We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,530 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away

Good news for volcano refugees and the rest of the free world ...

nytimes.com/2010/…

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,100 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,413 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away

I still wonder how when they say there was damage to several NATO fighter jets that flew through the ash.

google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gOf6E…

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away

Wouldn't it depend on the density of the ash? Where in the cloud were the fighters flying - how dense was the ash? How long did they remain in the ash cloud?

What will the airlines do to avoid the ash when flights resume? How will they limit exposure of the craft to the ash?

And finally, does anyone really believe any airline would risk the potential loss from lawsuits should they fly in known unsafe conditions?

Edited: 19 April 2010, 19:53
Wilts
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away

I am flying from the UK on saturday and not going to lie, I am pretty scared. I really hope they wouldnt let us fly unless they genuinely thought it was safe, surely its not worth the risk for them let alone us!? Its been making me panic that we would miss our holiday this weekend but it looks like we will be making it now so fingers crossed everything works out ok. I am slightly concerned the ash cloud is going to reach the US coast and we wont be able to come because its blocked you guys off instead of us now!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away

The Jet Stream/prevailing winds are west to east, so a volcano's ash in Iceland will head towards Europe, not west towards the US. Like what we saw.

Strangely, hurricanes go East to West, form off of Africa and go west towards the US, Carribean, Central America

Antwerp
Level Contributor
373 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away

Knowing that the army is not giving "inside info" so easy...

I hope that the decision to fly again, is not made by "money thoughts" of multinationals...there are a lot of scrupulous people, when money is getting involved...

Hope that everybody is flying safe!!!!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away

As my dear husband will be piloting one of those first jets across the pond, I pray that the authorities are basing the decision on safety and not economics. If they are basing it on economics, I hope they are considering the potential cost of a crash including replacement of aircraft and lawsuits. Much as I would like him to return home as I am exhausted from single parenting including driving three non-driving teens to all activities for the past 6 days, I would rather he stay in lovely Italy and wait for a safe return. Fingers crossed that all will be safely home soon! Moms

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away

Couldn't be a lovelier place to be stranded!

Antwerp
Level Contributor
373 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away

Hey Momstravel, I really hope that your "precious" gets home SAFE... and you are right, there are far more worse places to stay, than Italy... :o))

but just read in the newspaper, that even Air Canada, is cancelling some DOMESTIC flights from now on....

Nature can be powerful... and we humans, can be VERY small...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,318 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away

I wouldn't get on one of these flights yet - I was reading today about how Europe doesn't have the same type of high tech equipment we do to send up into something like this ash cloud to measure it, determine its content, etc.

That concern is being raised in a number of articles - some of in UK papers.

It doesn't seem like there have been enough test flights yet - I don't know, I hate to fly anyway so I'm extra nervous and I'm still wavering about my flight to Rome on Saturday. I assume (maybe incorrectly) it will go but I also imagine huge delays with all the craziness that will ensue in airports worldwide as they being flying again.

They have to be making this decision for the right reason - but, I've read all these statements about how this is costing so many millions per day and that some of the airlines may go bankrupt if this were to keep up for even a few more days.

Safe travels to everyone!

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away

Us Europeans are not as dumb as you seem think....and passenger planes will NOT be flying through the volcanic ash clouds like F-16 fighters did...that was the whole point of this silence in air traffic, for crying out loud!

Over here, journalists are already feasting on the idea that this air traffic stop lasted far longer than necessary....geez, don't you just hate these people...anyway, I have total confidence the reopening of the skies will only come into effect when all is truely safe!