We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Billy Elliot Pre-Theater Dinner Suggestion?

MBG
The Villages...
Level Contributor
233 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Billy Elliot Pre-Theater Dinner Suggestion?

We have tickets for the 8 PM performance of Billy Elliot on Thursday, 6/10 at the Imperial Theater located on W. 45th Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue. Sardis is close, but I am concerned that, while it is a tourist institution, the food based on TA reviews, will be only average. Any recommendations for a nice dinner? My husband would prefer not having to wear a jacket and tie!

Mentioned in this post
Sardi's Restaurant
Sardi's Restaurant
1,737 Reviews
New York City, NY
NY NY
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Billy Elliot Pre-Theater Dinner Suggestion?

The theater is near Restaurant Row. West 46th St., between 8th-9th Aves., has dozens of restaurants that all cater to pre-theater dining. Have a look on menupages.com for reviews and sample menus. My favorites are Joe Allen (pub style), and the Italians -- Orso, Lattanzi (only if you're seated in the enclosed garden), Becco (if you're downstairs). Your husband wouldn't need a jacket/tie at any of those, but you will need a reservation -- some places (like Orso) only keep a one-week reservation book, and it's tough to get in.

MBG
The Villages...
Level Contributor
233 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Billy Elliot Pre-Theater Dinner Suggestion?

Thank you very much!

San Rafael, Calif
Level Contributor
199 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Billy Elliot Pre-Theater Dinner Suggestion?

When we attended Billy Eliot last month we went to Barbetta and had dinner

in the court yard. Very nice. a little pricey. Check it out. They know that they are serving a pre play dinner but don't rush you. We got out in plenty of time and the theatre was about 1 block away.

www.barbettarestaurant.com

Mentioned in this post
Barbetta
Barbetta
462 Reviews
New York City, NY
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Billy Elliot Pre-Theater Dinner Suggestion?

Here are the 25 restaurants on restaurant row (46th street btwn 8th and 9th)

all very walkable

www.restaurantrownyc.com

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Billy Elliot Pre-Theater Dinner Suggestion?

One theater district recommendation I can make is the Delta Grill on 9th Avenue. It's cajun cuisine, which is out of the ordinary, and the environment isn't very upscale. The gumbo and jambalaya are spicy, yet completely satisfying.

http://thedeltagrill.com/

-Amy

Uncle Sam's Tours

MBG
The Villages...
Level Contributor
233 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Billy Elliot Pre-Theater Dinner Suggestion?

We've made a reservation at La Rivista. I'll post a review of the restaurant after we get home --thank you, all!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Billy Elliot Pre-Theater Dinner Suggestion?

La Rivista is a good choice. Good food and decent pricing.

8. Re: Billy Elliot Pre-Theater Dinner Suggestion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2010, 05:17