We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for June w/ 2 kids - pls critique!

Apex, NC
Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for June w/ 2 kids - pls critique!

We will be in NY in late June, staying at the Doubletree Guest Suites, Times Square. Kids are 8 and almost 5. The focus of the trip is trying to see things that interest all 4 of us, so while we'd love to see shows or take in museums, we have to consider that the kids just won't last through that. :)

Day 1:

Arrive around 3pm, check in to hotel.

Wander around Times Square

Toys R Us store

Hershey's/M&M's store

Dinner @ Ellen's Stardust Diner

Day 2:

Empire State Bldg

NY Skyride

NY Library

Bryant Park

Lunch & Rest

Madame Tussauds

Carmine's for dinner @ 5:30

Day 3:

Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island

Ground Zero

Wall Street (walk around)

Lunch & Rest

Top of the Rock

Dinner (no ressies yet)

Day 4:

Central Park Zoo

Circle Line Cruise (late afternoon)

Dinner @ Patzeria pizza (is this the best pizza option with kids?)

Day 5:

American Girl brunch & store

(need something for DH & DS5 to do while girls are here! any suggestions?)

St. Patricks Cathedral

FAO Schwarz

Dinner at Peter Luger's @ 5:45pm

My main questions:

*does all this sound geographically reasonable?

*am i allowing enough time to see each thing?

*is there anything i'm missing that you think is a must-see/must-do??

*any kid-appropriate restaurants I should consider?

THANKS all for your help!

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for June w/ 2 kids - pls critique!

Send Dad and son to the Intrepid

http://intrepidmuseum.org/

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for June w/ 2 kids - pls critique!

In theory you are fine. However some changes:

Skip Ellen's Startdust Diner. You can go to John's Pizza in the Ed Sullivan Theater(David Letterman tapes there) or Carnegie Deli for a real NY Experience.

Carmine's is great and make sure you have the reservation otherwise expect a long wait for a table. If you go to Bryant Park eat a light lunch since food at Carmine's is plenty for all.

Skip top of the Rock. Its for romance not for kids. Go eat in Chinatown or Little Italy and you can walk all this from Wall Street and then continue up to the Village.

Add the Intrepid as suggested for Dad and sons. Great idea but can take half the day too. If you do the Zoo then do FAO Schwartz the same day since its just outside the zoo.

Peter Lugers is ok for adults but too much food for kids.

What about a show for the kids and adults one night. Plenty of choices(Lion King, Mary Poppins, Blue Man Group). And NY without a show is not really a trip to NY with so much crammed in.

Remember to be ready to skip some of this since this is a heavy schedule.

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for June w/ 2 kids - pls critique!

Hi wesch .... just a few random comments.

Day 3 looks a little iffy to me, time-wise. Not sure you can fit in SOL/Ellis Island, Ground Zero and Wall Street before lunch unless you're not planning to go to the crown and/or spend much time at Ellis Island.

I think Peter Luger would be fine if they allow to, say, order the steak for three for your family of four, considering the kids' smaller appetites. I don't know if they charge for the extra plate but it wouldn't surprise me (many restaurants do.)

Circle Line in the late afternoon on Day 4 might be problematic if you're considering full three hour island cruise and want to have dinner relatively early.

Just a fair warning ... the NY Skyride does not get very good reviews on this website.

http://tinyurl.com/2dd4p7g

Level Contributor
35,022 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for June w/ 2 kids - pls critique!

Sounds like a very well planned trip. I would allow ample time for Central Park, it's a gorgeous park and a very nice place to unwind and relax while in NYC. If you do want to take in a show, the Lion King is amazing! :)

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for June w/ 2 kids - pls critique!

I would ditch Madame Tussauds, nothing NY there and the Skyride at ESB - gets poor reviews for the money.

Peter Luger's steakhouse (pretty pricey place for children) mainly an adult venue.

And, remember - itineraries are made to be broken, be flexible with yours just in case something comes up, weather, etc.

Have fun!

Edited: 05 May 2010, 16:52
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for June w/ 2 kids - pls critique!

Skip the sky ride at ESB. I did it in 2009 --- dumb, dumb, dumb and a waste of money!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for June w/ 2 kids - pls critique!

I was also going to suggest sending your son and husband to the Intrepid, but if you want to keep the family relatively close together, geographically speaking ... perhaps Central Park and just doing a bit of "exploring" there might work ...

Toronto
Level Contributor
362 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for June w/ 2 kids - pls critique!

you could send dad and boys to Sony Wonderlab

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for June w/ 2 kids - pls critique!

I think that at 5 years old (almost??) a broadway show in any form is a waste of money. Seats are too expensive for you and those around you to be bothered by the normal honest actions of a 5 year old. There are so many other things that are more appropriate don't waste your time or money.

portland or
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for June w/ 2 kids - pls critique!

On the day you explore Central Park you could explore a couple of the playgrounds. On the Central Park West side there is the Diana Ross Playground (81st) and the Spector Playground (85th). (Apparently there are 19 playgrounds throughout the park!) Have an adult run to a deli (Zabar's comes to mind on Broadway between 80th and 81st) while the kids are playing and get some picnic food. Have a picnic lunch in Central Park! Not far from that location is the Children's Museum between Broadway and Amsterdam on 83rd St. (www.cmom.org). Children's Museums are always a big hit with our kids ages 4 and 7.