We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Tours

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
New York Tours

Just wondering if anyone has taken the Comprehensive See It All New York Shuttle Tour that includes the 75 minute boat cruise...they list the price as being around $89 and you have only 35 people on the bus and a tour guide..also is the 75 minute boat cruise included in the 5 1/2 hours as we are only in N.Y. for the day so we don't have a ton of time......just wanted some feedback if this is worthwhile as it sounds like an amazing deal and just want to make sure there aren't any negatives....its appreciated!

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours, Food Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
CityRover Walks NY
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Tours

Seeing the city by bus is the pits--- too much traffic and sometimes the things you really want to see are high up and not able to be seen from those buses.

I don't think it is an amazing deal when compared to the $8.25 fun pass from the MTA and taking the subway to things you really want to see plus whatever the cost of one the many river cruises is.... I have seen these buses go by and the people inside look rather bored. Most here are not into many of these packaged tours but if you do no research and are the type that is going to believe what the tour guide tells you to be gospel go for it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Tours

Think bil's "rather bored" comment refers to some hop-off/hop-on bus customers; I've encountered a fair number of OnBoard passengers (they use the smaller mini-coaches) because that "boat cruise" is actually the Staten Island Ferry so have eavesdropped on their guides' narrative at the terminal and thought they were good. And of course, you won't see anything high up from the subterranean subway ;-)

That said, I would suggest doing one of the tours offered by Real New York -- where you travel around by foot and the subway -- or Marvelous Manhattan/King of New York (mini-motor coach) if you'd really like to do a 1-day tour for an overview. As indicated above, OnBoard includes the Staten Island Ferry but that's free to everyone & something you can do whenever it best suits you -- or take one of the harbor cruises that brings you closer to the Statue of Liberty than the Ferry does.

Also, OnBoard's lunch break is at South Street Seaport. While I'm not as down on the Seaport as many of the locals on the forum, having lunch at Katz's Delicatessen (the stop on the Marvelous Manhattan tour) would be so much better!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Tours

no actually CC I was referring to the bored looks of the people in the vans not the HOHO-- at least in the HOHO if you are on the top you can look up and see something and if the boat cruise is in fact the SIF and lunch at south street seaport then it really is a rip off. The subway as you know is meant for point to point transportation and I too think that the concept of the Real new York tours is the way to go.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York Tours

Thank you for your imformative input....it has really helped in making our decision...apreciate it!

5. Re: New York Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2010, 05:17