We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help for mom&daughter with first time to NYC itinerary

Toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
help for mom&daughter with first time to NYC itinerary

hey everyone...

my mom and I (late 50s, late 20s respectively) are travelling to NYC June 4-8th. The forms on here have been so helpful, especially the ones where the destination experts critique people's itineraries... so I am posting mine, with HOPES that we can get some help too! so here goes...

Friday

- arrive laguardia at 1pm

-get to hotel by 3pm - 43rd&9th

-check in, walk around hotel neighbourhood

-dinner **any recommended places to eat around here?

- Top of the Rock - 7pm - for sunset

Saturday

-breakfast near/at hotel

-10am to 4pm - onboardnyc bus tour **we want to see the all the touristy places

-dinner with an uncle in newark or dinner near hotel **again any suggestions? we are open to any cuisine

- (possibly) broadway: in the heights **is this show insanely popular? what are the chances of getting last minute tickets?

Sunday

-10am - museum of natural history

-lunch near gershwin theatre or museum **any suggestions?

-3pm- Wicked (!! - very excited - saw in toronto few years ago and loved it!) - and yes we have our tickets already

-dinner as saturday above -either with uncle or around whereever

Monday

-purchasing a daypass metrocard and planning on exploring/shopping around the city. the places we want to go for sure are:

-chinatown

-dylan's candy bar

-century 21

-katz deli for lunch or dim sum in chinatown **any suggestions?

-etc etc

-** any suggestions on a planned route to be able to hit all these places?

Tuesday

- we would love to go to a fab brunch place around 10am before heading to explore central park or hit any other shops we didn't get to on monday.

-3pm - shuttle back to airport

thanks so much everyone! we really appreciate it and hope we have a fab time in nyc!

Mentioned in this post
NY
Level Contributor
792 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help for mom&daughter with first time to NYC itinerary

As far as restaurants www.menupages.com can give you ideas. We ate at the West Bank Cafe on 42nd Street between 9th and 10'th Avenue. The food was excellent but I thought the portions were small. Hunan Balcony is on 98th Street and Broadway about 17 blocks from the Museum of Natural History and they have great Chinese food.

I do recommend you include much time in Greenwich Village. If you get off the A through F train at West 4th Street, you will find great restaurants and shops to walk around both east and west of the train stop.. Trattoria Pesce Pasta has excellent Italian food near that train station on Bleecker Street and Gene's on11th Street and 6th Avenue has excellent Italian food. The Comedy Cellar is a great comedy club in that area and if you go online, you may get free admission from Sunday to Thursday. There is a 2 food or drink minimum but the prices are reasonable.

I have heard mixed things about In the Heights. Shows I recommend are Mama Mia and Looped on Broadway and Defending the Caveman and White's Lies Off Broadway. We saw White's Lies today and it was hysterical and suspenseful. As far as Broadway and Off Broadway plays, you can wait on line or see if www.broadwaybox.com gives you a good discount up front to avoid waiting on line where you can get discounts but the show you want to see may or may be available the same day.

I like the Paley Center which used to be called the Museum of Television and Radio and but that may not necessarily be your taste.

Have a great trip and let us know how it goes.

Mentioned in this post
West Bank Cafe
West Bank Cafe
302 Reviews
New York City, NY
42nd Street
42nd Street
354 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Museum at FIT
The Museum at FIT
184 Reviews
New York City, NY
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,500 Reviews
New York City, NY
Trattoria Pesce Pasta
Trattoria Pesce Pasta
159 Reviews
New York City, NY
Comedy Cellar
Comedy Cellar
872 Reviews
New York City, NY
new york
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help for mom&daughter with first time to NYC itinerary

I would expect that you can get last minute tickets for in the heights. However , the code on broadwaybox.com is valid for all performances except Sat. eve.

Regarding recommending looped- it closed April 11.

3. Re: help for mom&daughter with first time to NYC itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2010, 06:18