We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

better location in new york

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
141 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
better location in new york

We have 2 options for an apartment in New York for 5 days.

One is a penthouse on W 52nd st. and 10th ave, and costs 425 per night.

The other is on E 4th st. and Ave B, and costs only 275 per night.

Both looks nice.

What's your opinion?

kingston, ont
Level Contributor
129 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: better location in new york

The most expressed opinion on this forum is rent a hotel room or suite since apartment rentals are illegal and frequently a scam where you lose all your money.

Edited: 12 May 2010, 14:32
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,250 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: better location in new york

My opinion is that you should get a hotel. Please read the FAQ on the right side of your screen about why renting apartments in New York CIty is a BAD idea, and then come back and we will help you find a hotel.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
141 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: better location in new york

Thank you both. The apartments I consider, both appear here on Tripadvisor as vacation rentals. Does what you wrote still applies?

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: better location in new york

Yes, it applies. Even the apartments you find in NYC through tripadvisor are almost certainly unlawful, and may be outright scams where the apartment does not exist. Do yourself a favor: just accept the fact that vacation apartments in NYC are a bad idea, and give them no further thought. Instead, look for a hotel.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
703 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: better location in new york

I'll save some time by answering your next question before you ask it. Why are they advertised on Trip Advisor if they're illegal or non-existent? Because Trip Advisor wants the advertising dollars and does not want to be bothered investigating the legal status of every ad.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
141 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: better location in new york

It says on the tripadvisor posting "Verified property owner ". When you open it, it explains:

Verified property owner typically means…

Enhanced property ownership verification in addition to verification of owner name and address via valid credit card

Established history of renting online

Direct & personal contact

Detailed rental knowledge

Flexible dates & rates

More options in smaller towns

Does that mean nothing?

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: better location in new york

It means nothing. Here is the link to the FAQ you were directed to earlier - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1563270…

Please heed the advice provided and look for a hotel. There are many apartment style hotels that offer more room that traditional hotel rooms, as well as kitchens and other amenities. The Affinia chain has several options. Radio City Apartments (this is a hotel, despite the name) and others are regularly recommended on here. If you provide your specific dates, number in your group, number of beds required and your budget in US Dollars, the experts on here will be able to help you find somewhere legal to stay.

Please know that the people on here are trying to help you avoid losing money and not having a place to stay. There are lots of stories (see link above) of people who have been scammed out of money and shown up to find out their "luxury penthouse apartment" that they rented doesn't even exist. And others who were kicked out on the street after their illegal rental was shut down and vacated.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,201 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: better location in new york

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k36225…

I found a cheaper one for ye

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: better location in new york

Isn't this amazing--- GWB just give the lady the address of either of the hotels you own and be done with it will you---

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: better location in new york

galy: Please read this thread, and the sub-threads linked within.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3608418… Vacation_Rentals_on_TripAdvisor-

Desptie the fact that apartment vacation rentals are 99% illegal in NYC, Trip Advisor will continue to link websites and services for them because Trip Advisor is a business, not a moral compass. ;o)