We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

What is the norm for tipping in New York ?

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c71510/New-Yor…

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,114 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

18 - 20% to waiters and waitresses, and to cabbies, for good servce, more for exceptional service. A dollar or two per drink to bartenders.

The linked list is a good guide for everything else.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

Is it that time of year again when the discussion turns to tipping for a week or two ? I can hardly wait

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

Sorry to bring the matter up - I have never been to New York so I just wanted an idea.

I have to say 20% seems to be exorbitant. I am used to tipping what I think the service is worth

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

20% is unfortunately standard - just do it. Some wait staff etc in NYC are really really poorly paid no minimum wage here!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,609 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

There is a ton of threads here on this subject.

Servers in the US are paid differently than they are paid elsewhere so reading up on the matter will help clarify this for you - and why it is different than other places.

New York
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

20% is the standard. A lot of people double the tax which comes out to be about 20%

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

Hi steve_ben ... US tipping customs are often hard for folks from other countries to understand. There have been many debates on the Playa del Carmen forum about this, too, and they usually end the same way ... with the Americans saying 15-20% and the Brits, Europeans and Canadians saying, "You Americans are nuts."

I think part of it stems from the fact that our waiters/waitresses are often paid very little and rely on tips to earn a living wage. If I recall correctly from prior debates on the PDC forum, I think your waiters/waitresses earn a decent wage even without tips?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,609 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

Doubling the 8.75% tax comes out to less than 18% - just to be accurate.

Most people here just factor in the 20% tax as part of their dinner budget - if they think about it at all. I don't. I just tip automatically as it is just part of the cost of the meal as far as I am concerned.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,114 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping

"I am used to tipping what I think the service is worth."

You're also used to eating in London, I'd expect. In this country, the servers are paid almost by tips alone. Minimum wage laws do not apply to servers. The service here is MUCH better than it is in London, (in my and many other people's experience,) and the food is cheaper, because service costs are not included. I know it's not what you're used to, but it's the way we do things here, and if you're not planning to pay the servers their expected wages, you should not eat in restaurants with table service, because it's not fair to the person who will go unpaid.

However, you seem like a nice and reasonable person, so I'm sure that won't be an issue.