We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stranded and loving it!

UK
Level Contributor
256 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Stranded and loving it!

I have to pretend to my work colleagues that it is hellish being stuck in NYC, but I need no such pretence with you good people.

I am now here with Mrs U until Sunday and I was thinking of taking a train trip from one of the stations (preferably grand Central) to somewhere upstate for a day trip.

It seems to me that this will be the perfect time fo year and the perfect opportunity to do it, but I may be missing some impracticalities as I have never even thought about doing this before (venturing off Manhattan is done every trip, though)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully received

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,520 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stranded and loving it!

Sounds like a great idea. For a daytrip consider Cold Spring or Beacon. If you like touring country homes, Kykuit and Phillipsburg Manor are also great and closer.

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/outbound.htm

UK
Level Contributor
256 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stranded and loving it!

Thanks for the prompt response - someone mentioned Beacon to me in a bar last night so I will check that out.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stranded and loving it!

The only problem with going upstate is that unlike the city you may need a car to see much once you arrive at the train station....sometimes they are distant from the center of town..... If you have a destination in mind I bet someone here can tell you the best way to get there once you arrive in the town... If you go on line what you are looking for is METRO NORTH.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,520 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stranded and loving it!

There are taxis at most of the train stations that will take you where you want to go if the station is not right in/near the center of town. Some of the day trips I linked include transport.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stranded and loving it!

Highly recommend a trip to Kykuit. Here's the report of my visit:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1473197…

However - you need to check if it's open. From memory, it's only open from May - October.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stranded and loving it!

bilmin09 is right, but I believe that there are special buses to visit DIA:Beacon (the contemporary art museum.) One of the best collections of Richard Serras. Also, it's very easy to get a local taxi to the famous mansions up there.

I'd add Rhinebeck aand Hyde Park to the list. Take Metro-North RR to Rhinecliff.

http://www.rhinebeck.com/resources.html

You have Franklin Roosevelt's home (Springwood Mansion), Eleanor Roosevelt's later home (Val Kill Mansion), and the Vanderbilt Mansion. And the Beekman Arms - where George Washington actually did sleep!

iloveny.com/Cities-And-Towns/rhinebeck.aspx

igougo.com/attractions-reviews-b99999-Rhineb…

How did they live without air conditioning?!?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stranded and loving it!

If you want to just go for a day, I would also recommend Mohonk Mountain House in upstate New York (probably a 2-hr drive). You can reserve dinner or lunch which would allow you to walk around the property and do some hikes on some trails. I've done the rock scrambling long time ago and it was a lot of fun but a bit sweaty and dirty. http://www.mohonk.com/

If you have several days, I would either drive up north to Niagara Falls (7-hr drive?) or drive south to Washington DC (3-4 hr drive depending on traffic).

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stranded and loving it!

We have forwarded this message to your company and your supervisor so you will have some explaining to do when you get back there in October !

Anglesey
Level Contributor
549 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stranded and loving it!

Blimin - you have put a lovely smile on my face :) :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stranded and loving it!

Have you already seen Brooklyn? Long Beach? What about Philadelphia? Atlantic City?