We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sweet 16, ellen's stardust, and name in lights at times sq?

cape cod ma
Level Contributor
367 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
sweet 16, ellen's stardust, and name in lights at times sq?

HI, does anyone know if Ellen's stardust diner takes reservations? If not, is there a window of opportunity to get in for dinner without a huge wait? We're going for 2 sweet 16 b-days. Also I think I read something about Hershey store in times square putting messages up in lights? Anyone familiar? Thanks for any info!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sweet 16, ellen's stardust, and name in lights at times sq?

You can call them and ask-- If you have a large group probably not. Hershey's does that and it is not expensive but it is only for a relatively short time. Sort of so you can take pictures of it and then somebody else's name goes up.. I think you can do better than Ellen's though. It is really not set up for what you want I think

Athlone
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sweet 16, ellen's stardust, and name in lights at times sq?

Hi joyseas

I was in NYC recently and went to ellens stardust diner because i had read so much about it but i really wouldn't recommend it, the food was terrible, there was 3 of us and not one of us enjoyed our meal!! It's expensive and not very well maintained.The staff singing is a novelty but only 2 of them were any good. I would ask some of the experts on here to recommend somewhere better, just tell them the kind of thing you're looking for and i'm sure they'll help you. I hope you have a wonderful trip!!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sweet 16, ellen's stardust, and name in lights at times sq?

There are much better restaurants to have the birthdays in. As for the kids name up in lights, you can even do that on the Routers building where the entire square will see their name and pictures. This can be arranged ahead of time and they will do it the time you are outside looking. I am not sure who to arrange it with but have seen it a number of times being done.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sweet 16, ellen's stardust, and name in lights at times sq?

Teens love to see their names in lights on Times Square. At the Hershey Store you pay $5.95, give the clerk the message and wait a few minutes. They put your message on the marquis for 15 minutes. It runs in the queue of messages so your message will come up over and over again for that 15 minute time frame. For the specifics, enter the store and proceed past the check out counters. You will see a desk with a computer off to the right. Go to the desk. The clerk will take down the message then give you a piece of paper. You then get in line and pay for the message. After you pay, you take the receipt back to the desk, the clerk hits "enter" and your message should start up within minutes.

As for dining, Ellen's is a lot of fun. Most teens enjoy a meal there once. The food is typical diner food but the waitstaff is fun! You can always dine elsewhere then go to Ellen's for dessert. They make great ice cream treats and the moms can get a drink! Nice.

What else do you plan to do during your trip? With that information, we may have a few more suggestions. I just returned from NYC with my daughter's Girl Scout troop. It is a group of 16 year old girls. We had a great time! Again, let us know your itinerary and we can suggest some other restaurants for dinner. Moms

NC
Level Contributor
91 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sweet 16, ellen's stardust, and name in lights at times sq?

We are here now....if you go to the American Eagle store and buy anything...they will take their picture and put it up on their building.

cape cod ma
Level Contributor
367 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sweet 16, ellen's stardust, and name in lights at times sq?

Thanks for all the info!!!So for the name up in lights, I don't need to arrange ahead of time? That's so great! And I hadn't heard about American eagle doing that - free with purchase? About Ellen's diner, I know that the food isn't great, but I think the kids will really get a kick out of the singing. (They aspire to broadway :) We're not able to take in a show this time, so this is they're entertainment! They're an easy audience.....Momstravel, we've been to NYC several times, and have done alot of big attractions. This time going for some shopping, manicures, and anything that doesn't cost (much) money! I certainly welcome any suggestions, especially as you were there with the same age group. We're only there for 2 days/1 night. Plan to wander central park, 5th ave, times square, soho, village.....staying at Affina Shelburne. Thanks to all!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sweet 16, ellen's stardust, and name in lights at times sq?

Joyseas--- if your kids aspire to Broadway there is no better place to take them than to Ellen's since most who aspire to Broadway end up being waiters and waitresses in this city anyway... they can see what life in the "theater" is really like and see if it is for them

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sweet 16, ellen's stardust, and name in lights at times sq?

If they're singers, why not take them somewhere where they can actually sing themselves? There's karaoke and there are piano bars (no alcohol for them but I'd guess ok with Moms along) where they can get up with a piano player. Marie's Crisis and the Duplex in the village and Brandy's on the upper east side.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sweet 16, ellen's stardust, and name in lights at times sq?

PS, one of the nail salons I use (Bloomie's Nails on 55th between 5th & 6th ave.) is not far from Ellen's.

cape cod ma
Level Contributor
367 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sweet 16, ellen's stardust, and name in lights at times sq?

Bilmin, I know...we have several family members who currently run the theater/waitress gambit. Believe me , when my kids go to college, they'll be getting a degree they can get a job with (hopefully!!)then can pursue acting...but for now, it's just fun..wannabe's like half the teenagers:)

NYWhiz - Thanks! I had no idea there was somewhere the teens could go! I'll look into those...they would love that!