We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your Top 5?

London
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Your Top 5?

If you could only see/visit/do five things in New York City, what would they be?

Equally, if you had to choose three (reasonably priced) restaurants to eat in, which ones would they be?

And finally, is there an amazing (again, reasonably priced) hotel you'd love to return to?

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
703 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your Top 5?

You'll get better replies if you specify what you mean by "reasonably priced," for both restaurants and hotels.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your Top 5?

What a loaded question! Broadway show, Central Park, museum of your choice, Liberty/Ellis Island, subway to China Town/Little Italy. Gees! That was hard and a 30m minute debate for my family. So many variables!!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your Top 5?

KhofD, you know us too well!

KateRose, since you're new to the forum, you might not realize that vague questions often get vague answers. Also, without knowing more about your likes and dislikes, you might receive suggestions for, say, all-night poetry recitals, a ticket stub museum and raw-food restaurants without us knowing you detest those things. (Um, you don't happen to love all-night poetry recitals, do you?)

In the right margin of this forum is a list of TOP QUESTIONS about NYC. In that list is a page on top "must sees" and "must dos". There's also a page on useful websites to research your trip. These will help you narrow down your itinerary.

Help us help you.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
703 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your Top 5?

Yeah, I figure by now I can save you guys some time with the stock answers.

My kids want to know what I'm going to do after our New York trip is over -- how am I going to fill the hours that I now spend on Trip Advisor?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your Top 5?

In a city as large as New York, it would be difficult for anyone to pick out their five favorites. Anyway, let me give it a go:

1. Brooklyn Bridge. I have walked or biked over the bridge hundreds of times, and it still gives me a thrill. A must to see.

2. Central or Prospect Park. I am a landscape architecture freak, and Olmstead is the man. He designed both of these wonderful parks.

3. A real neighborhood. For some reason that New Yorkers cannot figure out, tourists always equate Times Square with NYC. I would get away and visit a real neighborhood. Places like Park Slope, Greenwich Village, Jackson Heights, Williamsburg come to mind.

4. Culture. This is such a large category and would depend on your tastes. Museums range from the sublime [MET] to the ridiculous [Museum of Sex]. Music is represented by the Philharmonic at Lincoln Center, but also by Leftover Crack at ABC No Rio. And of course, there is Broadway and off-Broadway.

5. Food. Once again, NYC runs the whole spectrum. I have had great meals at the well respected restaurants like the Union Square Cafe, Gotham and the River Cafe. I have also had delicious meals in Haveli, Cafe Glechick and Home/Made. Delicious comes in all prices.

6. Re: Your Top 5?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 June 2010, 13:31
Edited: 03 June 2010, 13:31
Virginia
Level Contributor
344 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your Top 5?

I can't even start to choose 3 restaurants, but for the five things to do, mine (right at this moment) would be...

1- Walk around Greenwich Village

2- Visit the MOMA

3- Explore Central Park

4- See a Broadway show

5- Shop in one of the bigger shopping areas, like around Union Square

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Your Top 5?

Favorite Attractions:

Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn, Central Park, Grand Central Terminal, Broadway play (though I never go)

Best Reasonable Eats:

Taste Good (Queens), Ploy Thai (Queens), Momofuku-what-cha-ma-call-it (on Gilligans Island/Manhattan)

Hotels:

Well, anywhere NYWhiz tells me to stay

Favorite Color:

Red ..... no make that white .... ah blue ..... (but definitely not any shade of yellow) ...... heck who am I kidding ..... I love all the colors

Quess a Number Between 1 and 10:

Ah ..... this is a hard one ..... okay ..... ah ...... six

If I Could Be Any Animal In The Jungle What Would I Be:

A very indecisive little white bunny rabbit

If A Genie Suddenly Grants Me Three Wishes:

World peace (definitely), cure cancer and to work for TripAdvisor (doesn't everyone?)

If I was Marooned on Island Who Would I Want With Me:

ChipperTex so I can make fun of his southern accent to amuse myself as I watch my youth and good looks go down the tubes

Favorite Song I'm Playing on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3vE67UhAVk

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,755 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your Top 5?

Top 5 attractions (and I've been to NY City twice recently with kids pre-teen/young teen) so it's with that perspective that I post.

1) Ellis Island

2) Tenement Museum (continue the story after leaving Ellis Island)

3) Museum of Natural History

4) Top of the Rock

5) Times Square at Night --- ya gotta see it in all it's glory once in your life ... best if seen AFTER a broadway show (my way of sneaking in a 6th) ;)

Too many restaraunts to choose from! That said, we try to get to Katz's Deli every visit ... even during our pre-kid days.

Loved the Affinia Shelburne. Stayed there right at the end of their renovation period ... tried to book it again for a 2nd trip, but couldn't get the room-style we wanted.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your Top 5?

Mel--- I know you don't get out of Brooklyn much these days in terms of praise but your man Olmstead was also quite a big influence up in Boston

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Necklace