mention on my original post, I did send off the form for a Big Apple Greeting but I didn't manage to get one due to demand. They were great, emailing me and then leaving a message on my hotel phone explaining and saying sorry, I was really impressed with them even though I didn't get one!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,840 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 11th - 18th March 2010

How was Maze?

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 11th - 18th March 2010

Gordon Ramsey no longer is associated with Maze I believe... he is really not very well regarded here and Maze under him has been a flop.